ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 99% done  (Read 11708 times)

DesmoBob

MP-1 99% done
« on: Time Format »

Finally earned the right to use the ADA Depot badge.  :banana:

Installed the MDRT and noise mod from MJMP (thanks, bro). While I was at it, I did the rear input jack mod and battery mod, thanks to the vault. Also replaced the input volume pot.

Of all things, I'm still waiting for the replacement battery to come in. The one in the pic is the original 25 year old, dead battery. Weird size couldn't be found locally, ordered it on Amazon, it's been over 2 weeks. Gah. At least everything else seems to work.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP-1 99% done
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Go DesmoBob  :thumb-up: and a nice shiny pair of groove tubes.  I thought the batter was a standard CR2032 3v lithium ? common as ?? I had 2 of my MP2 on the bench this weekend, got my desolder station now so getting ready to do the noise mod. A bit of desolder/solder practice first on an old dead compressor board..
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MikeB

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I paid a fortune for my replacement battery because i thought i had to get an exact match (what do i know about batteries?), and it turns out I could have put in any 3v battery. 
I don't feel tardy!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

From what i can tell this is not the original battery,ADA never used battery clips?What battery is in there?

DesmoBob

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

From what i can tell this is not the original battery,ADA never used battery clips?What battery is in there?
The pic is after I finished installing all the parts--battery mod, rear input jack, input volume pot, MDRT, noise mod. The battery is a BR2325. I left the old battery in there after installing the clip because it bothered me to see the clip empty, jeje.

rnolan, based on your reviews, I'm tempted to try the Mullard long plates.  :D  Those Groove tubes are ancient.

OT:
Hey I just noticed I don't have to enter any anti-spam code before posting.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Aaaaaah okay,you earned you badge !!!! :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Absolutely, and I'm still to earn my badge (under the hood) but building up to it. If a CR2032 fits in your clip, chuck one in, they are common as muck, they sell them in the supermarket these days.  If you change the battery while it's powered up you shouldn't loose your programs (is my understanding MJMP correct me if I'm wrong) but based on previous posts where the patches hold whiled powered on with dead battery until power off.... But write them down/save them just in case.

Well if the GTs are old it's worth replacing them. The Mullard long plates will make it sing IMO. And although I've not tried them in an MP1 (SC and others have and liked them  >:D ) (I will soon though, I'll put a couple in MikeBs MP1 and compare (he has a Boogie STR in V1 and Mullard Short Plate in V2 currently)). I wouldn't use anything else in my MP2s' now I've discovered them (well SC has got me a little bit interested in the TADs as they are very close to original tubes, though I think the Mullard Long plates are definitely better for how I play these days). I just love the articulation and 3D ness, they track my playing (left and right hand) so well.
IIRC one of Mikes first comments re the Mullard short plate was how it showed up his mistakes (sorry Mike, not having a go BTW), which I understood because they are sooo articulate, but he's tightened up his playing but also started to expand into what they let you do.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

Iron25

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Desmobob, Looks great!!! it's way quieter now right, how does it sound?
That description of articulation and 3Dness has got me thinking about the long plates rnolan...
I'm burning the JJ803s right now. Are you talking about the new sensor current production mullards?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey Iron25, yes the new sensor reissues are the ones I've fallen for. They also do short plates, MikeB has one in his MP1 in V1 ? and a boogie STR (JJ) in V2.

Iron25

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

:thumb-up:

DesmoBob

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Desmobob, Looks great!!! it's way quieter now right, how does it sound?
I think it's quieter, but not sure LOL. I didn't record a before & after for reference.  :facepalm:
I may have had a relatively quiet unit to begin with. But it's good to know that some aging caps were replaced.
The MDRT is also a good mod. It sort of makes the strings seem a little more "open," if that makes sense. Like putting an subtle magnifying glass on the tone.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

yes if you replace the battery when powered on you won't loose the presets.

El Chiguete

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

yes if you replace the battery when powered on you won't loose the presets.

You meen that you can do the battery mod when the MP-1 turned on and you wont loose the stored presets???
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey El, theoretically LoL, I'm not sure you'd want the unit powered up while doing the battery mod though as you have to desolder the battery and then solder in the battery holder, if you were careful not to electrocute yourself I assume it would be possible. If you already have a battery holder soldered in (like with the battery mod or similar), then swapping out the battery while it's powered up wouldn't be a problem and you'd preserve your presets.  The ram chip which stores the presets only uses the battery power when the units off.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey El,like R says,i wouldn't do the entire batt mod,changing a battery in a holder while powered up isn't a big deal but soldering is quite different.
Pages: [1]   Go Up