ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Props to Zilthy  (Read 9775 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Props to Zilthy
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Another place it would be really practical is for harmony rehearsals, we used to use acoustic guitars, but always had a once a week vocal/harmony rehearsal.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I highly recommend in-ear-monitors (IEMs) for tone tests, what you hear at home is what you're gonna hear at the gig. How often does that happen? I set my tones at home using the direct out of my preamp & then mic the cab at the gig. I can run both signals, but usually pick the mic on the cab. It's fuller than the direct signal, probably the cab warming it up.

...but always had a once a week vocal/harmony rehearsal.
You practice vocals?!? just kidding...I rarely practice vox

I'll use this for practice and for a backup - it's also great for noodling around on a Sunday morning with a bit of coffee & herb :banana-rasta:.

Sometimes, the band has to practice at a spot where we can't make too much noise, so we use an electronic kit and the IEMs. For those occasions, I don't have to lug an amp or, a rack, or speaker cabs. Just the pedals, which are in an old suitcase, and my hefty iPod   ;D

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Vox is huge.... you don't have to be a great singer, but start kicking out harmonies every now and then, and it adds a lot. :)

FWIW the Eagles did just harmony practice a lot.  And you can even throw them in on songs where there were no harmonies.

As far as IEM, those are a good deal, save ears a lot too.  Although, I miss being able to feedback sustain doing that, looking in to a sustainer, trying to find one that won't make me change my pickups.   Routing would be acceptable, as long as I can find someone to do it for me. :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

We used to rehears 3 times a week (although that varied later depending on how many gigs we had) and the Wednesday rehearsal was vocals and any business, listen to tape of last gig or rehearsal and pick it apart etc. We had 2 main singers (Husband and Wife), but we all (5 piece) sang. Then when we found ourselves on stages where you couldn't hear very well (which was often as I always made sure the main singers had the monitors (we had 2 x 15/horn Yamaha wedges)) I still new every note I was supposed to sing, also we only sang when we were supposed to.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

We have to stop rehearsal sometimes when the harmonies are honking link a goose ;) Then, we usually have the bass player keeping a low volume note for us all to follow while we all try to find our parts. I used to try to pic a note in a chord to hit, but it's easier if I just go with what I hear in my head

IEMs definitely help with the vox. I don't have to scream to hear myself singing falsetto, and I don't try to sing louder as the evening goes on because my ears are fatigued from the guitar amp. My ears are no longer fatigued at all (unless I turn up my pack too loud - which I've done). Imagine sleeping after a gig without your ears ringing...yup, it's possible.

There have been times when my amp wasn't even turned on for a set or two, but I had no idea because I had the direct signal  :facepalm:

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

So, after this thread was brought up I decided to look in to this and seeing how far it can be taken... and it looks like a lot further than when I first started doing this.  Currently I have the original iRig interface and used Amplitude and Ampkit, but there is a lot more out there now.

It started with this overview:

https://www.macstories.net/stories/making-music-on-ios-guitar-amps-effects-apps-hardware/

From there looking at the BIAS Mobile App (Linking a review from Chapper, I get a kick out of him)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sdaKuN8XLA

And then upgrading my interface (This one is not listed in the overall view - it's new, and looks sweet)

http://line6.com/sonicport-audio-interface/sonicport-vx/

A pretty sweet recording and amp setup that (other than a guitar) I can carry in my purse. :D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up