ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: preset change via MIDI problems  (Read 3990 times)

j4q0

preset change via MIDI problems
« on: Time Format »

Bit of story first: I had a Classic for a LOT of years and a few years back I decided to sell it as I was hadn't been using it for a long time. Of course I ended up missing it after a while. I recently found one close to where I live at a good price and decided to buy it. Brown channel is as good as always.

Now, My old unit always had a lag when switching between presets, and I had a thread here on the forum asking about that, some people had the same experience and some people didn't have this. With this new unit I still experience the same lag. After many years I've become accustomed to this and I hide this small silence in my playing, just had to get a bit creative with some rhythm strumming.

On this unit the program change via MIDI is also acting funny in that sometimes the unit will change to preset 01 no matter what button I press on the MIDI controller, although if I keep pressing the desired button on the controller, after a few tries the MP1 Classic goes "ah, you wanted this" preset, here it is"
I can rule out the controller not working properly as it controls all the other MIDI equipment just fine.

Has anyone had a problem like this?
I remember reading something about resetting the MIDI memory, I'd like to give this a try to see if but I have no idea how to do this. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: preset change via MIDI problems
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Check the manual for "loading one to one midi mapping" on p12.

j4q0

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I already reset the 1 to 1 mapping and the unit is still behaving in the same way.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I don't know if it's the same for the classic (which came after the MP2 and shares a number of features), the MP2 had quite a lag when first it first came out, ADA released a new EPROM which included a fast change option which fixed it. Some ways that may help clear and reset things, remove the EPROM and put back (carefully), or remove the CPU and put it back, or disconnect and then reconnect the memory battery.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Try this, hook the midi controller to the classic midi in and the midi thru to another midi device, see if the other device switches presets.

j4q0

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I know this is an old thread but this weekend I realized I never replied to this.

It seems that MIDI information degrades after 6 units being chained together by their MIDI THROUGH port.
The last unit in the chain always shows similar problems, some units recall MIDI program 1 regardless of what the Program Change from the controller is, and other units recall different MIDI Programs altogether that don't match what the controller is sending.

I tested each unit by itself with the MIDI controller and they were all working properly.
In order for a 7th unit in a chain to respond correctly to MIDI Program Changes, it needs to be fed from the MIDI OUT port of the previous unit.

Hopefully this can help anybody that is having similar problems.

My MP1 Classic still needs to have the battery replaced though. Why the battery is still soldered to the board on the 3rd iteration of the ADA preamp is still a mystery to me, there must be a good reason for this.

« Last Edit: Time Format by j4q0 »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I think the max units that can be chained is 4 (midi protocol). You could use a midi splitter?

j4q0

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I never had the need to use more than 2 units until now So this was a first for me.
Having the last 2 units connected via the MIDI Out instead of the MIDI through solves the problem. Thankfully all units are doing a 1 to 1 program change so it's simple enough to not warrant a solution with a splitter.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

That will work too, but it's a bit slower than using the thru
Pages: [1]   Go Up