ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

my new mp1 sounds like dudu

(1/6) > >>

davidfugler:
 Hi, I'm new to this forum. Thank God I found it. My mp2 has the motorboat problem, so I got an mp1 for a backup, and sent out my mp2 to get worked on. I listened to a number of clips of mp1's that sounded fantastic, but this mp1 sounds like a 30 dollar peice or garbage. the eq is the problem all 4 points are so narrow I had to zero out bass and mid, and pull down treble and presence, and use a graphic eq to boost up lower mids and bass, way up, to get anything close to a usable sound
I have searched this forum for hours and hours, but I'm not sure which mod would best address this thin, treble heavy, pocket radio from the 60s sound. Or, throw this mp1 in the trash and try getting another one, and hope for better luck....Help.

rnolan:
Hey david, welcome to the depot  :wave: , and we are happy to help as much as we can :thumb-up: .There are some posts about the MP2 motorboating if you dig around.  It was quite a while ago it came up IIRC This post (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=177.msg820#msg820) is related to it.  You can do the MP2 noise mod, replace 21 caps and a resistor, IMO the resistor (R913  :dunno: ) is the most important (if it needs replacing), if you get 190v or just under (around 187v) at the test point then it doesn't.  The problem comes when the test point voltage exceeds 190v.  MJMP puts a kit together with all the components you need for the mod (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).The MP1 should sound good out of the box, factory patch 1 (Marshall) should sound very usable, I used it as a starting point for most of my MP1 patches.  So I'd try reloading the factory patches:LOAD ALL 69 PRESETS:
1. Press the STORE button. lt will light.
2. Press the BANK button and while holding the BANK button down press the number 1 button.
3. The display will read "Presets Loaded" When the display returns to a program number, all 69 factory presets have, been restored.
If patch 1 still doesn't sound good, it could be tubes, always worth putting in some new ones anyway.
I suggest you start 2 new topics one for your MP2 and one for your MP1 either in their respective areas or in the Lets get technical and we'll work through the issues with you  :thumb-up:

davidfugler:
thank you

Chamai:
what power amp and speakers are you using?
im rocking a marshall 9005 power amp with g12t75 speakers. my mp1 sounds freaken massive.

davidfugler:
my mp2 sounds massive through my hafler and EV loaded one twelve cabs. The mp1 with factory preset 1, various new tubes sounds terrible.I even took the new Mullards out of the mp2, used those, and no better. tiny and tinny. Gotta be something wrong with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version