Other ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabs

Eminence Speakers

<< < (3/3)

rnolan:
The best speakers I've used were Plessey Rola 12U50s, I think I got them when I was 15...  They also work great as a PA speaker in 4 cub foot cabs with a piezo tweeter.

Explorer84:
I have 4 x Eminence Lynch super v12s in my Marshall 4x12, these things sound fat and punchy,

more midrange than the Celestion G12t-75s that I removed from the cab, but more importantly a really sweet smooth high end

rnolan:
Cool. I had a pair of Eminence fender twin speakers in an open backed 2 x 12, loved them.
Got boogie 90w celestions in my 2 split stacks Not shabby, but a bit middy for me (like all things Boogie..)

Casey_Butt:

--- Quote from: rnolan on November 28, 2013, 11:00:31 PM ---I had 2 x 12's from a fender twin which were allegedly Eminence, not sure the model.  They were in an open back cab a friend had as the top end of his bass rig.  I still have one, the other fried because my B200s (a very early model) went lala on one channel.  I used them for years with a 1972 Marshall 50w and later with my first MP1 rig (MP1 > Alesis Quadverb > B200s), they were great speakers.
--- End quote ---

If those were the blue labelled Fender Special Design speakers they used throughout the 1980s and early `90s, they were a version of the Eminence Legend with a heavy magnet and large speaker coil, made specifically for Fender to handle the 160W Pro and London 185.  I have the exact specs on my home computer (I`m not home at the moment).  They used them in the Twin and other amps also.  I looked into it years ago and was told that directly by Eminence.

I have a pair from an open back Fender 2x12 cab, myself, and I have to say they are perhaps the best sounding speakers I`ve ever heard in that application.  I`ve tried other speakers in there thinking I was upgrading (I have Jensen C12K`s in that 2x12 now) but those Fender-Eminences are honestly the best I`ve played.  They`re fat, clear, sweet, expressive, sensitive... just a damn fine speaker for an open back 2x12.

It`s probably human nature to think the grass is always greener on the other side, and that the stock speakers can`t be that great (especially when they were so common), but those really were.

rnolan:
Hey Casey, totally agree, they were great sounding speakers, I had to be a bit careful pumping  124 B200s watts a side into them, but they did really well for smaler (or micked up gigs). My all time fav though is the Pleassey 12U50, my dad bought me a pair (after I'd blown up the 2 Phillips twin cone 20 w he gave me), I used them for guitar and (with piezo tweeter) for HiFi/ front house in 4 cubic foot cabs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version