ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA Volumes, how do you set yours?  (Read 18973 times)

Dna^Yay

ADA Volumes, how do you set yours?
« on: Time Format »

So i have just been dabbling around with my MP-1 and am just trying to figure out the best way to have my volume`s. I have heard that pushing the power amp to get tube distortion is favoured over pre amp tube distortion, so should i keep my master gains low, output level knob around 9 oclock or even 8 and then just crank up the power amp volume, or do i whack the volume to 1 or 0.7 and then just dime out the output level ? 

Granted if i changed to another patch that did not have low gain i would probably jump out of my skin with the sudden jump in volume.I am currently running my MP1 through an ENGL 60 watt power amp

Is there a general rule of thumb on a certain level to run the MP-1? As it seems when i try out some tones i have patched in for the ADA it can get stupidly loud e.g

DT
od 1/17
gain 8
bass 2
mid 0
treb -2
pres 2

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: ADA Volumes, how do you set yours?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Dna^Yay, have a read of the manual (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=111.0), there's a pretty good description on how to set up patches and set your OD levels etc.
ADA preamps are designed to be used with clean transparent power amps, all the tone and colour is done in the preamp.

(I have heard that pushing the power amp to get tube distortion is favoured over pre amp tube distortion), I think this kind of strategy comes from 60's 70's amp days where guitarist chased distortion from wherever they could get it, Blackmore used to kick a hole in his speakers to get some speaker distortion as well.  While you can chase some poweramp distortion/colour if you want to, it's generally not how to run a MP1/2.

Typically, I run my power amp on 3/4 (give or take depending on venue/stage (maybe 1/2 for home/bedroom)), and control the overall volume with the MP1 output knob (set this with you loudest patch e.g. over the top killer lead solo).  Set individual patch volumes with their master vol so you get the right volume change between patches (e.g. rhythm, lead).  When creating patches, run them up at stage level first, then turn the output vol down for home/bedroom levels.  MP1s are designed for stage use so they can get very loud if required  >:D
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

DNA,

What kind of tone are you going for?   Output tube overdrive is more of a vintage Blues type of sound, If you'll allow me to generalize. That's the tone I go for when I pick up my guitar, but I use amps similar to Fender blackface and tweed non-master volume amps.  Sounds pretty clean compared to more modern amps with cascaded gain stages in their preamps.

DrNewcenstein

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Something in the back of my head never did sit right with that whole "poweramp distortion" thing, now I know why.

What about "speaker breakup"? Should one strive for that in these modern times (assuming you want nice cleans), or should one avoid it?
My gut says avoid it and go for a cleaner, articulate speaker tone like I get form my Carvin 2x12.

As for seting the mp-1, I typically set the volume according to the cleans, since it's easy to outrun them with the driven tones (from crunch to wail). Generaly I get too much compression for my tastes if the cleans are too loud in the Gains (SS voice), and I can't really get "good" clean tones with the Clean Tube voice.

As well, since the OD1 clip light comes on if I set it to anything above 4.5, I don't run it that high. OD2 can go to max for all I care, and I get plenty of distortion even for Thrash at about 7 on that.

Can't recall what my knobs are set to - not in front of it ATM. IIRC the Out is higher than the In.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I subscribe to the 'clean speaker' theory. I don't want my speakers breaking up at all.That's why I run a 50w amp into a speaker rated at 300w.

Nowadays though, I'm not bringing the amp or the speakers, just running directly into the mixer. Can't get any cleaner than that.

Oh, and I always start with the clean tones first too. That's the best attack plan

Axemane

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I usually run my power amp full tilt or thereabouts and use the preamps output volume set to whatever the room/situation calls for.
As for the speakers I always have some V30's in there. This rig I am putting together now will be in stereo with 2  4-12 Marshall cabs. One is GT1275's and the other vintage 30's. Should be rockin'  :whoohoo!:

Dna^Yay

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Thanks for all of the input guys!!

Just will have to mess around with it all.

Also would it be better to set my power amp at 4 or 8 or 16 ohms? Read somewhere that 4ohms is pretty loud, correct me if i am wrong. Currently am running at 8ohms

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Also would it be better to set my power amp at 4 or 8 or 16 ohms? Read somewhere that 4ohms is pretty loud, correct me if i am wrong. Currently am running at 8ohms

Depends on the speaker impedance?

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

As MarshalJMP says - it depends on the speakers.  Mismatching impedance is risky business, particularly with tube power amps.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

A tube power amp cranks out the same wattage regardless of impedance, the secondaries on your output transformer match the impedance of the output tubes to the impedance of the speakers.  Running your poweramp at an incorrect impedance setting will most likely 'suck' tone due to the mismatch from output to speaker, but most importantly it could cause catastrophic failure in your poweramp.  Won't get you any louder.

Some amps are more sensitive to impedance mismatches than others, just stick to the correct match.

Sorry, not trying to harsh your vibe, I just don't want to see you wreck your gear due to some bad advice. :homer:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Dna^Yay, the stuff you read no doubt referrers  to transistor power amps, they drive/deliver different output power (watts) depending on the speaker load, (in general more into less) as in a (tranny) power power amp may deliver 80 watt rms into 8 ohms and 100 into 4 ohms and less (~50 watts?) into 16 ohms (i.e. more resistance, less watts to the speakers), as BDS says, tube amps (as they have an output transformer) are different.  Also with transistor amps, if you put to little a load on them (e.g. 2 ohm) than they are designed for, you can damage them (suck the guts out of them).  Another side of the coin though is the speakers, 16 ohm speakers have more windings (more electrical resistance) but they are thus more efficient and sensitive. Its all a balance, but rule of thumb is match both the speaker impedance/resistance and power handling to what the power amp is capable of/designed for. (it's actually not quite that simple in that speakers change their resistance /impedance with frequency and other stuff)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dna^Yay

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey all

Thanks for the input,

So if i set my amp to either 4 or 8 ohms there is no real difference? Volume is louder etc? I would never mismatch the impedances as like some of you have said it would damage the poweramp and cab.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Are you talking about a tube or a solidstate amp?

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Are you talking about a tube or a solidstate amp?

DNA,

I'm assuming you're using a tube power amp ==>> Your 60W ENGL you referenced in the original post puts out 60W regargless of the impedance.

Dna^Yay

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Yeah its a 60w stereo tube power amp, there is 2 sides so i guess it can be run in stereo. Also for each side my amp has the options to go 4 ohm 8 ohm or 16 ohm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up