ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: dealing with GAS  (Read 106663 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
Re: dealing with GAS
« Reply #135 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

since you´re used to the SuperDs, don´t go dawn the PAF Pro route. It´s way less output than what you´re used to and, especially if you´re looking for more saturation you´ll be disappointed BIG TIME.
More Saturation and "Oomph" screams CrunchLab DP228F....If you´re looking for a tad bit more harmonic content you´ll also be happily surprised.
If the guitar+pup sound a tad bit darker/warmer, work with your amps treble. That gives you harmonics to spare ;-)
Also, try the MegaDrive with the bar coil towards the neck.
 :thumb-up:

...I also have a used DiMarzio Evolution...that thing is pure saturation with tight oomph and works exceptionally well in alder or warmer/darker sounding guitars.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #136 on: Time Format »

According to Dimarzio the megadrive with the bar facing the bridge is brighter

http://www.dimarzio.com/faq#55/62/283

I guess I could try it in the stagemaster since I own one already.

The Crunch lab would be too dark I imagine, the EQ on the dimarzio has it all bass and mids.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: Time Format »

According to Dimarzio the megadrive with the bar facing the bridge is brighter
->> Instant Ice-Pick

The Crunch lab would be too dark I imagine, the EQ on the dimarzio has it all bass and mids.
->> Saturation + Oomph + Harmonics + Definition = CrunchLab

I have it (with the bar towards the neck) in Alder, Basswood, Swamp Ash and Mahogany (6 & 7 String) and it´s nowhere dark. It´s varying degrees of awesomeness. Want some sound-bits, lemme know  :thumb-up:

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #138 on: Time Format »

Hmmmm the cocked wha thing I like from time to time, I achieve it myself by using an EQ in front.  However I'm not sure I'd want that coming from my pickup so perhaps not for me then.

Tone zone has more mids?  Jeez how much more mids can a pickup have?  I thought the DP100 was the daddy when it came to mids and I have a tonne of those pickups.  I also have a Megadrive which I have yet to utilize.

When you say Showmaster, what make of guitar is that?  Like my Squier showmaster?  I have a DP100 in two of them and I like that a lot.  However I have a two deluxe versions of the same guitar (but named the earlier stagemaster) and it has neck-through contruction and sounds completely different, so this is the guitar I want to either add more harmonic or brightness too and perhaps more saturation.

I could stick a dp100 inside but I was goin to try something else.  I toyed with running the pickup installed currently wide open bypassing the tone controls to see if that would help.  The pickup sounds good split but sound a bit dull when full humbucking and somewhat lacking oomph!

I'm currently using a Tone Zone in the neck of my Les Paul because I'm a crazy person, so I'm not an authority on how it sounds in the bridge.  As for the MegaDrive, I use one in my Explorer and I would describe the sound as closer to an Evolution but with a little more bottom end; not as crass or abrasive.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #139 on: Time Format »

@ sc

thanks for the advice man, but isn't your guitar a bolt on neck?  I'm thinking your axe will just flat out sound different from my Stagemaster which I consider kind of dark so I need something with trebel.  I also don't think the brass block really did anything amazing in the axe either other than make the guitar sound louder unplugged and resonate more acoustically (and no real difference to what the pickups hear).

@ chip
What are explorers like?  I don't know much about them so I'm wondering what is that nature of the guitar and what way does a megadrive react to it?  I've no idea about an Evolution either.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #140 on: Time Format »

Mine was a kit guitar, I believe basswood, which ranges from fairly neutral to bright in terms of tone.  I play with pretty heavy strings (11-56 in standard E, 11-70 for standard D/drop C), so I tend to prefer a brighter pickup/wood to offset the sometimes woofy bass response.  In terms of how the MegaDrive reacts to a traditional Explorer i.e. mahogany, I can't say for sure.  Mahogany tends to be on the warmer end of the spectrum.  I find when switching between my heavier stringed guitars to my Explorer it can be a little too crass.

I also have that same Les Paul with the Crunch Lab which I LOVE.  I think it's my favorite pickup out of all my guitars.  It's got nice warm body, balanced mids, and very clear; you can hear every note of the chord.  If you split the coils, you can get a really cool fat sounding Yngwie type tone.

Clearly, I play a lot of different Dimarzios.  They all have their own distinctive character and the MP1 responds to each one differently.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #141 on: Time Format »

What made you buy the megadrive then?

I think I'll put it in over the weekend.  If it doesn't work out I'm throw a DP100 or D Activator X in there and see what they are like.  Failing that I'm on the lookout for an X2N anyways.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: Time Format »

@ sc

thanks for the advice man, but isn't your guitar a bolt on neck?  I'm thinking your axe will just flat out sound different from my Stagemaster which I consider kind of dark so I need something with trebel....

one of the 6stringers is an RGT (neck-through) with Mahogany body/wings

It's not so much the wood combo but the actual scale of the guitar than get things sound mushy/muddy. I preferred the DiMarzio Evolution in a 24.75" Peavey Vandenberg over the CrunchLab but in 25.5" Double Locking Trem guitars the CL shines.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #143 on: Time Format »

Really?  I heard wood and construction where the main elements on determining a bright or dark tone.  At least I've been reading that for the last 20years.  I know scale play's a part also hence small scale bass guitars sounding different to long scales. 

In saying that, shortscales are known for being darker and they are actually shorter in scale.

"When the string length changes, the character of those harmonics (and their volumes) change. With shorter string lengths, the higher harmonics have less volume, which results in a thicker, darker tone than a long scale instrument."

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #144 on: Time Format »

I think I'll put it in over the weekend.  If it doesn't work out I'm throw a DP100 or D Activator X in there and see what they are like.  Failing that I'm on the lookout for an X2N anyways.

I wanted to try it out, heh, the same reason I buy any pickup.  I have two X2Ns in my V, again, because I'm a crazy person.  They have a lot of gain, so just make sure you tweak your patches appropriately because the X2N can definitely muddy up your sound.  They sound awesome split, though!
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #145 on: Time Format »

I wanted to try it out, heh, the same reason I buy any pickup.  I have two X2Ns in my V, again, because I'm a crazy person.  They have a lot of gain, so just make sure you tweak your patches appropriately because the X2N can definitely muddy up your sound.  They sound awesome split, though!

I heard X2N splits well.  If I was to use one (and I might hence having bought one ages ago) of course things might take setting up different.  But then my input on FX unit determines the level so even if I got a loud pickup I would have to adjust my GT5 input to avoid clipping, by the time the signal gets to the a preamp it's not going to be any louder than any other guitar I use as the input on GT5 is tweaked to suit every time.

I was just asking as I thought perhaps there was a particular reason why you chose the megadrive.  It's pretty uncommon.

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #146 on: Time Format »

Precisely because it's uncommon I was curious how it sounded and thought.  The only players I knew of who had played one were Tony MacAlpine, Jay Jay French, at one point I think Leslie West, and I think I read somewhere that the one of the guys from Dangerous Toys liked it.

I, just a few minutes ago, finished tracking some fiddly diddly with my rig and the MegaDrive.  I'll try and have it up sometime next week for you to check out  :thumb-up:
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #147 on: Time Format »

scored a Rocktron Velocity amp.  I figured I should have a backup rack power amp since this is what I use now days.

Also keen to see if it sounds different from my Thomann Special the Harley Benton GPA400 which is based on the Velocity.  Apparently the Velocity is similar to Mosvalves which offer a different feel than plain old regular poweramps thanks to some jiggery pokery stuff inside.

Looks like an MP1 is going on tour with me this year whilst my (live) Rockmaster gets a service and has a break.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #148 on: Time Format »

Looks like an MP1 is going on tour with me this year whilst my (live) Rockmaster gets a service and has a break.
  :whoohoo!: finally  :thumb-up: LoL, good score BTW  :wave:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #149 on: Time Format »

The problem is which one.

For the album I used my most recent MP1 purchased, totally unmodified MP1.  However it needs switched on and off in order to power it up, so could be an underlying fault.  And then my other MP1 is currently on the operating table.  So I'll have to fix that before taking anything anywhere.

MP1 3tm isn't going out as it's not allowed to leave the house  :lol:  May be some day.

It was a good score Richard,  they don't sell for as cheap as I got it.  £130.  Have to arrange my own courier though to collect it.  However it may remain a local gig amp only as it's heavy apparently so getting it on a plane might not happen.

edit:  Richard I have played an MP1 live before you know  :thumb-up:  so it aint the first.  I just might keep it in for the whole season.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Up