ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 & MC-1 POWER SUPPLY?  (Read 15240 times)

RandallRG

MP-1 & MC-1 POWER SUPPLY?
« on: Time Format »

Hey Dudes hope everyone is doing good. I know the MC-1 says ("9v AC or DC 500Ma") & the MP-1 says ("9v AC/DC") Can you use ANY type of (9v 500Ma) Power Supply for either of them or does it HAVE TO BE the Original ADA one? There are a bunch of them out there & I was wondering if the "Male" end of any of them would "Fit" either of them? Also I see some companies like Hosa that make a 7 Pin Phantom Powered Cable (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-Technology-ADA-725-7-Pin-Din-25ft-ADA-MP-1-Controller-Cable-ADA725-/261180968838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccf994f86) is anyone using this particular Cable? Thanks for any Info Etc... :metal:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: MP-1 & MC-1 POWER SUPPLY?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Doesn't have to be the ADA PSU,any type will work.Now to avoid polarity issues just use a AC adaptor,this way you don't have to worry about the polarity of the connector.

RandallRG

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks Marshall....appreciate it Buddy!  :metal:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

No problemo  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

is anyone using this particular Cable?
Hey Steve, I still have the original cable but that one on ebay looks fine for the job, albeit black rather than blue  :thumb-up: .Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

RandallRG

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Marshall or Roger hey is there a Midi setting on the MP-1 that you have to set that allows you to control/use the MC-1? I just got a MC-1 with a 7-Pin Hosa Phantom Power cord & my MC-1 is not working. I just plugged it into the Midi "Out" on the MC-1 & the Midi "In" on the MP-1 & still nothing?? Along with using the 7-Pin do you still have to use a Power Supply? I thought the 7-Pin can be used by itself being the "Phantom" Power? Thanks guys!  :metal:
« Last Edit: Time Format by RandallRG »

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Marshall or Roger hey is there a Midi setting on the MP-1 that you have to set that allows you to control/use the MC-1? I just got a MC-1 with a 7-Pin Hosa Phantom Power cord & my MC-1 is not working. I just plugged it into the Midi "Out" on the MC-1 & the Midi "In" on the MP-1 & still nothing?? Along with using the 7-Pin do you still have to use a Power Supply? I thought the 7-Pin can be used by itself being the "Phantom" Power? Thanks guys!  :metal:

You still need the AC adapter.  The 7-pin cable allows you to plug the adapter into the back of the MP-1 instead of having it out on stage with the MC-1.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, as GB says, there is a spot (ac adapter power socket) near the MP1's midi connectors to plug in the ac adapter, the 7 pin lead uses 2 pins to carry that power to the MC1 (you can also plug the ac adapter directly into the MC1 to power it, just not as tidy/convenient), you also have to set the midi channel stuff as the MC1 can transmit on midi channel 1 through 16 or all and the MP1 can receive on midi channel 1 through 16 or all, setting both to "all" is easiest as all you are sending (with MC1) is midi program changes.  Have you read the MP1 manual ?  It covers all this stuff in detail.  Also setting midi channel of MC1 (and other MC1 settings) requires pressing correct buttons together (e.g. bank up   9 etc).  The MC1 has a Ziolog Z80 processor in it, this was a predecessor CPU to the early IBM x86pcs and embedded in quite a few devices.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Best way is to set the mp1 midi to all so this way it does not matter how you set the MC1.I'm pretty sure you can only select one midi channel on the MC1 with the small switches.It doesn't have an all setting.
And yes you need to plug the adaptor into the connector on the back.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

(It doesn't have an all setting) sorry, me bad, I haven't used an MC1 for a very long time so there are litle dip switches to pick the midi channel.  As MJMP says, set the MP1 to All and it won't matter what the MC1 is set for.  But it does need power  ;)

RandallRG

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Thanks again for the Input Guys! Last night myself & the previous Owner figured out that you do need the Power Supply along with the 7-Pin...We tried it on "All" & 1 Etc but nothing....No wonder the MC-1 wouldn't come on! LOL!  Thanks Dudes!! :)

RandallRG

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Marshall/Rich or of course anyone that might know? Did the MC-1's ever come with different mounted Power fittings on the Boards @ times for the Power Supply or ? Check this out...Here are 2 pics of my MC-1's. I have the power Supply & 7 pin midi for them. If anyone knows where I might find the adaptor for the second picture I would appreciate it. Has anyone ever seen a MC-1 like the one in my 2nd picture? I just went to Radio Shack (They have all of those fittings & then some!) & the Dude tried all the one's he had & NONE OF THEM would fit into the Second pictured MC-1? Thanks! \m/
**My Power Supply fits into this one**.................

**It DOES NOT fit into to this one**......

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, never seen that before although I've only had one MC1 and never powered it directly, always via the back panel of the MP1 and 7 pin cable. It looks like the MC1 in the second pick has been modified  :???: but it shouldn't matter if you plug the adapter into the back of the MP1 and use the 7 pin lead.  The same adapter and adapter fitting (as far as I know) was used for the ADA switch pedals (MC1, MXC) and the inlet on the back of MP1/2.  The MXC pedal (came with the MP2) will also work with the MP1 (program changes only) and then you can use the MXC with a realtime midi pedal and quad switch to control your other gadgets (that accept real time midi, like Dante has been doing with his new rig).  The other thing I like about the MXC is it's 2 rows of buttons rather than one long row so not only is it more compact, it's easier to change programs.

RandallRG

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Yeah Rich I thought for a second that it may have been "Modded" but for what reason? I took the board out & you can see that someone did Solder that jack in there....but why? This one has threads on the outside of it. Smooth on the Inside w/Threads on the Outside of it? I don't know hopefully someone will chime in with a bit more info on the subject? I just want to try & find the adaptor that fits it so I can use it! Thanks Buddy \m/

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Steve, my old Tom Shultz Rockman XL100 has a stereo mini jack for power adapter input (it didn't last long on batteries).  From the pic it looks like the same kind of thing but I doubt the MC1 came from ADA like that.
On the power amp front, Dante has the ADA T100 which was ADAs all tube power amp, he's posted the schematics.  The T100 is much the same thing as my Carvin TS100 (albeit much older), they weigh a ton but sound great/killer.  He's pretty attached to it so not sure if he'd let it go to a good home ?  He also has an ADA MT200 (hybrid, tube input SS output) and 100w a side which would be a good fit for your rig.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up