ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MB1 rig is growing  (Read 16024 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
MB1 rig is growing
« on: Time Format »

So after a holiday with MJMP, my 2 MB1s are now up and going, one has JJs in it the other had some Marshall branded tubes, I had 2 spare Boogie SPAX7s (JJs) which are now in it. I'll try some Mullards soon.  Being a long time MP1/2 user, one thing I had to do was read the manual, the MB1 is similar in some was but very different in others.
Today I picked up a Carvin DCM200L and a Mesa PowerHouse 1x12 (with horn) cab (Chamai's GAS is catching  :facepalm: ). So nice compact rig that has chance of fitting in the car.  So I running it:
Alembic BBSB4> MB1 > Desk (+TC MOne del/rev) > Desk subgroup 4 > DCM200L (bridged mode 200w - 8ohms) > Mesa PH 1x12 cab.  Sounds very nice so far, I'll have to wait until the sun comes up to crank it a bit..
Very much liking the MB1, it's a great preamp  :thumb-up: and goes very well with the Alembic (and vis versa).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: MB1 rig is growing
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Nice !

PrimalScream91

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Sweet!  :thumb-up:
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Excellent! That Carvin is one transparent power amp! :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Soloist, it's a very nice amp (I hadn't heard one before but knew you liked them  :thumb-up: and they looked good on paper etc), and nice and lite  :whoohoo!: . So now to build a bass rack.  I've been toying with the idea of combining the guitar rack and the bass rack, then I just have to plug the MB1 into the mixer.  Also thinking about getting a 1RU line mixer like your Alesis.  Currently I have a small Yamaha AM802 velcroed to the bottom of the rack, works well but isn't ideal space wise, lucky I don't have to get at the knobs very often LoL.

The Mesa PH 1x12 is a nice cab.  Also good size and not to heavy to lug.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

@ Richard,

Sounds good man! Maybe you might look on Evil-bay for a Rane SM-82. That's a great single space mixer, and built like a tank!

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

MB-1 RULEZZZZZ  :banana-guitar:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, looks like a nice unit but has no AUX sends, ideally I'd like 3 or 4 sends (6 would be perfect), the Alesis Soloist uses has 1 stereo FX send, I did see a 1 RU line mixer with more but can't remember what it was  :facepalm: .  My AM802 mixer has 3 post fader sends, so I use 1&2 to Quadverb L/R and 3 feeds the IPS 33 Smart Shift (which I hardly ever use these days).  The if I bought a Lexicon MX300 I could probably just use the MP2 FX loop (though you said the loop changes the tone, is that just at higher return mix levels ?, I'd probably set the returns at 25% with FX full wet).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Peter, yes they do, I'm really liking the MB1s  :whoohoo!: .  I got some Mullard long plates ordered, should be here tomorrow or Friday, I suspect they will go well with this setup.
The DCM200L is a good lite clean amp for the (small) rig, 200w into 8ohm in bridge mode.  The Mesa powerhouse 1x 12" is 300w box and seems plenty loud and very nice sound (but has at least a chance of fitting in my car).  I'm working on my right hand technique for the bass, it's destroying my guitar playing fingernails  :facepalm: .

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, looks like a nice unit but has no AUX sends, ideally I'd like 3 or 4 sends (6 would be perfect), the Alesis Soloist uses has 1 stereo FX send, I did see a 1 RU line mixer with more but can't remember what it was  :facepalm: .  My AM802 mixer has 3 post fader sends, so I use 1&2 to Quadverb L/R and 3 feeds the IPS 33 Smart Shift (which I hardly ever use these days).  The if I bought a Lexicon MX300 I could probably just use the MP2 FX loop (though you said the loop changes the tone, is that just at higher return mix levels ?, I'd probably set the returns at 25% with FX full wet).

I beg to differ with you sir! The SM-82 has Stereo Aux sends with it. I'm probably going to get one for my MP-1/3TM rig, and use the Aux sends to apply the noise gates to both preamps. I could even add a MP-2, and a Classic to that and run the dbx noise gates to all of them, and turn off the built in gates. That might let them breathe a bit more.

Yes, I have noticed the effect changes especially at a 25% wet mix. The effect(s) seem to dull the tone of the guitar at that low mix. Depending on which effects I have in the loop, I can sometimes compensate by adjusting the effects mix level, and bringing up the MP-2 effects loop;

At 25% dry mix, I also noticed how the effects would be oppressive, and you really begin to lose the tone of the guitar at that point.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, it seems I got a different one when I googled it last time  :facepalm: ,  I just checked out the one you mean.  So 1 stereo AUX send, that's quite usable with a decent multi FX  :thumb-up: and it looks like a nice unit. Though just checked the price, $720 AUD here, so a bit expensive.  ART make this one for $500 less (http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/277819-ART-MX822/) worth a look, same features.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

That's crazy Richard :crazy:

They have been out of production for years now. I've seen them for around $150 USD from time to time on evil-bay. Not too many people have a use for them these days, so demand is low. I'm sure you can get a better deal on one of those.
    You might have accidentally looked at the SM-26. Those are a completely different machine.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Whatever I clicked on it was the wrong one LoL, sorry for the bum steer. Here's the link to the expensive one (https://www.audiobuy.com.au/rane-sm-82s-mixer-australia), seems to be new ?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Okay, I looked at that, but that one seems a bit different. The ones I'm thinking of don't have the (s) at the end of the model number, and that one seems to have  some kind of built in power supply.

The ones I'm thinking of use a wall wart, with a plug that goes into the back of the unit, that resembles the old land-line telephone plugs we used to use. They will do everything in the description that this one does, but they cost a heck of a lot less.
    That's one thing I like about Rane equipment on Ebay, unless someone ran over it with an M-1 Abrahms Tank, it's going to work like a Clydesdale! Rane is some of the toughest gear ever made, and you could take it out an play Rugby with it. You won't hurt it.
     I'd let that one go by and let someone with more money than brains have it. There are much better deals out there, and not through music stores. Those guys got stuck with discontinued stock, and want to make their money off of it.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Another downside here, they only get shipments a couple of times a year.  I got the DCM200L and the Mesa 1x12 at a good price (for Australia) as the Carvin stuff will go up 30% next shipment just because of exchange rate and the cab is discontinued for a new shinier one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up