Non ADA Gear > Effects

Soundlab SST 19 (Nobels SST 19) Broken

(1/8) > >>

rabidgerry:
Hi guy's,

call me insane right....................but I bid on this insanely rare preamp a few weeks ago and won it outright.  It is a clone of the Rockman XPR.  When I asked the original owner to test the rear input on the unit he did so and suddenly the unit (which was working perfectly up until that point) stops working.  He tried to get it going again for me but unfortunately he was unable.

So he listed the item again but as broken this time and I won it again knowing it was broken.  However I figured an old unit like this may be worth trying to save, particularly how rare it is.  I was hoping with the help of you guys I might be able to get the unit back up and running again.  If not I guess I could sell the unit it on and make my money back, but either way I hope something can be done.

This is how the owner describes the issue:

--- Quote ---Was working great until just last week. Now comes on for a short period and works normally before going weird. Sound passing through but you have to switch it on and off to get it going again but same thing happens again after a short time.

May be something simple such an electrolytic cap that has expired and needs replacing? Or one of the chips?

One of the front panel push switches is pushed in and no longer clicking so may be that that needs replaced?

A challenge for someone!!
--- End quote ---

I got pics of the inside also which I can post later, but let me know what you all think or am I flogging a dead horse?

MarshallJMP:
Didn't find any info on these?

rabidgerry:
That's how rare it is!

For some reason the same model as the Nobels SST119 was issued under the soundlab name also.  From what I understand Nobels had made their own rockman clones and where trying to get away with murder so perhaps they tried to issue the same unit under a different name to try and avoid getting nailed by Rockman, who knows?  Either way the soundlab I have won is exactly the same as the Nobels.  I dug a little further and found Nobels also copied the x100 headphone amp and some other items in the rockman range only made their housing out of metal.  Apparently at one time Kramer were backing the nobels rockman copied range!!!  If you search you will find adverts feasturing both brands of equipment.

My one idea is to contact Nobels and ask for a schematic perhaps?  Long shot.

example

https://reverb.com/item/9677450-vintage-nobels-kramer-sound-studio-min-pak-variable-filter-tone-dist-gain-normal-od-dist-germany-9-volt-1989-red

MarshallJMP:
Well keep us updated!

rnolan:
Hey RG, your insane  :crazy: well not really, though I'm sure others (who aren't into guitar gear) may think so  :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version