ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: New rack complete!  (Read 58955 times)

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
Re: New rack complete!
« Reply #135 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, the new tube board (IIRC) isn't particularly expensive ( I reiterate, get it done while MJMP has it  :thumb-up: and at least try the MDRT in one of the units (preferably the one you put the new tube board in (IIRC there's also a resistor change required on the tube board for the MDRT install  :dunno: )), The MDRT is a much better transformer (well really it's 2 transformers combined into the footprint). Actually, they way to go IMHO is to get MJMP to do all the MP1 Ultra+ mods without the 3TM (unless of course you want a serious 3TM gain monster  >:D LoL).

I was also very surprised by the sound difference in the various units (MP2s). Of them all the US model I bought is the "sweetest", go figure  :dunno: .

Hey MJMP, I know you are a humble soul but you deserve the kudos  :wave:

Yeah I'm pretty excited about this actually Richard - the new boards seem to be the way go!!!  :banana:

Now you mentioned Richard - "I was also very surprised by the sound difference in the various units (MP2s)" and I'm grateful you said this because just yesterday a friend of mine tried to tell me it was just "my ears" and they all sound alike ( he doesn't own one but just hears the distortion and thinks thats what makes them all sound the same because of the way I set my gains ) but I trust your opinion on this and I'm glad to hear you have found this to be true as well!  :whoohoo!: So I bet you have your "Magic Holy Grail" MP2 that is your "go to" unit right?
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

MikeB

« Reply #136 on: Time Format »

Is it possible that me and MikeB are relatives???  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, my grandfather was in Italy during the war. As he died there, any news of extra children died with him. So I  guess it's possible. Are you tall and bald?  :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon
I don't feel tardy!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #137 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, my favourite is my original live MP-2, of the 3 others I bought over time, I like the US model (which was the last one I bought), just sounds so sweet (comparatively).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #138 on: Time Format »

Hey DjC, my favourite is my original live MP-2, of the 3 others I bought over time, I like the US model (which was the last one I bought), just sounds so sweet (comparatively).

Yeah this really is like the old Marshalls or any piece of gear really. When it speaks to you it become your own sound and it becomes the basis for comparison for every other unit.  :D
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #139 on: Time Format »

Well all the tubes came in and I gave them the run through;
 I tried a set of the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7, brand new ( they were sent free because of bad tubes purchased previously ) not bad, something missing not quite sure what but I felt they were a little buzzy.

Then Mullard 12AX7 Re-issue.... cool tube but the bottom end got real big and seemed to round out the top end slightly, maybe because of how much fuller the bottom end was but going into the Mesa that thing does NOT need more bottom end!!!

Then I test drove the TAD 12AX7-C RT001 - MY FAVORITE!!! They sounded just like the original set my Holy Grail came with so I will say to all those that mentioned these TADs for a exact replica of the original tubes for the MP-1s are spot on!  :banana:

And now the sad part - my HG dropped gain and got a muddy bottom end  - again, after about 20 minutes playing.  :crazy:
 This thing has to go to Belgium and maybe get dropped into the ocean on the way.   >:(
MJMP I will need your magic on this - I can do no more with it my friend.  :(

So I'm still using my "other" preamp  :-[
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #140 on: Time Format »

See, exactly what I told you about the TAD 12AX7A-C  :thumb-up:

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #141 on: Time Format »

OK that was you who talked about those - they are great!
Now only if I had an MP-1 that worked so that I could enjoy the sound of those tubes  :facepalm:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!
« Reply #142 on: Time Format »

Is it possible that me and MikeB are relatives???  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, my grandfather was in Italy during the war. As he died there, any news of extra children died with him. So I  guess it's possible. Are you tall and bald?  :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just tall....and bearded...  :banana-skipping-rope-smiley-e
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #143 on: Time Format »

...and that tube will come here as well!  :lol:
with some others...  :facepalm:
On the run again!

Iperfungus

« Reply #144 on: Time Format »

Well all the tubes came in and I gave them the run through;
 I tried a set of the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7, brand new ( they were sent free because of bad tubes purchased previously ) not bad, something missing not quite sure what but I felt they were a little buzzy.

Probably the one in V2 is making your tone "buzzy"...maybe these are tubes ok for V1 only.
Is like having a good tone with too much bass freqs, isn't it?

Then Mullard 12AX7 Re-issue.... cool tube but the bottom end got real big and seemed to round out the top end slightly, maybe because of how much fuller the bottom end was but going into the Mesa that thing does NOT need more bottom end!!!

Were they Long Plates or Short Plates, bro?
On the run again!

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #145 on: Time Format »

And now the sad part - my HG dropped gain and got a muddy bottom end  - again, after about 20 minutes playing.  :crazy:
 This thing has to go to Belgium and maybe get dropped into the ocean on the way.   >:(

after 20mins = after really warming up....could be a cap or resistor going out of value after getting heat.
Might be a long shot but maybe try giving the front panel pot some DeOxit.... MJMP will surely chime in on this

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #146 on: Time Format »

after 20mins = after really warming up....could be a cap or resistor going out of value after getting heat.
Might be a long shot but maybe try giving the front panel pot some DeOxit.... MJMP will surely chime in on this

Yeah I'm done with it and just want to send it to MJMP because it will be easier for him to diagnose and fix what's wrong rather than me spending more time and money fixing things aren't the problem. In this instance my original red letter tubes and all the other ones from other MP-1s we bought I guess now were not the problem.

Now as for the tubes, The Mullards I got were long plate as Richard suggested and I will say this - I am definitely keeping the Mullards because in a solid state amp like the B200 or any other these tubes would add warmth and depth to the amp. It's just with the Mesa it's adding too much in the wrong areas.
 So when I build my second rack - if I get not only one proper running unit let alone two  :???: I can build my second rack and get to hear what the Mullards can do!  :thumb-up:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #147 on: Time Format »

Deoxit won't help here.But you could be on the correct path when saying it's a cap.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #148 on: Time Format »

Deoxit won't help here.But you could be on the correct path when saying it's a cap.

Well I have faith in you MJMP; I'm very busy right now but I have it already boxed up already and in a few days I'm going to ship it to you.  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #149 on: Time Format »

OK now for an update on the first unit back from MJMP.......................................... :(

He worked his magic and put his love and expertise into our MP-1 only to have the morons through USPS trash the unit!!  >:D
 I haven't gotten to see it yet but my Buddy Jason says the unit sounds like a stock Fender amp. I will have to take it apart myself and have MJMP guide through it but guys, this has gotten very old with the horrible luck we are having with ADAs.  :facepalm:

I told MJMP earlier today I'm not even mad or sad anymore and have grown quite numb to all this and I am thoroughly enjoying my other preamp.

Seriously Folks - can any of you on this forum say you have bought or had 9 ADA MP-1s and not a one of them works???  :???:
We are now into to these units a few thousand dollars and I feel I'm probably moving into another direction. None of this is anyone's fault - just crazy unexplainable bad luck  :crazy:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up