ADA Preamps > MP-2

MP2 prices?

(1/3) > >>

j4q0:
Hey guys,

I might regret this, it's been a while since I've played my ADA gear and since I'm playing my 5153 all the time I'd like to sell my MP2 and I was wondering if anybody can comment on what are the ongoing prices.
The unit works flawlessly and is in pristine condition with only a few scratches on the top cover.

Cheers!

rnolan:
Hey j4q0, yes you will regret it  :facepalm: , IMHO the MP-2 is the best preamp ever (although I haven't tried a classic yet and that may sway me  :dunno: ).  Ok so your in Canada, this means it's 110v ? and shipping will be relative to where you are (often the cost of shipping kills the deal).
Over time I've bought 5 MP-2s, my price point for a good working unit (without the MXC pedal pack) is around $500 AUD delivered (so around $497 CAD).
Remembering though I'd be up for new tubes (what tubes are in it BTW??), the front jack needs changing (not a biggie), probably the display screen is fading, again not a biggie to change out, and then there's the noise mod (21 caps and 1 (or 2) resistors), this is a bigger job although not necessarily essential depending how you play.  MP-2s are also now very much in needing new memory battery territory.

j4q0:
Thanks for the reply.
I did have a classic and it was my main rig together with a mesa 2:90 for about 10 years in the early 2k. I loved that unit but wanted something different and also got tired of buttons instead of knobs.
The Classic used to sound very well with everything flat and perhaps a bit of eq tweaking depending on the application, loved the chorus and the noise gate and the brown channel was way better than the distortion channel, only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't a high gain channel.

I find it a bit hard to program the MP2 with a sound I like and the high gain distortion is not as tight as my 5153 so that's why I left it behind for several months already. Perhaps I can get some tips on programming the unit? If I can get a high gain tone heavy and tight similar Down - Nola album, lamb of god or Megadeth latest albums... I'll be happy camper.

I'll answer your questions and i have a couple more if you don't mind:
- Yes 110v.
- Every single musician that buys music gear over the internet pays shipping for literally everything so I can't do anything about shipping as shipping is shipping.
- Price wise I prefer to convert all to USD so we're talking about $370 USD, now when you say delivered that means that the unit was about $300 USD?
- It has the original tubes, I tried a couple of mullards and there's not much of a difference honestly, perhaps because I haven't played it loud enough.
- Front jack works without any problems, when you say it needs to be replaced does this have a significant improvement on the tone of the unit?
- Display screen not fading at all  :headbanger:
- No noise mod performed as the original owner told me.
- Battery, I've had it for about a year and a half and I haven't had any problem with the battery.

rnolan:
Hey j4q0, hey happy to help with MP-2 programming, there's a few of my patches in the MP-2 patch section which are probably a good starting point, they all work at stage volume.  I found the Mullard long plates really 3D and suit my style of playing, but yes this was at stage volume.

Answers:
Yes $300 USD would be a decent price (IMHO) for a stock MP-2 in good condition.  It costs around $100 AUD to get one to Australia.
The original tubes will be quite old now, but it depends how much use they've had as to their condition.
The front jack is mostly a maintenance thing as it takes lots of ware over the years, again depending on use. It's a cheap and easy change. but if it's not broken or degraded....
The memory battery is now many years old, way past what ADA advised re lifespan.  It's a 3v lithium (a CR2032 works as a replacement).  You can measure it to check, it needs to be 2.7v or better.  We've had lots of MP-1 batteries dying in recent years and the MP-2s are starting to fade now as well. The upshot of a flat battery will just mean you loose all your patches, so write them down and/or back them up via midi sysex dump.  Also changing the battery will loose your patches, I think MJMP has a method to do it without patch loss, well for MP-1 not sure re MP-2.

Harley Hexxe:
Hey j4q0,

I have two MP-2's and I'll admit they can be a pain to get a tone tailored to your needs, but it can be done and it's worth the time to sit down with it. I'm sure you can get the type of tones that you describe in your post, although I haven't heard anything from the bands you listed lately. I do know the MP-2 can keep up with modern guitar amps quite easily, so if you sell it, you'll more than likely have sellers remorse afterwards.
    I do have a Classic rig set up for my main tones, and I wouldn't part with that, but I still use the MP-2 rig with it for some of the heavier tones I cant get from the Classic, and for some of the lead tones.
    I haven't replaced the input jacks on either of my MP-2's they are fine, so no need. I also haven't done any noise mods on them and it isn't that much of an issue. However, I do agree with Richard about the tubes. long plate Mullards, do make a difference in the quality of the sound but you need to have it up to stage volume to hear it.
    If I need to do a battery change in either of them, I wouldn't worry about memory loss, as I've dumped the same programs into both of my MP-2's, via MIDI SYSEX Dump. IF I didn't have that option, I would have saved them into my laptop, as there are MIDI librarian programs that will do that. You just need a USB to MIDI cable to accomplish this, and those are cheap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version