Non ADA Gear > Guitar Wiring

2 Humbuckers, 1 Volume, 1 Tone/push pull coil split - Help Please!

(1/5) > >>

rabidgerry:
Hi guys, I need help with this wiring.  I have wired this mod in one of my guitars because it had the mod done to it when I first bought it and I've always thought it was neat and descrete.

However when I changed pickups many moons ago and wired up the new bridge pup things have never been quite right.

So the functionality was working yes, but to me the signal has always seemed quite strangled or something.

Also the push pull I thought had got damaged from something careless done by me.

So I swapped it out last night and wired up following this diagram (see attached) and it all works ok but again sounds strangled on full humbucker and also I get mega noise when I touch the dam control knob.  The noise to me sounds as though I am touching the signal end of a guitar cable.

I am not sure but I believe this has something to do with the neck pickup which only has a signal wire and earth and a shield.  However this pickup can be split, because when I first bought this guitar it had two pickups in there with only three wires and they were both wired to the push pull and both split with out any issues.  So something must have been different but I cannot for the life of me figure it out.  Can someone please help?

***************Important****************
I might need to point out that the three wire pickup works like this, the white wire is a join between positive and negative.  I have tested this and know it to be true.  If I connect multimeter to the shield and to this white wire and leave out the red wire entirely I get half the humbucker resistance (about 4k).  If I connect multimeter to the red wire and the shield wire I also get 4k.  If I connect multimeter to the white wire and the red wire and leave out the shield I get 8k.

MarshallJMP:
Are both PU's irongear pickups?

If the bridge PU only has signal,ground shield wires you can't split them.

Seems like the bridge PU is wired in parallel?

What about the green wire?

rabidgerry:
Oh no, silly me I meant to wipe that bit out.  The pickups are a dimarzio in the bridge and the original stock pickup that was in already.

So the dimarzio has the usual 4 conductors and a shield.

The switch right now functions as it should, it splits the neck and the bridge pickup when pulled but I get this shit noise when I touch the control.  Like when your finger touches a cable signal end.

Originally when I bought this guitar it had the two three wire pickups installed and also had the mod working without issue, but then I swapped the bridge out for a dimarzio.  Which then complicated things or made me screw up somewhere.

MarshallJMP:
Is the pot chassis tied to ground?

Kim:
The diagram will be misleading if you're using a DiMarzio pickup instead of the IronGear because the color codes aren't the same.  The IronGear in the diagram has the Green/White together, Black Ground while the DiMarzio needs the Black/White together, Green Ground.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version