ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repair guy on The Gear Page repairing ADA MP-1 preamps  (Read 5342 times)

Hamer95USA

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on here in awhile. I found this thread of this guy in southern California repairing or restoring ADA MP-1 preamps. Has anyone here colloborated with him?

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ada-mp-1-from-japan-with-love.1935219/

Guitar George

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey GG, no I haven't come across him before, seems to know his stuff  :thumb-up: , good thread.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

herbyguitar

I didn't like hearing this part:
"The key thing to keeep in mind is expectations. These old boys contain many obsolete parts, so some repairs require a donor unit, whose parts may be on the way out, as well. I have a couple spare units for such occasions, but it’s only a matter of time until the party ends."
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

vansinn

His work look just fine.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Southern California (SoCal) is not that far for me. I lived down there for a good while and have a few friends I can call on to be my eyes/ears on the street. We can connect with him. Would be great to have him in here

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

I didn't like hearing this part:
"The key thing to keeep in mind is expectations. These old boys contain many obsolete parts, so some repairs require a donor unit, whose parts may be on the way out, as well. I have a couple spare units for such occasions, but it’s only a matter of time until the party ends."

Actually there are only 2 ic's in the MP-1 that are obsolete, good thing they don't fail very often  8) .But you can still find these if you know where too look. The MP-2 has far more obsolete ic's. (Don't worry go them all in stock if needed). The classic also but less. The only thing I don't have are front panels. I do have the original blue prints of these, so if needed I could send these to a company to get them made again.

Funny thing is he's using OPA2604AP's (like me) and these are obsolete too  :facepalm: That is they don't make them anymore in a DIL housing.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

I got a reply from the guy, he seems pretty cool and humble...Here is his reply (hope he doesn't mind me putting this on here)

Dante,

Hey, my man. Super cool to get an email from you. Love the depot, too, btw. Haven’t spent much time there since moving.

Sadly, my personal MP-1 was damaged when I experimented with replacing some of the ICs in the signal path. I haven’t been able to repair it, despite the fact I replaced the older chips with the same types! Really hit my confidence hard lol.

Anyway, I do love working on these old boxes, but my knowledge is somewhat limited due to being more of an analog guy and having all of my test gear in storage.

I love chatting about gear, so I’m always down for a beer and a chat. I’m in north Orange County near LA, so let me know whenever you’re around.

Cheers!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Dante, cool, would be great to have him on the Depot  :thumb-up: as a regular.  Please give him my regards, anyone who can help keep our precious preamps alive and well is most welcome  :whoohoo!: .@MJMP, that's good to know re opp amps, you've got us covered, well as well as you can  :bow: and BTW we really appreciate it  :headbanger:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up