• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

is the MP-1 chorus placed before or after the loop?

Started by El Chiguete, May 19, 2014, 01:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Chiguete

This has been said before (and I've asked it myself too) but I don't remember.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

MarshallJMP

Syntho

So I guess that means if I run some reverb in the loop, the reverb will hit the MP-1's chorus?  :banana-rock:

rnolan

@El, hey mate, haven't heard from you in quite a while  :wave:

@Syntho, yes, IMHO the MP-1 loop is not the best place for reverb,  I would prefer to reverb my chorus not chorus my reverb.  The chorus is also where the MP-1 becomes stereo (well pseudo stereo)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

I've always placed my Reverb unit, between the preamp output and the power amp, since all of mine are stereo, and all of the preamps have stereo outputs.

I don't use them in the loop in general.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Syntho

The problem with me putting it after the MP-1 is that it'll be on constantly. With the loop, I can make patches that have the loop on and off and can switch it with the press of my MC-1. If I had a more advanced midi patcher thing then maybe I'd run it like that.

Harley Hexxe

Syntho

Who wants to reach over and turn it on/off all the time?  :)

Harley Hexxe

The bypass on those can't be programmed into the MIDI controller? I didn't know that, but I've never had a QV.

Soloist

Yeah you can't midi control the bypass on a qv or alot of other multi fx for that matter, however I used to use a boss latching pedal to bypass it. Also had a boss momentary pedal for my tap tempo. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

You know, it's been a long time since I had to deal with that, that I almost forgot about the Digitech DSP-128 I used to have. It also didn't have a MIDI controllable bypass.
    What I ended up doing was to create a blank preset with absolutely no effect at all, and saving that as my bypass patch.

rnolan

I use a basic program of light stereo delay and chamber reverb for every patch (but it could be a blank patch instead) and then specific QV patches if/when needed, also sometimes just make a copy of the MP-1/2 patch but assign it a different Fx patch (eg include flange etc).  I use the midi mapping in the QV so multiple MP-1/2 patches use the same QV patch (just have to watch out for the slight numbering difference as QV goes 000 - 127 and MP-1/2 goes 001 - 128, so QV 127 = MP-1 128).  I set up a bank of 10 MP-1/2 patches, so a couple of cleans, a few crunch/rhythms, a few lead and vary the Fx patches to suit.

Syntho

Slightly off topic, but is there some sort of midi patcher hardware system that's good? I could program a patch on it so that when I hit the 1, 2, 3 switches etc with my foot, it'll send program change messages to both the MP-1 and to the QV. That way I could have a different effect for each patch, all without having to reach for my QV at all.

Wait, now that I think of it, can't I just use the 'thru' port on the back of the MP-1 and feed that to the QV? I think that's what you were trying to explain in the first place but I didn't understand  ;D

Soloist

Yes, there are alot of midi switchers that will do just that. I use a voodo lab ground control pro, but there are all kinds with varying pricing. Berhinger, ADA, Rocktron just to name a few. You could pick up a used one fairly cheap.
Midi controller out to mp1 midi in
MP1 midi thru/out to qv midi in.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

Hey Syntho, you can do what you want/need with the MC-1 as I said just what out for the numbering difference (MP-1/MC-1 001 = QV 000 etc).  You can feed the midi patch changes to the QV via MP-1 midi through (just passes the MC-1 patch change message on), the MP-1 midi out will also work but it gets its patch number from what the MP-1 is set to. So if you press a front change button rather than the pedal to change a patch or if the MP-1 midi mapping has been modified from 1-1 mapping.  The MP-1 also has a "panel" mode I think  :dunno: , I know MP-2 does, so if you use the front buttons to change patches the patch changes are fed to the midi through as well (so your Fx change as well).

So you easily set up a different effect for each patch (or the same effect by either copying it to a new patch or use the QV midi mapping (as I do)).