ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP2 Volume drop  (Read 12913 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP2 Volume drop
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

What presets do you go to and loose vol ? (pls list all settings from patch x to patch y). Also what firm wear (EPROM) version in your MP2 (will show on start up)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Shredzilla

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

I'll post my settings on friday. My rack is a three our ride away:(

Shredzilla

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

EPROM is 1.41

Here are my Presets:
Clean
Crystal Clean
Drive 40
Master 74
Lo +6
Mid +6
Hi +6
Pres +6
100+6
170+6
280+8
470+6
800+0
1,3+0
2,2+2
3,8+4
6,3+4

Crunch
Warm Vintage
Drive 83
Master 59
Lo +4
Mid +6
Hi +8
Pres +6
100+6
170+8
280+6
470-2
800+0
1,3+0
2,2+0
3,8+4
6,3+2

"Metal"Preset
Ultimate High Gain
Drive 70
OD 62
Master 53
Lo+6
Mid+4
Hi+6
Pres+8
100+2
170+6
280+4
470+0
800+4
1,3+2
2,2+4
3,8+4
6,3+2

Lead
Warm High Gain
Drive 80
OD 72
Master 62
Lo+4
Mid+6
Hi+6
Pres+6
100+0
170+4
280+2
470+4
800+2
1,3+0
2,2+0
3,8+0
6,3+2
« Last Edit: Time Format by Shredzilla »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey Shred, just to confirm, when things are normal you don't loose volume with your patch changes/settings ?, but sometimes suddenly you do ?
Are you using the compressor ? or any other MP2 effect/circuit ? e.g. wah in any of the patches.

Shredzilla

« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Yes. Everything is pretty normal and then suddenly I loose volume.
I don't use the compressor or any of the effects of the MP2.

Shredzilla

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Is it possible that high input levels - some level LEDs glow red but not the clipping LED - can cause my problems? The manual says a red glowing LED means that the level is 3db below clipping...  :???:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey Shred, mmm I'm not sure that the red is causing the volume drop, it may be part of the issue ??  It's not good gain structure though, I've never seen a red led on my MP1/2s ever (well maybe with the clean sound with lots of compressor flick here and there), I'm guessing, but it sounds like something is getting too hot ?  and running to red leds will exaserbate that to some extent i.e. things are working harder/more heat (but if you have 3db to spare at red... should be ok ?, depends on the sound a bit though).  Your patches have quite a bit of eq boost so will add (lots of) gain/vol, may be worth trying the same "curve" but based around 0 (e.g. turn them all down the same amount (lost of us run mids -4, -6) and then turn master vol up).
Thing is, when I look at your patch settings, yeah they're high and eq (very) up... but the unit should take it. Another thing to consider is, has anything else in you chain of things from guit to cabs got the ability to shut/quieten down when driven to hard ? (is it the MP2 ??).  One check, when the problem starts, does power cycle restore normal ?

Shredzilla

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey rnolan, thanks for help. I forgot to mention that the red LEDs only flash when I'm on my cleanpreset. rest of my presets show no red LED flashing.
I'm not sure if heat is causing my problems because I have good air circulation under and above the mp2. I'll try out the "same curve at different base" thing.
I noticed that lot of you run your mids down to -4 and lots of the factorypresets have mids turned down. for me this sounds too bassy:)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Can you hookup the amp to the effect send so we can rule out some part of the circuit?Set the button on line level.Let me know how this goes.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey rnolan, thanks for help. I forgot to mention that the red LEDs only flash when I'm on my cleanpreset. rest of my presets show no red LED flashing.
I'm not sure if heat is causing my problems because I have good air circulation under and above the mp2. I'll try out the "same curve at different base" thing.
I noticed that lot of you run your mids down to -4 and lots of the factorypresets have mids turned down. for me this sounds too bassy:)
If it sounds too bassy (apart from turn down the bass lo or graphic eq), turning the room eq knob up gets much less bass (for carpeted /deader rooms) and down adds quite a bit of bass (wooden floors, shiny reflective rooms). Probably best to run up sounds with it at 12 o'clock. Also if your cabs are on the floor the bass tends to couple with the floor and increase, I put mine up on milk creates.
If you check the MP2 signal flow (page 2 of user manual) you'll see where MJMP wants you to take the signal (loop send) straight to your amp inputs, if you don't get the power drop like this then the issue  is in the last part of the signal flow/circuit after the loop (so play for same time etc to when problem happens and beyond i.e try to reproduce it).
And again, if when the problem happens you turn in off/wait 10 secs and back on does this correct it ?

Shredzilla

« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

When volume drops and I switch off the MP2 and wait for about 20 secs everything is normal again.
Using the effectloop makes no difference. I reduced my clean channel gain to 20 and normalized the graphic eq settings in all of my presets. After this I had no problems untill now.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up