• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Main Menu

Problem with Tube Voicings on Classic

Started by BradS71, May 11, 2017, 03:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradS71

Hi Guys,

I've been loving my MP1 Classic, but yesterday out of the blue it developed a weird issue. It just started make a low-level crackly, farty sound whenever I play. I fiddled around with it and discovered it only does this on the tube voicings. The solid state presets all sound fine. So I thought bad tube, right? Well, I tried 4 different sets of 12AX7's of various brands and get the exact same results with all. So it doesn't appear to the tubes themselves.

I posted a YouTube video here so you can see/hear the issue:

https://youtu.be/P5i-Hhqy7W4

Any insight/guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brad

MarshallJMP

Could be R151, these go bad sometimes and then you can get this.(not always but it can). I'll take some pics tomorrow where to look for it.Do you have a multimeter?

Dante

Hi Brad,

No worries bro, you're in good hands. MJMP answered you in less than a half hour!! whow!

I love my Classic too, and will be watching this thread to see what happens.

Dante

BradS71

Wow. You guys are awesome. Yes, I have a multimeter. Really appreciate the help.

MarshallJMP

Check this resistor with your multimeter, (do not turn the classic on!!) it should be 180k ohm.

BradS71

Quote from: MarshallJMP on May 13, 2017, 08:24:14 AM
Check this resistor with your multimeter, (do not turn the classic on!!) it should be 180k ohm.

I'm getting 34.5 MΩ! That's 34million Ohms, right? I checked it multiple times to make sure I wasn't crazy. I'm guessing you've found the problem!  :D

MarshallJMP

Yeah these go up in value so replace it and it should solve your problem. If not we'll look further !!

rnolan

Wow, I hadn't seen a shot of the inside of a classic before, you can see the advance in PCB compared to MP-1/2
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

Yeah Richard,

It looks more like the PCB of the MP-2 than the MP-1. I remember posting that a long time ago when Jurrie was still with us.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

It doesn't always looks like that, I attached a pic of my classic pcb.

Downside of the classic pcb's is that they are a b**ch to work on.

BradS71

Quote from: MarshallJMP on May 16, 2017, 11:53:21 AM
Downside of the classic pcb's is that they are a b**ch to work on.
Yes they are! Which is why I still haven't gotten this done. I'm not quite savvy enough to do this one cleanly and I have a good friend who is an ace with the iron and working in tight spots on PCB's that I would rather have do it...but between his and my travel schedules we have yet to meet up and get this done. I will report back once we do. Thanks again!

MarshallJMP

Good thinking, if you're not 100% sure let someone else do it.

BradS71

Well...I was finally home for a few days and was able to get the unit over to my buddy's place and work on it. We put in a new 180K resistor in R151 and...Boom! It works perfectly!

Thanks so much for the help. Truly awesome.

rnolan

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante