ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA GCS-3 question for a WDW setup  (Read 7032 times)

El Chiguete

ADA GCS-3 question for a WDW setup
« on: Time Format »

Ok so the GCS-3 allows you to go straight from the power amp to get the ¨power amp tone¨ and then add the cab simulation. But my question is the FULL-RANGE DI option the same as the BYPASS switch option? So if you use it is it basicly a line out option without the cab simulation that you can use to go to other effects or to the console? If this is so then I could use it in this order for a W/D/W setup:

1) MP-1 fx loop send to power amp
2) power amp out to GCS-3
3) GCS-3 thru to the speaker for the DRY signal
4) GCS-3 output to MP-1 loop return with the cab simulation off (I can allways turn it on for recording or going to the console)
5) MP-1 stereo outs to stereo power amp
6) stereo power amp to speakers with the WET signal

Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: ADA GCS-3 question for a WDW setup
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey El, you like the inventive patches LOL, a bit like me I spose.
Ok so the GCS-3 allows you to go straight from the power amp to get the ¨power amp tone¨ and then add the cab simulation. But my question is the FULL-RANGE DI option the same as the BYPASS switch option? So if you use it is it basicly a line out option without the cab simulation that you can use to go to other effects or to the console? If this is so then I could use it in this order for a W/D/W setup:

1) MP-1 fx loop send to power amp (This will give you a mono feed to the power amp)
2) power amp out to GCS-3 (GCS-3 will attenuate/pad the amp signal back down from w to ~1 ish volts, line level, the GCS3 is a line level device)
3) GCS-3 thru to the speaker for the DRY signal (wont work has no power now is back to line level, so wont drive a speaker but will drive a poweramp > speaker but won't have cab sim changes)
4) GCS-3 output to MP-1 loop return with the cab simulation off (I can allways turn it on for recording or going to the console)
5) MP-1 stereo outs to stereo power amp
6) stereo power amp to speakers with the WET signal
The way I used to achieve similar is guit into (a/b, a+b) switch, a to MP1/2, b to '72 Marshall 50 > 2 x 12 cab, MP1/2 > (mixer/effects) > poweramp > 2 split stacks. So the Marshall was always dry, and as the '72 50w has no master volume, I used a Tom Shultz powersoak (between amp and cab) so I could be in the same room when it was cranked  >:D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

What you could do to make your idea work (minus amp colour dry to GCS3), is MP1 > loop out > GSC3 thru > amp > cab (is mono, dry except MP1 distortion); GCS3 out > Loop rtn MP1 outs > poweramp > cabs (or MP1 outs to desk in with cab sim in/on)

El Chiguete

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Ahh so both the THRU and the OUTPUT are Line Level? I guess that info is missing from the ADAAmps website. BTW they only show the GCS-2 manual not the GCS-3.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The idea of a cab sim is to take an input (from preamp or (GCS-3 only, power amp)) an pretend to be a speaker (eq the signal so it sounds like going through a speaker (typically 12")) and then send a line level signal out for recording (initially) and now/these days to run direct to the desk (and use IEM).
Pages: [1]   Go Up