ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microtube 100 colors your tone or is transparent?  (Read 13498 times)

El Chiguete

So what would you guys says is a better description of a Microtube 100 power amp, is it a transparent amp or colors your tone?

The reason I ask is because I was thinking of using it one day to amplify the tone in this order (similar to what EVH did):

1) line out from amp after power section
2) effects
3) transparent power amp to guitar speaker cabinet
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

GuitarBuilder

Color - very pleasing, but color nevertheless.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey El Chiguete, I had one for a little while, (Dante has it now, and I assume it's doing well (Dante??)), it's a US version and I ran it on a step down tranny (Oz).  Was never great for me, didn't seem to be happy on the SD tranny, hummed a bit...; but more to your question, it does colour the tone, yes a bit but not in a bad way, kind of warm transparent (hopefully no to much of an oxymoron), the B200s though, you just don't notice it's there (apart from being very loud (if you want  >:D )).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

I don't have it anymore, but I do have way too many frickin amps right now.

I seem to remember the MT-100 being a bit warmer than most SS Amps, so yes, some color. Nothing that couldn't be dealt with, or even preferred.

I like my MT-200 the best (I think) but I cannot part with the T100s (even though it weighs more than my car)

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music

I had one for a while too... didn't notice the "color" until I started running my Engl e530 1.5 on board power amp.  THEN it seemed very colored.  Not in a bad way, just not solid state in your face color.  The Rocktron Velocity I had (SS) was much "clearer" and transparent.  Again, I liked the Microtube, but I just prefer the sound of a solid state amp.
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I seem to remember the MT-100 being a bit warmer than most SS Amps, so yes, some color. Nothing that couldn't be dealt with, or even preferred.
I like my MT-200 the best (I think) but I cannot part with the T100s (even though it weighs more than my car)
Hy Dante, T100s ? do tell, what is it ? (e.g. is it a Carvin TS100 ? great poweramp BTW, I love mine...kicks ass !!!)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

My fav amp for MP1/MP2 is the B200S, bestb amp ever IMHO, next I'd go the Carvin TS100s,  very heavy (to lift), great, clean, very transparent (in slightly mmmm) a tube way ?))

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hy Dante, T100s ? do tell, what is it ? (e.g. is it a Carvin TS100 ? great poweramp BTW, I love mine...kicks ass !!!)

No man, it's an ADA T100s. I'll dig up some information for you

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Cool, thanks Dante

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

A bit about the T100s:

It's a true tube amp using a pair of EL34s per channel in a push-pull circuit. It uses a solid state regulated power supply.

It fits in 2 standard rack spaces and is cooled via an internal fan so the amp may be mounted between other rack pieces.

It uses 1/4 inch input and output jacks on each channel.

Schematics are available in the Vault
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I remember it now, IIRC it was ADA's only all tube power amp offering?  My Carvin TS100 is pretty much the a more recent version of the same thing (though has EL34 of 6L6 option mine came with 6L6) great amp, but weighs a ton.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Mine weighs more than my car

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hwy Dante, Sound like the T100s is even heavier than the Carvin TS100, probably/maybe due to newer transformers being a bit lighter ? as the both have 3 ( 1 x power, 2 x output).  Audiofiles like the older transformers (when they can get them) as they were better made (allegedly).
BTW RandallRG (Steve) needs a power amp if you wanted to send any of yours to a good home ?

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I think the amp weighs about 45-50 pounds...about as much as a combo. I have it housed in a 4u SKB roto rack (very light when empty) with my MP-2 and the (new) GX-700.

The 4u rack weighs in at 60 pounds!! (according to the bathroom scale) And that is why I do NOT carry this thing anywhere anymore. In an emergency, sure, but I don't use any amps/speakers now, so it is my home rig. (wait ten minutes, that'll probably change  :lol: )

Looks like I may need to split this thread into the T100s board  :P

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Wow that's heavy, the Carvin TS100 is 25 pounds, so about half the T100s, spliting the post is a good idea  :thumb-up:
Pages: [1]   Go Up