ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Gain Mod for MP1  (Read 21477 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
SS Gain Mod for MP1
« on: Time Format »

Thinking about doing this mod but I have a few questions about this:

bypassing the Input FET Buffer Circuit

I would like to do this mod, and basically maintain the ability to plug pedals and passive pickup guitars into the input.  Is it possible?

Is it a good idea to do the noise mod at the same time as this?

And how much more gain do I get?  Is this a mod anyone has done on here and enjoys?

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: SS Gain Mod for MP1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, the link doesn't take you anywhere (probably a good thin LOL) so not sure what your asking yet. From my understanding, any of the MP1 mods will maintain the ability to plug the guit direct (IMHO the best choice) or put pedal things in front (one reason I went rack was to get rid of all the stuff in front that needed power supplies etc), now I have a midi pedal, phantom powered.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, the link doesn't take you anywhere (probably a good thin LOL) so not sure what your asking yet. From my understanding, any of the MP1 mods will maintain the ability to plug the guit direct (IMHO the best choice) or put pedal things in front (one reason I went rack was to get rid of all the stuff in front that needed power supplies etc), now I have a midi pedal, phantom powered.

it's not a link man  :D  I dunno why I decided to bold it and underline.

What I am asking is if I leave the FET section steps 8 and 9 will it sound shite?  or is it worth doing the Mod at all since I wish to have the ability to use pedals as well as maintain ability to plug a massive guitar in?  I got a little confused with the guide since it seems to favour the FET bypass option.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

You might wanna contact MJMP....these instructions are a bit older and the Stock Gain mod got some more updates/mods since then (new revision of stock gain mod -> MP-1 Super-Stock
MJMP offers it also as completely new modded tubeboards with far superior components (higher quality caps, resistors and tube sockets).

If you´re already in for the MDRT upgrade, do it all together with the new revision of the noise mod as well.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Don't bypass it,it has no use at all.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

You might wanna contact MJMP....these instructions are a bit older and the Stock Gain mod got some more updates/mods since then (new revision of stock gain mod -> MP-1 Super-Stock
MJMP offers it also as completely new modded tubeboards with far superior components (higher quality caps, resistors and tube sockets).

If you´re already in for the MDRT upgrade, do it all together with the new revision of the noise mod as well.

I had asked him in an email about FET Buffer.

He has responded here

Don't bypass it,it has no use at all.

ok I wont bypass it, thanks.

Does anyone like this mod?  Only seems like 3TM gets mentioned about here, and occasionally the MOD 3.666.

I have 3TM Covered as I'm buying the one up for sale in the for sale section.  I just wanted to make the other mp1 different, and SS seems different.

Worth doing the noise mod at the same time then?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Ask MikeB,i sold him a SS kit a few weeks ago.

MikeB

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Ok, so here's my two cents worth....
My understanding is that the SS mod by itself is not a gain mod.  (MJMP correct me if I'm wrong).  I asked specifically for one without the gain mod included because I want to keep my clean tones clean.

A bit of history first...
My mp1 started blowing tubes and so i took the plunge that it was something on the tube board and bought a replacement from MJMP's mod shop.  I did include the noise mod, so he sent me a beautiful new tube board and a whole slew of bits and pieces to replace on the main board. 

When I put it all back together it was a different beast.  I was getting waaay more gain and some high pitched whistling on some of the patches.  I can only guess that the old tube board was fading gradually over time and that my patches were creeping up to compensate.  I most likely didn't notice this because I went through a long period playing mostly my Marshall.  I finally got around to getting some rack effects gear (TC g-major 2) and then re-did all my patches anyway.  Perhaps because of this I didn't notice the gradual loss of gain.  So, once it was all fixed, it blew me away.  I actually had a patch with OD1 and OD2 both on 10 and I wasn't getting any noise at all!! 

Needless to say, the 10, 10 patch is now extremely noisy and is the one that has the high pitched whistling.  In fact, that patch no longer exists.  I have pegged them all back a bit.  And this is without including the gain mod.  I have more noise now after having done the noise mod than I ever did before, but that would be because of the lost/found gain.

So, in answer to your question, I can't really provide you with a before and after snapshot of the SS mod.  I can tell you that it sounds great after, but I am now thinking that I am going to have to pick up a noise gate.

I've just re-read all of this and realised that I have taken up lots of space not saying much at all.  Sorry I can't really help you.
It has, however, helped me. This is like therapy.  I feel great.  I think I just need to get it all out.  Thanks!!
I don't feel tardy!

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

The Super Stock aka Stock Gain Mod is not that different than the original....which is its intention. Offer more gain (dooooh) while retaining the characteristic MP-1 tone. (BTW, MJMP pls correct me if im wrong.......).
If you´re in for sth "different" I´d recommend the 3.666 or the 3.1 (MJMPs new revision incl new tube board).
MDRT is a vast improvement and I can highly recommend that! As is the new rev of the noise mod.
Also changimg the OD OpAmp to a BurrBrown OPA2604. It adds a tad bit more dynamics and tubey-like warmth....

Just my 2 €-cents and findings I´ve had with my MP-1s  :thumb-up:

BTW, the rev of the 3.1 with the MDRT MJMP did for me in 2009 took it to a more SLO'ish/CAE 3+ character....I liked it a lot!
And the Clean Tube got better as well ;-)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Well the SS mod can be orderd as a standard gain and as an increased gain board.But i usually sell the standard ones because in 90% of the cases these have enough gain unless you have very low output PU's.The SS mod is almost identical to the original except for about 10 caps that have a different value,mostly for tone and noise changes.It makes the tone a bit tighter and brings the noise down compared to the original board but retains the original sound.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Was playing through MikeB's MP1 on Sunday, so this is new tube board, noise mod no gain change (is my understanding ? ), anyway sounds good but he has to keep his master vol down for 10/10 patches, so he's looking into Decimator/Hush or similar (probably Decimator floor pedal in loop is our current thinking). I was using my new JPP LP  >:D , man was the neck PU creamy or what... :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

The Super Stock aka Stock Gain Mod is not that different than the original....which is its intention. Offer more gain (dooooh) while retaining the characteristic MP-1 tone. (BTW, MJMP pls correct me if im wrong.......).
If you´re in for sth "different" I´d recommend the 3.666 or the 3.1 (MJMPs new revision incl new tube board).
MDRT is a vast improvement and I can highly recommend that! As is the new rev of the noise mod.
Also changimg the OD OpAmp to a BurrBrown OPA2604. It adds a tad bit more dynamics and tubey-like warmth....

Just my 2 €-cents and findings I´ve had with my MP-1s  :thumb-up:

BTW, the rev of the 3.1 with the MDRT MJMP did for me in 2009 took it to a more SLO'ish/CAE 3+ character....I liked it a lot!
And the Clean Tube got better as well ;-)

Not sure I fancy those mods.  I like the SS as it's standard tone but bit more TURBO.  I also quite like the idea of doing it myself along with the revised noise mod.

If I had details off all the parts I could do it.

What parts on the main board are worth replacing and what are the improvements?

Is it worth replacing stuff like this with old gear?  I have another unit that might benefit from caps and resistor replacement.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Mike just got all the bits from MJMP who also built him the tube board (nice MJMP BTW  :thumb-up: ) coz Mike wanted it without gain mods, just noise mods.
(Is it worth replacing stuff like this with old gear), I think so, if there was something modern that was as good or better, I'd be happy to recommend it, nothing even close IMHO yet. Also taking advantage of better components either equals or exceeds the original circuit, but for me the main game is keeping it alive and dependable.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Also taking advantage of better components either equals or exceeds the original circuit, but for me the main game is keeping it alive and dependable.

This is what I meant, as it might be a good idea to replace other parts along the way to keep the MP1 ready to rock.  I was hoping I could do my Boss GL100 as well.  I wouldn't know where to begin with what to replace though.  I know I need to do a input socket on it as it's intermittent.  I like the unit and want to keep it.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

The MP1/2 MB1 have been so rock solid, but as things age... Sockets are easy(ish) though, although some of the ADA sockets don't earth to case to alleviate earth loops (e.g. B200s outs). Upside is MJMP has some replacements on hand.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up