ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-1 Ultimate 80's Tones  (Read 11070 times)

MP-1 Ultimate 80's Tones
« on: Time Format »

I'm preaching to the choir here, but here's another clip demonstrating what the MP-1 does best; cranked 80's tones. I run over a few common tips and tricks (presence and chorus).

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: MP-1 Ultimate 80's Tones
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

THAT was some really NICE playing, very Gilbert sounding.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Nice  :thumb-up: , as Angry Anderson said in the Alberts Blood and Thunder doco, no one attacks a guitar like an Australian  >:D .

I used to use the rate = 0 depth 100 when I used MP1 (for many years) it works well, adds a very short delay without the modulation (rate). IIRC when we were posting about this a while ago MJMP told us what the delay time was  :dunno: .

When I moved to MP2 I used it as well for a while, but more recently, I stopped as with the MP2 chorus you get a bit of flanging, particularly (more noticeable) when you run stereo into the same cab.  MP1 chorus is a little different and doesn't flange.

The presence tip is a good one, I was doing that too but didn't think about it much, it just sounded good  :metal: .

And I see a Digi 002 in the rack, thus you use protools (it won't work with anything else  :facepalm: )..

What were the patch settings you were using BTW (many will like to know LoL)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I watched the intense rock VHS a lot growing up (which also factors into the ADA love).

Nice  :thumb-up: , as Angry Anderson said in the Alberts Blood and Thunder doco, no one attacks a guitar like an Australian  >:D .

I used to use the rate = 0 depth 100 when I used MP1 (for many years) it works well, adds a very short delay without the modulation (rate). IIRC when we were posting about this a while ago MJMP told us what the delay time was  :dunno: .

When I moved to MP2 I used it as well for a while, but more recently, I stopped as with the MP2 chorus you get a bit of flanging, particularly (more noticeable) when you run stereo into the same cab.  MP1 chorus is a little different and doesn't flange.

The presence tip is a good one, I was doing that too but didn't think about it much, it just sounded good  :metal: .

And I see a Digi 002 in the rack, thus you use protools (it won't work with anything else  :facepalm: )..

What were the patch settings you were using BTW (many will like to know LoL)

I'd love to know the delay time, I use a Fractal AX8 most of the time now and it would be cool to cop that trick in there too.

Settings
OD1 4.6
OD2 7.0
Master 5.5
Bass 2
Middle -4
Treble 4
Presence 8

The Digi is just filling space in the rack at the moment, I'm using an Apollo Twin with Pro Tools 12; IIRC Avid changed from requiring hardware to be synced to using an iLok (slightly more convenient I guess).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

It's chorus so it will be around 10 to 30 ish ms, very short, if you dig around you may find the post, you can call up either mine or MJMPs profile and select show posts (but there will be quite a few...) or trawl the MP1 area (unless MJMP remembers and posts it again)  :wave:

Thanks for posting the patch  :whoohoo!:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Well the delay time = N/2.fclk so in case of a MN3007 BBD that's 1024/2.fclk. The clock frequency (fclk) in the mp-1 is (depending on the mp-1) from 30kHz-60kHz to 270kHz-310kHz. (Rate at 0 and depth going from 100 to 0). I have seen all different frequency's but the best sounding ones are the ones with the lowest frequency.
It seems to depend on the CD4046 phase looked loop which can give different frequency's depending on who made it. But the mp-1 was designed to work with 30-270 kHz.
Usually from what I encountered the older mp-1's are more in that area while the newer ones have shifted to a higher clock.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, that's fantastic but what's the delay time when depth set to 100 in ms ? (IIRC you did post this before). I know it's a short doubling style delay (as that's part of how you make chorus) and shouldn't be more than 40 ms (or it starts to be an echo)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Well for a clock of 30kHz that would be around 17ms, 50kHz around 10ms.So you see this quite a difference and that's why some MP-1 chorus has a better sound then the other.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Thanks MJMP,  :thumb-up: , so setting the depth (with rate 0) to 100 will give you a 17ms delay with 30kHz clock, and 10ms with a 50kHz clock. So you could try to emulate this in your delay unit (albeit, the ADA uses analog bucket brigade delay which is warmer).  So which sound better ? the 17 or 10 ms chorus  :dunno:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

The chorus also uses a compander (compressor expander) and some filters (anti aliasing and reconstruction) so that will also have some influence on the sound.

vansinn

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Well, if the original MP-1 had the chorus running on a slower clock, and the AA filter was never changed when newer 4046, generating a faster clock, then at least the AA filter should always work as high up (in the case of the original slower clock) or higher than required (in the case of newer faster clock).
I this is the case, the AA filter, always working high enough to filter correctly, ought to never influence tone; same with the reconstruction filter.

The NE570 compander, implementing compression/expansion for lowering noise levels and allowing the MN BBD chip to handle dynamics, shouldn't impose any artifacts on tone, no matter which clock the BBD runs at.

As such, if I'm correct, the chorus sound should depend purely, or almost ;), on the clock-frequency-determined chorus delay time.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

The AA filter is a 2nd order low pass sallen key filter at 7.3kHz so it can make a "small" difference. But with the older delays the filter freq was much lower and there you can hear a huge difference.

What also makes a difference is that as soon you engage the rate it always starts at the lowest clock freq, so if the depth is set low it will sweep from 30-40kHz vs 50-60kHz that makes quite a difference in sound, so the chorus wil sound much deeper with mp-1's that start on 30kHz vs mp-1's that start at 50kHz.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I watched the intense rock VHS a lot growing up (which also factors into the ADA love).

I have that same video.  Well mine is a dvd of the same video.  I sound nothin like Paul Gilbert though :lol:  Got it a few years ago.

Weird I never use the MP1 Chorus.  Mainly because I don't use an FX unit that has a stereo input (currently).  I have a few units that I could run with it but I haven't set them up yet and I'll never get to use them live anyways since I have to keep my rig light for shows abroad.  I have a show in London in December and the whole 4 rack thing I ue locally is causing me problems already, so I might have to cut back to a 2U rack which is shit.

@2112
Noticed you aren't locking you nut off, how come?
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MikeB

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Holy crap!  This is the most technical thread I've ever read anywhere.  :dunno:
I don't feel tardy!

vansinn

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Holy crap!  This is the most technical thread I've ever read anywhere.  :dunno:

Well.. if we'd had all the 110.000 posts from the old forum available, you'd see some really deep-core technical discussions.. ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up