ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing The Battery  (Read 12383 times)

VoxG2

Changing The Battery
« on: Time Format »

Hello gang, always a pleasure to converse here. Is there anywhere I can see a demo on how to change the original battery? I don't want to do the mod, just change the battery. Thanks.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Changing The Battery
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

There's quite a few post about it (not sure about a video  :dunno: ).  It's actually easier to do the mod (install CR2032 battery holder/receptacle) as you can buy the holder and a battery for less than $10 from most electrical shops.  It's harder to source a 3v lithium battery with the solder lugs/legs attached in the right place.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Changing the battery requires a basic knowledge of desoldering/soldering....easy stuff.  After sourcing the correct stock battery type (with lugs attached) it's a simple procedure of unsoldering the old battery and removing it to installing the new battery and resoldering it in place.  Great care must be taken to make sure the polarity is correct; the motherboard has a "+" labelled on it to help. 

While I completely understand and respect that it's your MP-1 and you can do with it how you see fit, it still begs the question: Why not just do the actual Battery Mod?  It's the exact same difficulty (hardly any at all if you're experienced with a soldering iron) with the benefits of never having to unsolder the battery itself ever again, and to also use the easier-to-find coin battery without solder lugs like Richard said. 

As for a video...somebody might have one out there somewhere.  :dunno:   I didn't make a video, but I did create the Battery Mod for the MP-1 and the writeup instructions will also apply to replacing your old battery with a new soldered-in battery.  Follow the instructions up to the point of installing a battery receptacle, and just install the lugged battery instead while making sure the polarity is correct.

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

but I did create the Battery Mod for the MP-1 and the writeup instructions will also apply to replacing your old battery with a new soldered-in battery.  Follow the instructions up to the point of installing a battery receptacle, and just install the lugged battery instead while making sure the polarity is correct.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Thanks a lot for that mod!!!  :thumb-up:

http://adadepot.com/mods/ADA_MP-1_Battery_Mod.pdf
On the run again!

VoxG2

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Ok...I'm convinced. I'm doing the mod. Thanks!!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

You're welcome.   However, IIRC the part numbers listed in that doc were not correct.  There was a typo between the write-up (which I did) and the actual rendering to the Adobe format (which someone else did for me). 

EDIT:  just looked up those part numbers and they appear to be indeed correct.  Sorry for the confusion!

Marshalljmp might have updated part numbers, though.   :thumb-up:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Marshalljmp might have updated part numbers, though.   :thumb-up:

And battery mod kits as well!  :thumb-up:
On the run again!

VoxG2

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Oh so he has the two pieces in stock and ready to sell?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Yes if you want I have them.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

One reason (IMHO) it's worth getting from MJMP is you KNOW the solder lugs on the battery holder will fit perfectly. Not that this isn't a relatively standard part, just takes out any ambiguity...

Actually, while the de-soldering/soldering effort is the same whether you use a battery with the right lugs attached or the battery holder, soldering in the holder ensures the battery is never heated at all (as it will be a bit when soldering in the battery with attached lugs (some heat will transfer into the battery, how much depends on your soldering skills)

VoxG2

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Yes thank you! I do plan on getting them from you, JMP.

Syntho

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Is there a certain pin arrangement that I should be looking out for? I remember changing a battery in a synthesizer and the battery pins were placed weird so it took me longer to source the one I needed.

There are tons of 2032 battery holders on Ebay but not sure which one will fit my MP-1.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

You need the flat (parallel to PCB) style for MP1, (MP2 is vertical), and the pins need to be the right spacing to align with the holes in the PCB, IIRC there are links in the MP1 battery post to suitable holders  :dunno:

Syntho

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Where's the post?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

I thought there were a few posts about it, I may be wrong.  MJMP has them if you want to get it from him.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up