ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 61257 times)

StillClimbing

Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #135 on: Time Format »

I mess around with an MXR micro amp turned up about 1/2 way. Eh, it adds some hair/fizz but no real volume. I'm not blown away and it probably wouldn't make it into my live rig. I'll try it with some different patches.
Guitars: Peavey Vandenberg, Gibson Les Paul Studio
amps: Mesa 20/20, MP1 (Mk 2 Mod4), Crate Blue Voodoo 120, Synergy Syn 2 with Hilligan Scorch & Via Sig modules
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex LTD, many pedals
4x12 with real V30s

Chris5150

« Reply #136 on: Time Format »

I boost mine with a SD1 for death metal.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #137 on: Time Format »

How do you set the SD-1?

I personally can't even add drive to any OD pedal I place in front of the MP1 never mind a distortion pedal.  Starts to feel weird and kinda distorts the distortion if you get what I mean?  Do you set the SD-1 low?  Or add drive?
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Chris5150

« Reply #138 on: Time Format »

How do you set the SD-1?

I personally can't even add drive to any OD pedal I place in front of the MP1 never mind a distortion pedal.  Starts to feel weird and kinda distorts the distortion if you get what I mean?  Do you set the SD-1 low?  Or add drive?

Only set as a boost, full level no drive. It works well that way, any other way and I don't like the tone.

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #139 on: Time Format »

I've boosted the front end of my MP1 with an SD1 with the level and tone on max.  I'm using it for a more boosted modern metal sound and it gets you there with the right settings.

OD 1: 6.5
OD 2: 6.5
Master: 7
Bass: 6
Mid: -2
Treble: 4
Presence: 4

For live, I'm using the Roland GP8 via the 4-cable method, sending the analog overdrive through the front end.  Level's at 100 and drive is at 25, Turbo mode is "off." This actually gives a bit more body versus the SD1, and the cool thing about the GP8 is it has a dedicated analog EQ so you can shape the overdrive sound to get more or less of certain frequencies.  Then, I use a Boss NS50 half-rack to bring down the noise and get a little tighter.  Each patch also has up two 2 external outs to loop in and out, so I have it set to turn the NS50 on and off.

Guitar -> GP8 input
GP8 output -> MP1 Fx Return
GP8 Return -> MP1 FX send
GP8 Send-> NS50 input
NS50 output -> MP1 input

The above method bypasses the digital section when the effects loop is off in the MP1, so your signal gets analogue passthrough.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #140 on: Time Format »

That is one boost I'd like to try the SD1 this and a MXR Distortion.  The off putting thing for me about those two pedals is the lunacy regarding the olds vs the new ones so I don't want to get mixed up in all that bullshit.  I'd really love to try both but it appears I would need to buy the old models and this will cost silly money, that is unless this is just ear delussion talking the new ones just sound the same, hard to know, so many re-issues suffer the same plight and you have to ask yourself, so I succumb to this or just go with my own ears?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #141 on: Time Format »

That is one boost I'd like to try the SD1 this and a MXR Distortion.  The off putting thing for me about those two pedals is the lunacy regarding the olds vs the new ones so I don't want to get mixed up in all that bullshit.  I'd really love to try both but it appears I would need to buy the old models and this will cost silly money, that is unless this is just ear delussion talking the new ones just sound the same, hard to know, so many re-issues suffer the same plight and you have to ask yourself, so I succumb to this or just go with my own ears?

I've seen the Japanese SD1s go for less than $100USD on eBay, though that may have been a fluke.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #142 on: Time Format »

Try a BOSS DS-1 (not SD-1) as a booster for the MP-1....
Low Gain, High Volume, Tone as you like.
On the run again!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #143 on: Time Format »

What is that like as a boost?

Again though same rat race with this model, you have to buy the pre '88 version I am told otherwise they moved to Taiwan and not as good apparently.

I have a Boss Line GL100 which works but has things wrong with it.  It's Japanese and all analogue.  It basically has all the boss pedals to that date inside it.  If this was working properly for me that would be the most awesome set of boosts on tap that anyone could wish for in a rack.  I might end up selling it though as it needs looked at.  Has strange break up issues the louder the output knob goes.

Iperfungus

« Reply #144 on: Time Format »

What is that like as a boost?

Again though same rat race with this model, you have to buy the pre '88 version I am told otherwise they moved to Taiwan and not as good apparently.

Mine is Made in Taiwan and it's the same of the Made in Japan version, no difference at all.
As for the TS808/TS9: things to overcharge for old pedals.

I don't like the DS-1 as distortion unit at all....but it's an excellent booster and a nice light overdrive, if used at low gain levels.
At high gain it becomes a hive.  :lol:
On the run again!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #145 on: Time Format »

Well you know there are all those types out there who will argue that the Japanese model is best  :lol:

From what I know the DS-1 is generally used to good affect going into a tube head, I'm not sure how Boss intended it to be used but the famous users like Gary Moore used it to push the front end of a Marshall so it was all out and out DS-1 distortion.  I know this is something MJMP knows more about with the DS-1.

https://www.groundguitar.com/gary-moore-gear/gary-moores-boss-ds-1-distortion/

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #146 on: Time Format »

Japanese is best... for a DS-1. I like the japanese ones better the newer ones. For the SD-1, I prefer the taiwan ones.

A lot of the 80's trash bands used DS-1's in into a JCM800 MV (low input) and cranked the master. Sounded really good live.
The way I use it (in my pedal board) I boost the DS-1 with the SD-1. I got this idea from Criss Olivia but he used 2 SD-1's. Since I didn't have 2 SD-1's at the time I tried this and I still like it. I do prefer my JMP/JCM800 MV (low input) over the non MV marshall heads when it comes to amps when I use pedals.

Here is Gary explaining his Boss stuff. He used the DS-1 to boost his strat sound.   

« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

Iperfungus

« Reply #147 on: Time Format »

I started using a DS-1 as a booster in the '90s, when Paul Gilbert revealed his live rig with Mr Big: Ampeg head and 4x12 cabinet and a Boss DS-1 for soloing.
That's it.

Honestly, I cannot hear the difference between a Japan and a Taiwan one...all I can hear is that the DS-1 boosts your overdrive into lead very, very well: you just have to set Tone knob properly.
So, as soon as I had one home, I started using it with the MP-1 or the JMP1 or the Twin Tube  (or the PSA1, but it's gone now... :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon) and results are amazing.

An interesting comparison:

Maybe the Taiwan has a little more clarity at high gain settings? Or maybe no.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #148 on: Time Format »

Well you know there are all those types out there who will argue that the Japanese model is best  :lol:

Dangerous people.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the run again!

Chamai

« Reply #149 on: Time Format »

tried boosting my mp1. does not work. sounds really compressed and most of the bass frequencies is gone. eq pedal works much better imo.

i do boost all my other amps though. hi input on my jcm 800 and boost it with an overdrive.
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up