ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cabinet Simulators  (Read 69769 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Cabinet Simulators
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I haven't tried either, a friend is talking about getting a GCS3 to run in his MP1 loop (thus maintain stereo without having to buy 2).  Apparently the GCS3 is around $160 AUD and the GCS2 about $140 AUD.  Given the GCS 3 has a couple of additional features it's probably the one to go for.  If they perform anywhere near a good as the MP2 cab outs they will be great  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I Hope some of the guys here go and test the GCS3 ir GCS2 soon and give reviews. They would be a great simple solution for live playing and recording... and ir the come out with a rack stereo version I know a lot of us will consider it too!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I Hope some of the guys here go and test the GCS3 ir GCS2 soon and give reviews. They would be a great simple solution for live playing and recording... and ir the come out with a rack stereo version I know a lot of us will consider it too!

I would MUCH prefer a rack version ala the Microcab, but I bit the bullet and got the GCS-2... it has a line/XLR level switch, which is nice.  I'm going to run the effect loop out of my Theta Combo into the GCS-2, then into my Carl Martin XII Chorus, then into the Lexicon MPX-1... a switch or two and I can run heavy gains or cleans...

The Theta Preamp will now only run with the MPX-G2 for direct recording...

I'll let you guys know how it goes!  I'm busy as snot all day tomorrow (when it arrives) but should have a moment or two to hook it up and try it out...

Michael Thompson loves his... he tried out the Torpedo Cab and couldn't get a good sound right out of the box (started a HUGE fight on the Huge Racks Inc forum... ugh) and praised the GCS-2.  If it's anything like the Microcab, it should be great... we shall see!
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

El Chiguete

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

I would like to get the GCS-3 so I can run it out of the power amp to get that added tone!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Well, it's late and I've been pulling 14 hour days, so my brain and body are weary... BUT, the new ADA GCS-2 sounds like a cleaner, slightly tighter version of what my memory is of the lovely old ADA Microcab!

I've only had it for an hour, but I'm comparing it to the Lexicon MPX-G2 simulators and it's easily holding it's own.  It's more "naturally" compressed than the Lexicon's Cab Sims, but those are close to the slightly "flubby" sound that was so great about the Microcab.  It's tighter for sure...

Excellent so far!

More later after I get some sleep!
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

El Chiguete

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

I think this deserves a video review!!! O0

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

I think this deserves a video review!!! O0

Ha!  I wish I had the time and resources for that!!!

I just recorded a bit with it, but it's not really a "demo" of the unit, just me noodling around.  It sounds pretty damn good so far.  Comparing it to the Lexicon MPX-G2 cab sims, it's tighter and not as flubby (which is what the Microcab sounded like to me).

I will say that I would recommend it... the Modern mode recorded on one side with the Vintage mode on the other playing the same thing gives it a huge sound in a mix. 

If you need a cabinet simulator, go get it!
-Adam

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Here!

Love it... fond memories of the Microcab...
-Adam

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

https://adammclean.bandcamp.com/track/ada-gcs-2-quick-demo

It's not a demo in the traditional sense... just me noodling around and trying out the different modes of the ADA GCS-2.  I have it on 12 inch Sealed Back. The first chunk of the tune is Modern (Celestion Ceramic), then it switches to Vintage (Jenson Alnico), then to Modern. After the key change, it's Modern on one side, Vintage on the other. The lead is Modern piped through the Carl Martin XII for a wide stereo chorus and delays added in Reaper. The Edge/Center knob is dialed all the way to the Edge. The cleans are bypassing the GCS direct out of the Theta Preamp.

It's a quick and dirty experiment, not a demo intended to show all the features. Just to see how it fares with the ISP Theta and some high gain tones.  Enjoy!
-Adam

lylerasputin

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

I LOVE my Ada Ampulator…. Have loved it since 1996 or 7 when I got it.  Recently moved,  and had it boxed up for a bit…. The pots are getting scratchy and whatnot…. How would you guys recommend cleaning it?  Also,  is it worth switching out the tube?  I usually use it with a Marshall JMP1 pre going in….

El Chiguete

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Maybe you should consider selling it, those scratchy pots are imposible to fix... I can buy it to help you out  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

I LOVE my Ada Ampulator…. Have loved it since 1996 or 7 when I got it.  Recently moved,  and had it boxed up for a bit…. The pots are getting scratchy and whatnot…. How would you guys recommend cleaning it?  Also,  is it worth switching out the tube?  I usually use it with a Marshall JMP1 pre going in….
Not that I've seen inside an Ampulator but generally to clean pots use some decent contact cleaner (I use CRC CO contact cleaner), use the small tube that comes with the cleaner and spray into the pot where the contacts attach, there's usually a small gap, and turn the pot full up/down a few times while spraying to clean the tracks inside, also give the sockets a spray to clean their connectors.  It's probably worth changing the tube since it's so old.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Stay away from CRC contact cleaners,these are the worst cleaners for pots.Get some kontakt 60.Now usually this helps for a while but it will come back as soon the cleaner is dryed up.

lylerasputin

« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Thanks so much for the advice gentleman,  I sincerely appreciate it. 

What tube would you recommend swapping it out for?  I have opened the box yet (in a rack),  so i forget the OG tube installed…  I cover a variety of tones in my work,  from heavier to clean etc… so need advice on a decent jack of all trades tube,  and perhaps some warnings about ones that ARE NOT good! :)..

All that said,  I am not an electrical engineer or anything,  but am pretty good at user servicing my stuff,  is opening the box a pain?  and is there anything to be aware of in that process…?  Just want to know if it is worth it before going through the hassle of pulling out of a large rack….

thanks again for your advice!

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

To swing this back to the GCS-2 (since talk of the Ampulator makes me jealous), here's another fast sample...

ISP Theta Preamp>ADA GCS-2 for rhythms.  ISP Theta Preamp> ADA GCS-2> Carl Martin Chorus XII for leads (in stereo).  Clean guitars have no cabinet emulation on them.  Delays are added in Reaper.

Enjoy!  I am digging this toy!

https://adammclean.bandcamp.com/track/ada-gcs-2-again
-Adam
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up