ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SERIOUS G.A.S this month.  (Read 39432 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: SERIOUS G.A.S this month.
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Yep Hiwatt's stay clean even at high volumes.But they are great amps,very pedal friendly.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, that was my take on it also, a great amp if you have a bunch of pedals, probably work well with a MP1.  And I always liked the look of them, though the small writing Marshalls are my fav for looks.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chamai

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

looking at the hiwatt hi gain 50. i really wish i could take it for a test drive for a few days. but i never seen any old hiwatts in stores.

hair metal amps is my thing.

i was wondering, besides jcm 800 and ada mp1. what are some good hair metal amps? i want them all

i know the mesa mk3's are alright
« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Marshall JMP-1 :thumb-up:
For hair metal cleans a Roland JC 120.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

PrimalScream91

« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Marshall JMP-1 :thumb-up:
For hair metal cleans a Roland JC 120.

I love how some people love the JC until they realize its not a valve amp, then they turn their nose up at it. It's a great sounding amp (for cleans), but I've always loved the sound of a Fender Twin...
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Wow I'm getting old.. I remember when the JC120 came out.  It was popular with jazz players and had a nice reverb IIRC.  In Australia back then the rock apes were using Marshalls, Lenard (http://lenardaudio.com/history.html).  Not everything made it out here, small population and a long way to ship it.  I saw the occasional Hi-Watt (quite rare here) and pedals were in their early stages (MXR phase 45/90, Electro harmonics memory man delay (early TC ? I think)), and just as rare Ampeg. a few Wasp amps and from my home town BAEZ amps (http://www.ozvalveamps.org/baez.htm), now these were ahead of their time, very Marshall "like" amp but better (in the day), first amp I saw with a master vol.  I used to hang out at the BAEZ Music shop every Wednesday arvo an chat with Mick Sampson and his wife (I was 15 ish).  My English teacher at high school had a BAEZ bass head which I used to borrow, sounded great for guitar.  Also these were the first amps I'd seen with PCBs.  This is when I initially had the idea of separate tube preamp and poweramp (along came ADA many years later doing just that).  I suggested the idea to Mick but he wanted to build heads.  A bit off the track, this is all pre hair metal

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Another 80's non-tube is a Gallien Krueger 212SC. Beautiful sounding amp. I have been thinking about picking up a JC 120 for some time now. Queensryche used them for all their cleans prior to the Empire lp. Superb chorusy reverb soaked cleans....mmmmmmm :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

They were mostly clean back in the day, but would overdrive at higher volumes. That was the problem. They were louder than hell to begin with, but to get the overdrive to sustain for you, you had to crank them up even more.

If you are looking for that kind of over drive tone but at a more manageable volume level, I can make two recommendations;

Orange makes a lower powered head these days, that is smaller than a standard head in an all metal case, (I forgot the model number). This is a pretty true sounding head that is around 30 watts I believe, and sounds very much like my old OR-120.

The other option is to get a Monarch Overdrive pedal made by Earthquaker Devices. This is a very good reproduction of that sound but it's a lot lighter than getting another amp head.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Chamai

« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

i actually worked for roland for a few months years ago. but i wasn't really into guitar back then. should of bought myself a jc 120.

i am using a yamaha g100-212 for cleans, its not bad at all.

anyone know why jmp-1 fetch more money than mp1's?
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Chamai

« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

had a pair of old g12t75 speakers that were in my mk3 combo. thank god they are 16ohm. took the v30's out of my orange cab and hook these up in parallel. they work great with the jcm800. i prefer these over the v30's to be honest.

« Last Edit: Time Format by Chamai »
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

I suspect that the JMP-1s are more expensive than MP1s because of the brand ? just my guess, while we are all over the ADA gear many I talk to have not heard of them, or vaguely know of them.
The single ADA slant split stack I bought from a pawn shop has 2 x g12m70s in it.  I wired it to be stereo (2x16ohm) or mono 8ohm). I use it when I don't want to lug my main slant split stack pair (which have boogie celestion 90w 12s in them).  I quite like the g12ms though I saw a few posts etc where they don't like them.  I imagine the g12t75s are similar. Each to their own but I like them  :thumb-up:

Chamai

« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

i feel it really depends on the amp.

certain amps, i would use v30's.

for hair metal, i think 12 75's rule. i think the mp1 works well with these speakers because it scoops out the mids a little.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

@ Chamai,
     The JMP-1 only has a higher price tag because of the name...I certainly isn't because of the tone :nono:

@ Rnolan,
     Your ADA cab didn't have the stock speakers in it then. Obviously, someone didn't like the G-1250's that it came with.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, yeah it's a strange one, a friend spotted it in a Cash Convertors (pawn shop) store so I bought it.  First there was only one cab (unusual for an ADA rig, but this is a glorified pawn shop).  All the screws for the top speaker were all wrong, they'd used the grill screws to mount it  :crazy: (I use the word loosely as it was very loose LoL).  It was a US made cab but with no front nameplate.  My other 2 were made here under license and have very slightly different construction around the jack sockets/plate.  So I fixed the screw issue  :thumb-up: , then used the 2 jacks (one jack (of 3) was missing, again go figure ?) and re-wired it, both jacks inserted > stereo one jack > mono.  And in the process discovered they were g12m 70w.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Oh Boy :amaze:

I guess I can understand your position there. It's slim pickings for ADA gear in Australia, so I can see why it was worth all the bother you had to go through to set yourself up with Split-Stacks. At least you found someone who would build them right over there.

Honestly though, if I had the cash, I'd replace all the Celestions with vintage JBL D-120's Or even Altecs which sound great with ADA gear.

Harley 8)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up