Miscellaneous > Gigs - Live Talk

Mono vs. Stereo

<< < (2/2)

vansinn:

--- Quote from: Dante on November 14, 2018, 08:07:39 PM ---...And, if you're putting a mic in front of your guitar cab anyway (which is how I roll), how many speakers are you mic'ing? ONE.

--- End quote ---

Sorry for going slightly OT, but one mic in front of one driver in a 4x10/12 actually does record all four drivers.
The one with the mic directly on front of it is recorded 'directly', the other ones at lower levels - and slightly delayed; hence we get the comb-filtering effect, with it's filtering of certain frequencies, often resulting in a more crisp sound image.
/OT

WRT the split-cab, I would install a perforated wall, clad with rigid glasswool on both sides.
I believe this would allow enough left/right separation, while likewise let all drivers 'see' enough volume for the low-end response.

Dante:
van, you're probably right about getting some signal from the other speakers, but a unidirectional mic (Shure SM57) should help that a lot.

GuitarBuilder:
Stereo works great for studio recording!  I agree it would get lost in live performance mix.

rabidgerry:

--- Quote from: Kim on November 04, 2018, 09:23:23 AM ---And since every venue we've ever played so far has Mono PA systems run by a Soundguy who always seem to get very annoyed if they have to afford an extra mic and desk channel for the same guitar. 
(It's like ordering food and when asking for extra chips they either refuse to give them or they just get angry and throw them at you)

--- End quote ---

Yeah I've experienced this as well.  But they have no arguement when they'd be micing up for a second guitarist anyway.

I probably will never ever go back to mono, stereo really works well for a one guitar band.  I don't get to enjoy it myself on stage so much (unless the sound man has the ability to pan left and right cabs to seperate monitors for me) but it seems to be noticeable out front in the majority on places I play.  I use stereo Chorus both subtley and more obvious plus stereo delays that pan left and right so I use stereo Chorus both subtly and more obvious plus stereo delays that pan left and right so this definitely sounds better in stereo than mono or dual mono (using two cabs each side of the stage).

Playing a stereo rig has also made me look a lot more into utilizing FX in a way I would have done before.  I may not have cracked thing s yet but it certainly inspired me to look into maximizing the potential of using a stereo setup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version