ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running ADA MP1 and JCM 2000 in Stereo = amazing  (Read 12457 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

I understand that Richard, but PA equipment is a lot like guitar equipment. For stereo, you have to bring along that much more gear, and have that many more connections etc.
And that all depends on how much you're getting paid for the gig...is it worth it?
This is the same reason I'm looking at a fly rig for some of the smaller clubs and for Open Mic nights. Around here, you don't even get paid for them.
While nothing gets me off like playing my guitar through a full blown amplification system that sounds completely killer, That's a lot of work for free.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Harley, totally agree, work with what you have (the crowd most likely don't notice or care LoL).  When I was much younger I'd take everything I could, these days I take as little as I need. Though I run the FOH stereo if I can. As you say, we do allot of work for free (or so little it may as well be)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Richard,

Actually, the opposite is true. The audience wants to see the huge back line...that wall of amplifier stacks that tells them in a subconscious way, that they are about to get blown out of the water! Even though most people are oblivious to the fact that the guitar they are hearing is coming through just one cab, and mic'ed through the PA system :lol:

...Ohhh the fickle public :crazy:

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

+1  :thumb-up:

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"

Hey Richard,

Actually, the opposite is true. The audience wants to see the huge back line...that wall of amplifier stacks that tells them in a subconscious way, that they are about to get blown out of the water! Even though most people are oblivious to the fact that the guitar they are hearing is coming through just one cab, and mic'ed through the PA system :lol:

...Ohhh the fickle public :crazy:

Harley 8)

It reminds me Dante's topic "Fake wall of Marshall" : People get impressed by so much gear !
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

THIS IS A REAL THING

People expect the big stack, having no idea they're hearing the PA. I get comments all the time about my tiny little speaker cabs sounding 'huge' and it's funny because, there's still just one mic doing the guitar here....one.

Haha...like a 4x12 (or two) is gonna change that? no. it's not.

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

I always wanted to get one of those little 9v powered Marshall amps that you could clip on your belt.  I'd put it on the front of the stage, run a cable to it and stick a mic in front of it to give the illusion that I was actually using that for my amp setup.  Obviously, my real rig would be hidden offstage...     :lol:

But back in my earlier ADA days, I tried two MP-1 preamps simultaneously wih a Y cord to the inputs.  One was stock and the other was a MOD3.  It took a bit of fussing to get dialed in right, but was pretty neat having one cab with the stock MP-1 sound and the other cab the MOD3 sound. 

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

THIS IS A REAL THING

People expect the big stack, having no idea they're hearing the PA. I get comments all the time about my tiny little speaker cabs sounding 'huge' and it's funny because, there's still just one mic doing the guitar here....one.

Haha...like a 4x12 (or two) is gonna change that? no. it's not.

You know, it's kind of odd that it works this way, but with a single speaker cab, my ears always hear it as being a bolder, more "In-your-face" kind of sound, than it does with a 4x12 cab. When I first noticed that many years ago, I used to think the sound man/engineer wasn't very good. Then a studio engineer explained the frequency cancellations that occur in speaker arrays when they get mic'ed up and mixed with a band. This was when I finally expressed my disappointment at not being able to get a big guitar sound through a wall of speakers in the recordings like I hear in front of the amps. It was an expensive lesson after trying four different studios and ending up with similar results from each one. That's where the Microcabs really shine their brightest. I wouldn't do a live or recorded gig without one now. Set it for a 1x12 sealed cab and dial a bit more thump in it, and it's good to go!

Harley 8)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Could be why my 1x12 cabs project so well, that and the ported enclosure.

Maybe Gerry has an opinion on the 1x12 theory, he uses several of them I believe

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member

Hey Dante,

Ported 1x12's definitely make a difference in a live mix. Being a Strat player myself, I need that extra bass response from the speaker. That allows the Strat to sit better in the live mix, and that is my rule of thumb when recording too. If we have a good sound live, then that's what I want the recordings to sound like too.

Harley 8)

Chamai

i learned through out the years that in house sound guys don't know what they are doing.

best solution is prob bring my own mixer and tell the sound guy to hook it up to the PA. all he needs to do is watch.

electric drums is a must these days
DI the bass
hope for the best for guitars.

anyways. i was just test out different power amps for my MP1. i conclude that tube power amps makes a huge difference. way more balls. not sure if i like my mesa powered MP1 or jcm 2000 powered mp1. time to sell my mosvalve.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up