ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dimarzio Dual Sound = Super Distortion  (Read 14079 times)

El Chiguete

Since now that the Super Distortion comes with more cables for different setups why do they keep making the Dual Sound?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Dimarzio Dual Sound = Super Distortion
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey El, are they the same PU otherwise apart from additional leads ? If they aren't the same then they will sound different, maybe some prefer the dual sound ? particularly if it isn't as "hot" as the super distortion.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

[...]When you get a DP101 Dual Sound, you're also receiving in the container a switch which can be immediately used to facilitate the extra modes of wiring - used to be a mini double pole switch, and nowadays you'll find a compact format push pull pot, 500k with a DPDT switch.

That, the name and model numbers are, as already pointed out, the only differences; the pickup itself is identical[...]

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yeha last night I noticed that too doing research. The reason why I ask is because yesterday I was on a local music store looking out for studio headphones and wondering thru the store I asked about the pickups that they have. There was a couple of other Dimarzios and that Dual Sound that when I ask its at half the price you find in the internet because it was on sale! For sure they probably had it for a long time and just want to get rid of it because no body wants it BUT I've been wanting to get again a Super Distortion for one of my guitars and I believe I shouldn't pass this offer :)

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Half the price = no-brainer!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Half the price = no-brainer!!
+1  :thumb-up: snavel it while you can :whoohoo!:

El Chiguete

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I finish work and go straight there!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Cool, let us know how you go  :wave:

El Chiguete

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I've been busy the last couple of days to take time to put it in the guitar and do testing AND this weekend I might go out of town, but I will try to do that ASAP!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I don't understand this either.  The dual sound is the Super Distortion DP100.  A 4 conductor version.  Every SD I have has four cables.  I have only see 2 conductor verions that are really old like from the 70's.

I own 5-6 of these and they all have 4 cables with a seperate shield wire.  Weird Dimarzio still list it as a seperate model.  But hey if you got a bargain what to go!  I'm big fan hence having so many of them in my bridge.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Dual Sound®
DP101

Take a Super Distortion®, include a push-pull pot for series-parallel or single-coil operation and you have the Dual Sound®. The extra flexibility puts cleaner, crisp tone choices at your control. Lighten up on the lead tone in parallel operation, then roar back in with the standard series position. Use the single-coil mode along with your neck or middle pickup for chopping rhythm tones. If you need brighter, more transparent sounds from your bridge or neck pickup without sacrificing wide, singing crunch, the Dual Sound® nicely fills the bill.

So it is the same output 425mV, bass/mid/treble ratings are the same. The only difference is the push/pull pot.
I have a DP100 super distortion and love the tone from it.  :metal:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Dual Sound®
DP101

Take a Super Distortion®, include a push-pull pot for series-parallel or single-coil operation and you have the Dual Sound®. The extra flexibility puts cleaner, crisp tone choices at your control. Lighten up on the lead tone in parallel operation, then roar back in with the standard series position. Use the single-coil mode along with your neck or middle pickup for chopping rhythm tones. If you need brighter, more transparent sounds from your bridge or neck pickup without sacrificing wide, singing crunch, the Dual Sound® nicely fills the bill.

So it is the same output 425mV, bass/mid/treble ratings are the same. The only difference is the push/pull pot.
I have a DP100 super distortion and love the tone from it.  :metal:

so there we have it, its the same.  Anyone can wire a push pull pot or mini toggle to have series split or single coil options.  DP100 splits really nicely too I might add.

Hey man I love DP100 also  :thumb-up: .  It gives my guitars a big load midrange and BALLS!  It's pretty loud too although some people will claim DP100 is medium output pickup compared to some that are out there now days.  I personally think it is a high output humbucker.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

El Chiguete

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Well thanks to the storm that was supposed to hit us today (but in the last minute changed course) I was out of my work from noon and my evening plans got canceled for today... so that ment I had time to relax and put the pickup in!!!

I didn't get the chance to really test it because my rack is waiting for replacement batteries (probably would of had them by today if not by the storm) but I could at leat test it out on my Epiphone Valve Jr amp at low volume because its 10pm and I can say that for sure I will be happy with it!

More testing latter :)

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

El Chiguete

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Well after some few tests with this pickup all I can say is that I don't know why I waited so long to put it on!!! It immediately makes you sound like the classic heavy metal sound and thats JUST WHAT I WANT!!!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Well after some few tests with this pickup all I can say is that I don't know why I waited so long to put it on!!! It immediately makes you sound like the classic heavy metal sound and thats JUST WHAT I WANT!!!

This is why I bought so many.

It's weird no one uses them anymore.  I bet they come back into fashion.  I liked that no one uses them these days hahaha

I am the only person in my country I know who uses them.  People over here are f**king stupid though when it comes to Heavy metal sound!  Proper Heavy Metal sound and none of that extreme shite death metal ballax!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up