ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA Volumes, how do you set yours?  (Read 18969 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: ADA Volumes, how do you set yours?
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the manual, I get it now. One of the main features it offers is to be able to run 2 stereo preamps into it (gives each their own vol and pres settings) and then select between them via midi/footswitch. So to use with your MP1, you want it to be as simple as possible (just a stereo power amp).  First it sounds like it needs a new set of tubes  :thumb-up: (listed in the manual, basically some 12AX7s (Input/buffer) and some 6L6s or 6550As (power tubes)). So power tubes -  (these look good (http://www.dougstubes.com/tung-sol-6550.html) if you've got a 930/120) or if it's a 930/60 (http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/mullard-6l6gc.html);
Input/Buffer tubes these are my pick (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html)

Amp set up - So to keep it simple, (when both channels are working again), MP1 A out > ENGL A input right, MP1 B out > ENGL A input left, select A input(s) on front (3), then Left A and Right A vol knobs control the volume (set them to 3/4 (2 to 3 o'clock)) and adjust MP1 output knob to suit.  You can play with the other switches (e.g. (bass) depth boost) but I'd keep it flat, it would probably sound good at low vol though (bedroom).  I have presence knobs on my Carvin TS100, never use them I create the tones in my MP2, but if you want to add some 6khz, you can crank them up (will help MP1 stand out in a mix but each patch has it's own presence setting...).
The input gain should be set to accommodate MP1 output range, I'd go gain lo (- 5 dB, max. 15 dB) (gain hi will boost the signal (-23 dB, max. -3 dB)).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dna^Yay

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

No Problem!

I was talking to Eddy at Eurotubes a while back and i spent ages contacting ENGL about seeing what tubes i could put in them, KT88s etc. Safe to say though after months of no emails then eventually some, i think i will get some new 6L6GCs in one side and 6550s in the other (or it might be 5881, cannot remember off the top of my head what the guy said).

Was looking into getting some Genelex gold lions, obviously want to buy all my ENGL and ADA tubes at once so everything is fully matched. Once i get some dollar i will go out and get some tubes, currently running the stock gain mod so only a 2 tube ADA.

At the moment with just one side of the ENGL working, is it possible then to have both AB ADA outputs going into the AB of the Right Side of my ENGL, like it currently is in the picture, then just swap the 8ohm into the 4 ohm and get another speaker cable into the other 4 ohm so its ...

MP1 A and B Out > ENGL A and B Right Side > both 4 ohm Parallel Right into Randall cab switch set to Stereo 4ohm?

Yeah i currently have the gain input button set to low otherwise it is just far too loud. With regards to the volume setup you suggested, like i said in my last post, do i do a Nuno and crank the ADA output volume to around 1-2 oclock, set the ADA gain to about 3-4 for dirts 4-5 for cleans, Or have the ADA output volume around 10-12 oclock and the gains pushed around 6-7.5? Then after that would you say its better to hang the ENGL volume cranked to 2-3 oclock and lower the ADA volume, or have the ADA volume cranked and control the ENGL volume?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

(MP1 A and B Out > ENGL A and B Right Side > both 4 ohm Parallel Right into Randall cab switch set to Stereo 4ohm?)
No and be careful  :facepalm: The ENGL speaker outs on each channel are in parallel (check manual TIP 7).  So if you connect 2 separate 4 ohm speaker loads (by setting Randall cab to stereo and 2 speaker leads), the ENGL Right channel will see 2 ohms (jacks are in parallel so 4 + 4 = 2).  Better to use one speaker cable from ENGL Right 8 ohm jack and RCab on mono 8ohms.
Also MP1 A/B into ENGL Right A/B means if you select ENGL A you get MP1 A, selecting ENGL B selects MP1 B into the ENGL Right channel, The ENGL A is for A of one preamp, and B is for A of a separate preamp (it's just for switching versatility between 2 preamps e.g MP1 and Soldarno etc so you plug MP1 A/B into ENGL Right A and Left A, Soldarno A/B into ENGL Right B and Left B then you can switch between the 2 preamps by selecting ENGL A or ENGL B button).  The ENGL has a Right and Left channel, each channel has 2 inputs A and B which you can switch (i.e. pick L/Rs A signal, ot L/Rs B signal)
Better to go MP1 A out to ENGL Right A, MP1 B out to ENGL Left A (now your in stereo :thumb-up: note select A (preamp) on ENGL), Randall cab set to stereo, ENGL Right 4 ohm Speaker out to Randall Right, ENGL Left 4 ohm Speaker out to Randall Left.
I don't think you can use different output tubes for left and right channels, (as you can with Carvin TS100) (check manual) It says for 930/60 use 6L6GC Matched (per side), or if you have 930/120 use 6550A Matched per side.
Go with matched 6L6s if you have a 930/60 OR 6550As only if you have a 930/120.  For all the 12AX7s (3) I'd use Mullard reissues, nice tubes BTW.

Dna^Yay

« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

(MP1 A and B Out > ENGL A and B Right Side > both 4 ohm Parallel Right into Randall cab switch set to Stereo 4ohm?)
No and be careful  :facepalm: The ENGL speaker outs on each channel are in parallel (check manual TIP 7).  So if you connect 2 separate 4 ohm speaker loads (by setting Randall cab to stereo and 2 speaker leads), the ENGL Right channel will see 2 ohms (jacks are in parallel so 4 + 4 = 2).  Better to use one speaker cable from ENGL Right 8 ohm jack and RCab on mono 8ohms.
Also MP1 A/B into ENGL Right A/B means if you select ENGL A you get MP1 A, selecting ENGL B selects MP1 B into the ENGL Right channel, The ENGL A is for A of one preamp, and B is for A of a separate preamp (it's just for switching versatility between 2 preamps e.g MP1 and Soldarno etc so you plug MP1 A/B into ENGL Right A and Left A, Soldarno A/B into ENGL Right B and Left B then you can switch between the 2 preamps by selecting ENGL A or ENGL B button).  The ENGL has a Right and Left channel, each channel has 2 inputs A and B which you can switch (i.e. pick L/Rs A signal, ot L/Rs B signal)
Better to go MP1 A out to ENGL Right A, MP1 B out to ENGL Left A (now your in stereo :thumb-up: note select A (preamp) on ENGL), Randall cab set to stereo, ENGL Right 4 ohm Speaker out to Randall Right, ENGL Left 4 ohm Speaker out to Randall Left.
I don't think you can use different output tubes for left and right channels, (as you can with Carvin TS100) (check manual) It says for 930/60 use 6L6GC Matched (per side), or if you have 930/120 use 6550A Matched per side.
Go with matched 6L6s if you have a 930/60 OR 6550As only if you have a 930/120.  For all the 12AX7s (3) I'd use Mullard reissues, nice tubes BTW.

Ok i understand now, i had a proper think about everything and analysed my amp good and proper. So if the 4ohms are in parallel and both connected it equates to 2 ohms? 8+8=4ohm , and there is only one output either side for the 16 ohm.

So if i only wanted to use the right side of the ENGL but use 2 cabs i would use both of either the 4 or 8 ohms? or could i have one 4ohm cab and one 8 ohm cab coming out of the right side? Amps and their ohmage have always confused me hence why i have never dabbled with stereo or extra cabs.

Then i guess when plugging the ADA into both left and right ENGL input A it will then be running in stereo, i have the option to have another stereo preamp going into either side of the ENGL B and then i just use the input A/B switch to swap between stereo MP1 or stereo (insert stereo amp name)?

With the power amp tubes, i was told really my options were the 6L6GCs, 5881s, KT66 which are all the same group of tubes, so i thought as long as i bought all 4 together matched and then have them biased then i will have different tonal qualities coming out of either side of the amp?

Have been looking at your choice of Mullard power and pre amp tubes, was also browsing into the Genelex gold lion brand of power and pre tubes but was unsure. Having a look on the forum to see what other peoples experiences are of tubes they have used as i would need to get 2 for the MP1 and 3 for the ENGL.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Ok, your getting there but still haven't quite grasped the ENGL.  Part of the problem is labels (left right, a/b etc). So lets break it right down to fundamentals. The ENGL is a stereo power amp, it has a left (mono) channel and a right (mono) channel = L/R stereo.  Each separate channel (i.e. L/R) has 2 inputs A & B which you can switch between, so Right A and Left A = stereo L/R "A" and Right B and Left B = stereo L/R "B" So you have preamp 1 (e.g. ADA MP1) A out > ENGL Right A in and B out to ENGL Left A in (so selecting A on the ENGL picks MP1 in stereo).  Then you can go Peamp2 (enter preamp name (e.g. MP2 >:D ) A out > ENGL Right B and B out > ENGL Left B (so selecting B on the ENGL picks the MP2 or whatever).  So this is used to select between 2 "stereo" preamps (A L/R, or B L/R). If you just have one preamp (MP1), connect MP1 A out to ENGL Right A and MP1 B out to ENGL Left A.  Now each side of the ENGL (L/R) has input signal (select A on ENGL front BTW as you want the L/R "A" inputs).
Now you have the speaker outs, they are a little confusing albeit very versatile. Each channel (L/R) has 3 connectors, 16 ohm, 8 ohm, 4 ohm.  For your setup, connect the 4 ohm from ENGL Right to cab R and 4 ohm from ENGL Left to cab L.
Don't get confused with the labels, if you just use the right channel of the ENGL, it's mono and the left channel is doing nothing, selecting the A input or B input on the front just picks between the 2 input sockets for that channel.
So you need to get signal into ENGL Right channel and Left Channel and run half your cab from ENGL Right out and the other half from ENGL Left out
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up