ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B500B = G500S  (Read 1303 times)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
B500B = G500S
« on: Time Format »

A B500B is a power amp for the Bi-amp Bass rigs. Are you sure that will sound good with a MP-1?
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: B500B = G500S
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Nah not really it's actually just a stereo amp, a beefed up  B200S.It has both identical amps in it. The B500S and the G500S are identical amps.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I thought that as well when I bought it, then MJMP set me straight  :thumb-up: , or I wouldn't have suggested it as an option.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

You're talking about B500S.  But I was referring to B500B, which is what you mentioned in the thread above.

I thought there might have been an EQ tweak for bass guitar ass opposed to lead guitar, although I can speak from experience that the B200S has the warmest solid state power amp sound to it than the other ADA power amps I own. ( I may have a line on two more ).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

What MJMP told me was the basic circuit is the same B200S, B500B, G500S.  And both the B500B and G500S are the same just more power.  I queried this as the B500B specs say one channel is more power than the other (no eq tweaks though), but MJMP assured me the 2 channels are the same and also there is no difference between B500B and G500S.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I meant the B500B, sorry. Even the schematics says B500B, G500S.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Wow!
I don't even recall hearing about B500S or G500S. I probably have in TRENDZ magazine but forgot about it because I've never seen any in the stores around here.
But that's interesting to know. It's probably the power amp to use to hook up eight Split-Stack cabs to one rig :crazy:
I gotta try that sometime  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

As far as I know, ADA only made a B500B for bass rigs and a G500S for guitar (and obviously the B200S for guitar) SS amps.  I'm not sure why some of the schematics are titled B5005B-G500S (note the 5005?) maybe a typo? although a bunch of them are titled B5005B-G500S and some B500B-G500S.  Maybe it happened when Jurrie was scanning all the stuff he got from ADA into the pdfs' way back when. 

The Manuals for the amps say they are different i.e. B500B ch A 385w and ch B 275w into 4 ohms, and G500S ch A & B 250 w each into 8 ohms.  Also B500B says it "incorporates "Tube Soft Limiting," which prevents clipping when driven hard, thus preventing your drivers from harsh high frequencies."  (As you can see in the 2 manuals attached)

This is what got me confused  :dunno: back when MJMP was working on my US B500B and he told me they (B500B and G500S) are actually the same (moreover, they all share the B200S basic circuit (tone) but the B500B and G500S have more power output).  Since the manuals and spec sheets said they were different I queried MJMP a few times, but as he said, he was working on the unit and assured me they are the same and have the same schematics (as in the schematic he attached).  So go figure  :facepalm:   

Now 8 split stacks in one rig, I like that idea  >:D :metal: , that would be awesome although, unless you were touring with a big band, you wouldn't get to use it much.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

That must be an old thread, because I don't recall that one. Oh well, they say when you get older the mind is the first thing to go!

Just because you can run 8 split stack cabs to one amp, doesn't mean you have to run it full power. I'm sure it would be louder than a war zone, but I've never run any of my amps wide open like that. Even my Fender 400PS. I find that when you have that extra power, you get better clarity. That's something I've been a fan of for a long time.

Even with my B200S, Microtube 100, and Microtube 200, I only run the poweramps up about 50%. The output on my preamps becomes my master volume for these rigs, but having the huge speaker array does give me a huge guitar sound without excessive volume levels. I know, it seems like a lot of hassle to haul all that gear around, and not push it to the edge, but then I do want to hear the rest of the band on stage. It's sort of like recording in a way, where you get the best possible sound going into the front of you recording device, I try to do the same with a live band mix. Get the best possible sound you can with everyone involved, and a good sound man can take that and elevate it for you.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, to be fair (to both our getting older minds  :facepalm: ) IIRC some of my discussion at the time with MJMP was email, so not in the thread. And yes it was 2017ish so quite an old thread. 

I tend to run my B200S and Carvins (DCM200L & TS100) at around 2 to 3 o'clock (depending on the stage), so not flat out.  These days I use the MXC expression pedal to control MP-2 master vol so I have some wriggle room and can also mute the signal. 

I spend allot of time/effort at gigs so everyone has the best possible mix I can give them for what they like and need to hear (amp placement, foldback mix etc.).  Obviously the better it sounds (for each person) the better you play and the more enjoyable it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up