ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite vintage ADA cabinet simulator  (Read 44848 times)

Casey_Butt

Re: Favorite vintage ADA cabinet simulator
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

I'm up against a few deadlines at work before the Christmas break, but I'll try to label the Spice models of the modded µCabs so they'll make sense to anyone who has the original schematic and knows the circuit.  You have to cut a few traces and add the extra board for some of the mods, but you can also mix-and-match what parts you want and what you don't.

I don't know what it is with the chocolate cake... maybe I have a chocolate deficiency or something.  I'm not usually a cake person, but that thing is messing with me. ;D

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Ok no hurry,take your time.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Casey I 've found a microcab going for cheap, it is however untested and has no power supply.  I'm trying to convince the guy to sell it to me.  Would you take the risk?

Also what is the difference between the microcab 1 and 2?
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Casey_Butt

« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

I think it depends on your comfort level with electronics.  Personally, I'd go for it because I know enough about the µCab to fix just about anything that could be wrong with it, but you have to make a judgement call based on your own situation.

Having said that, I got my first µCab for $30 because one of the channels didn't work.  It turned out to be a loose wire that I found and fixed in a matter of minutes.  That µCab was in very good shape as well... maybe because it didn't get much use because one of the channels didn't work. ;)

« Last Edit: Time Format by Casey_Butt »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Gusy I 've found a microcab going for cheap, it is however untested and has no power supply.  I'm trying to convince the guy to sell it to me.  Would you take the risk?

Also what is the difference between the microcab 1 and 2?

The PSU is a 16Vac adapter,which is a bit harder to find

The diff between the I and the II is the II can handle higher input levels and has a build in PSU.Soundwise they are the same.

Casey_Butt

« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

I didn't use my favorite cab setting on the µCab for that recording.  There was a wire loose in Channel A (my Greenback channel) that would cut in and out intermittently, so I went with Channel B (Celestion G12-65).

I finally fixed that wire.  It was the A Channel signal wire connecting the main board to the input/output board.  The solder joint was loose.  I re-soldered all the board-to-board wires while I was at it.  Solid as a church now. :whoohoo!:

« Last Edit: Time Format by Casey_Butt »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Hey go Casey, happy days  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Casey_Butt

« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Yeah, it's nice to have it in tip-top shape again.  It wasn't too hard to track down, but I hate troubleshooting circuits with a passion.  I must have broke the solder joint when I squeezed the board in when putting it together after the last mods, because it was fine when I tested it on the bench... one little solder joint and you have to take the whole thing apart again.

Actually, the µCabs aren't that easy to work on because you have to take the whole thing apart to work on the boards.  The components are packed fairly tightly, and they have delicate traces that are easy to lift too, if your soldering iron is too high wattage.  Not saying that I haven't seen worse but, in comparison, the MP-1 is much more convenient to mod.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

+1  :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

I think it depends on your comfort level with electronics.  Personally, I'd go for it because I know enough about the µCab to fix just about anything that could be wrong with it, but you have to make a judgement call based on your own situation.

Having said that, I got my first µCab for $30 because one of the channels didn't work.  It turned out to be a loose wire that I found and fixed in a matter of minutes.  That µCab was in very good shape as well... maybe because it didn't get much use because one of the channels didn't work. ;)

I'm not bad with electronics, but I have no idea what half the stuff does.  I just know how to solder and take stuff apart.  I can follow guides with pictures pretty well  ;)

I never got that microcab by the way.  I'm looking at another one now, lets hope I win the auction!!!  Micro cab II
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Sorry for hitting an old thead; I haven't fully navigated around this forum yet, so I still have much to discover...

Is this mod for the Microcab still a thing?  I think I'd be very interested in modding mine. 

Moderators:  maybe this thread needs to be Split? 
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Well it's actually dead,i haven't heard anything from these mods in quite some time.Too bad actually,looked promising

Casey_Butt

« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Sorry it's dead... I'm still around in the background.  In fact, I'm going to be opening up the uCab and making a slight adjustment to the 'thump' control in the next day or two... nothing serious, but some of the mods I did a long time ago decreased the effect of 'thump' so I'm going to get it back to stock levels.  It isn't really necessary, because I think too much 'thump' doesn't sound good anyway, but in the the interest of 'authenticity' I'm going to put the full range back in.

Anyway, if any members here are still interested and want to ask me anything about what I've done, go right ahead.

vansinn

« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Haven't been through the whole thread yet, so maybe already covered..

The sound clips I heard back in the days with Thump active to me sounded overcooked.
IMHO, having this extra whoumps in the abdominal region was somewhat hype'ish back in the days, but really doesn't do too much good.

However, it of course may have some use for some for some types of music with some gear that finalizes it in a useful way, so I'd suggest maybe doing the mod to make it easily adjustable, or maybe better, using a two-step switch, intended for 'just some effect' and 'full punch' ;)

Casey_Butt

« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

It is too much.  The idea was to emulate the proximity effect of an SM57, which it does it spades, but also to the point that it isn't usable unless it's turned down.  I haven't been able to mic a cab with an SM57 and get near the amount of 'thump' that the uCab can get.

When I modded it I reduced the range of the "thump" control to about half of what it originally was.  So now it won't get too 'thumpy' but I can't help but think the range of the thump control should be more dramatic.

I'll play with it this afternoon and decide what I'm going to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up