Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Gallien Krueger

<< < (2/4) > >>

bunkyloo:
I had a GK 250-RL rackmount when I was in high school I believe that unit was an 86 or so I traded a Randall 100 watt head for it.
 It sounded great for what I was doing at the time. The funny part people always mentioned was I had a Hartke guitar 4X12 all the while a complete coincidence a bass focused  company as well.  It all sounded good I was happy at 15 years old. This was like 1994 I believe so still a strong unit. :headbanger:

McLeanAB:
So how's it going with the 2000cpl?  :)

rabidgerry:
I'm struggling with it to be honest.

It doesn't sound like Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son as soon as you plug in.

It works perfectly but I aint got it working how I want.  Perhaps it's my weird playing style or something?  I dunno.  Feels kinda strange to me.  And I can't make up my mind where the mid's and highs should be.  Is it fizzy?  Is it not?  I dunno?

The best sound I got, was right out of the units head phone jack, no speaker impulse, no nothing.  Just me, headphones, and the GK.  Dialed the 10khz and 5 kHz down a little from what I had had them at and turned the chorus on and I got a lot closer to the Maiden sounds I was expecting.

I'm starting to think the GK cabs were fairly flat response.  I dunno though, no one owns this gear anymore to ask what it was like and how it was designed to run.  So so far headphones output is best with treble dialled back a little.  It also had a better mix with the chorus.  Out of the direct main outputs turning chorus on is way to much in the mix and there is not mix control so that's not good for me.

I might need to do those internal trimp pots for gain.  Maxed out it's good, but I need more I don't want to keep striking the strings as hard all the time.  It's very dynamic to touch.  If I chug pick lightly it sounds much to clean.

The cleans (which I never use) are actually incredible.  Unbelievable actually.  Feels and sounds amazing.

But that's not what I want!  I want distortion just like off those Maiden albums.  What cabs where they using?  Who knows?

rabidgerry:
Ok so I found a good setting on the eq with my usual cab impulse.

10khz - 2 o clock
5khz - 2 o clock
500hz - 10 o clock
80hz - 1 o clock

Gain - Max
Compressor - On

I still can't get a good mix with the chorus.

I also discovered that there is a mono and stereo switch on the back for line outs and xlr outs (a switch each).  Mine was originally switched to mono for the unbalanced line outs.  Well I switched it to stereo, it sounds much better now.  I just wish I had a better control for the chorus mix god dammit!  I can actually see me using this now at some point,  which is the god dam idea  :lol:

It feels so weird to play,  you have to play as light as possible.  I am not used with that.  I was blessed with the worst heavy touch any guitarist has ever had so this feels mega weird to me.  Thankfully I am starting to dig it,  Noise gate works great, but it's still got a bit of noise.  Caps probably need replacing.

McLeanAB:
Yeah, keep fiddling with it!

Like the Rockman units I have, my memory of them is FAR superior to the actual unit... especially after hearing Alex Lifeson use one on POWER WINDOWS (in addition to the GK 250ml/rl).  I'm not a huge fan of Maiden, but they might have used a slight boost in front?  Not sure...

I know Fates Warning used the GK 250ml/rl on PERFECT SYMMETRY... a very strange sound, but unique at that moment in time (as did Ritchie Sambora?  But not sure which Bon Jovi album)...

It's been so long since I had mine... I do miss it, and the Rockman is close, but lacks the gain... the Rockman, however, does have stellar cleans as well...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version