ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?  (Read 61380 times)

gtmm

Re: Anyone here boost their ADA MP1?
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

Sorry, added to my response before I saw Chamai's post.

Chamai

« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

someone selling a  Roland m-160 mixer. its rack, 4 sends return. its huge though. the guy is asking $200 bucks canadian for it. what you guys think?
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:
Marshall JCM 800 100w on Orange 2x12
Marshall JCM 900 MKiii 50W 2x12
Mesa Dual Rectifier 100w on Mesa Rectifier 2x12

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul standard
2012 Fender American standard Telecaster
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

Go gtmm The SM10 looks perfect, thinking one for myself now LOL, good price point  :thumb-up: , better appointed than the MM8 and only 1RU. The roland looks ok but 4RU, the SM10 will work with your setup more easily and take 3RU less space. the m-160 is all mono inputs, so you use 2 channels panned hard L/R for a stereo input, although mono channels provide slightly more flexibility in what you send where.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Chamai

« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

found a sm10 locally for 125 bucks cdn. brand new looking. but no gear for me for the next month or 2.. damn
ADA MP1/JCM800-- Fulltone TERC/ Eventide Eclipse /Lexicon PCM 81/ TC G Major. Marshall 9005 stereo/ (2) Rocktron 1x12 cabs
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Good price, best I saw so far was $167 on Amazon. At this point I'd say it's the best contender.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Sorry to drag this thread backup, but I was wondering fpor anyone who has boosted their MP1 (like me both with EQ and OD), has anyone used a trebel booster before?

I'm curious as to what this would be like since a trebel boost is not the same as an EQ pedal set with the trebel (or more accurately the hi mids) sliders up hi to provide an extra bit of gain.

Just thought I'd ask since this is something done on Marshalls back in the day to good effect so I wonder what it's like with an MP1.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry,

I used to boost my MP-1s occasionally with a Keley TS9DX Flex or a GT-OD....

This oneĀ“s (not mine) boosted with a Maxon 808 and sound pretty boss:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Those clips where not to my taste personally.  Just sounded like some generic modern extreme hi gain amp.  I guess it's good that an MP1 classic can be used in that way, mind you there was so much other shit going on there, who knows what the Classic was actually contributing.

I am familiar with an OD boost as I do it myself SC, but I'm particularly keen to hear if anyone has used something like a Dallas Rangemaster or any other "Trebel Boost".  Why?  Because I understand a trebel boost is actually not just the same as having an EQ setup to boost the same frequencies and placing that in front of an amp.  As far as I'm aware it almost adds a fuzz or gritty to the sound as well as boosting said frequencies.

Ultimately I'm just curious as I know Judas Priest used a rangemaster into Plexi's in the early years and also into JCM800's until 1986

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

You can't compare an MP-1 with a 4 input Marshall.With the marshall you go straight into the tube section, with the mp-1 you go first into a FET buffer, then into an opamp based booster and then into the tube section. A treble booster might be too much.Also you need to set the marshall full on to get that Priest sound.It won't work at low volume settings.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

I hear you, but I'm not comparing to a Marshall per say.  I'm comparing the practice of using a boost of some kind.  Something that I know works well with an over drive (and it seems there are lots of choices) and also an EQ.  With a distortion pedal it does not work.  Well not for me anyways.  So I just wondered what it's like with a treble boost and if anyone has tried it.  Surely set low it's do able?

And I can get a close priest tone as you have heard from a 3TM and more recently that new (Old MP1) I bought the other week.  These settings are the shit

OD 1: 4.2 OD2: 7.0 Bass 2 Mid 6 Treble 0 Presence 4

This isn't something I really need to do, just curiosity as those treble boosters really sound unique texture through a marshall.

Question: can't a JCM800 be played without full volume?  Isn't there a master volume?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Well a distortion pedal can work too but it depends on the amp I guess.Won't work well with an MP-1 but sounds awesome on a marshall amp.Listen too Gary Moore he always used a boss DS-1 with his strats and he sounded awesome.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fdXQUug1Ds

I can get a very decent priest sound out of my 3TM.But sound wise there are a lot of factors that come in. Starting with the fingers and ending with the cabs.

I don't think (but I might be wrong) a treble booster will work well with a mp-1.What works well is an EQ set as mid booster or a OD pedal.

Well I think they do sound great with marshall amps since it's actually the marshall that's making the distortion.

Here's a clip where you can hear the difference, a treble booster on a clean marshall en then on a cranked marshall, sounds totally different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPWtp_zgfDI
He also tries it on a Fender but I prefer the marshall sound.

The louder you set a marshall the better it will sound.

Chamai

« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

od pedal makes the ada tighter, but i feel that it thins out the sound a bit

after owning the mp1 for more than 2 years, i find that power amp distortion is the key to a good sound.

i run my mp1 through the low input of the jcm 800. i crank the master to 4 and use an attenuator to lower the volume.

my current settings are od1:7 od2:3.8 Bass:4 mids:4, treb:2 pres:0 or 2. i may use a MXR micro amp or diamond compressor

it feels like a boosted a marshall now.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

@ MJMP

So you can't run a JCM800 at more reasonable volume then?  It has to be loud?

@ Chamai
I don't mean to sound like a :poop: here, but why run an ADA MP1 into a JCM800?  Isn't this like running something that's tries to emulate a JCM800 into a JCM800?  Since you have a JCM800 why not just boost that?

Also different it may be, but you can run an MP1 into a solidstate power amp and get a good sound.  Plenty of people have, and plenty of people do.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

To make it sound good ,yes IMHO.

Chamai

« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

@ MJMP

So you can't run a JCM800 at more reasonable volume then?  It has to be loud?

Very different sound imo. A boosted jcm 800 much more aggressive and saturated. Which is hard to do with the mp1

Mp1 one can give me a thick rythem tone without being too aggressive but with enough gain the same time. Which I find it hard to achieve with the 800. Hard to explain. I'm just a jcm800 fanboy.

@ Chamai
I don't mean to sound like a :poop: here, but why run an ADA MP1 into a JCM800?  Isn't this like running something that's tries to emulate a JCM800 into a JCM800?  Since you have a JCM800 why not just boost that?

Also different it may be, but you can run an MP1 into a solidstate power amp and get a good sound.  Plenty of people have, and plenty of people do.
Amps:

Guitars:
1984 Krammer ZX30H
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up