ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NPupsD!  (Read 16701 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
NPupsD!
« on: Time Format »

..New Pickups Day!   :whoohoo!:

Finally have the DiMarzios installed and wired up in one of my Kellys.  SC was very helpful with providing wiring schematics and such, but I already had it wired up another way before I got to his most recent email with a schematic attached.  I may try it that way in the future, but for now.... wiring this stuff was so damn fiddly and tedious that I'm not in any hurry to do it all over again!  So, I hope I like these pups.  lol

The way I have this wired (for now) is that the push/pull only changes the neck pup from a normal Series humbucker to a Parallel humbucker.  This seems to get more of a single-coil tone from the humbucker without all the buzz normally associated with single coil pups because it's still cancelling the hum by using both coils (EDIT: at least I think it's still cancelling some hum...it's still quiet anyway)  We'll see how I like that, but we'll have to see how I like the new passive humbuckers in their normal mode first.   I played a bit at home, seems a lot different than what I had before with the EMGs.  I'll have to get over to the rehearsal place to actually try with the Rig of Fire to make some more determinations.

But here's the attached pic.  Sorry about the fingerprints and smudges.  I like a clean guitar and try to keep it clean as much as I reasonably can, but this is ridiculous and I swear I will never own another Black guitar again unless maybe it's a Flat or Matte Black.  >:(   
But you can see I swapped the chrome pole pieces with the black ones in a strategic and matching way.  The Breed pickup in the bridge originally had chrome pole pieces, and the PAF Pro in the neck had the black ones.   I'll keep us posted about how I like these pickups, and if they are indeed right for me.   :wave:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
Re: NPupsD!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

That's looking pretty good Kim,

I know where you are coming from about the wiring hassle, as I've been dealing with a bit of that in my Showmaster guitars and it's proving to be a major pain in the a$$.

Since the Showmasters come with a volume and tone knob, and a 5-way blade switch, I'm thinking about getting the DiMarzio EP1112  and doing some wiring mods with that. I'm not really sure what I'm after with those, but it could prove interesting.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Last night I had my first gig since getting the new DiMarzio Breed and PAF Pro pups in one of my axes.   :thumb-up:

Oh yes.....I will be keeping these pups in that guitar because it sounded great!  I brought both guitars for the gig, and ultimately only used the black one just because it was sounding so good and just felt like it was singing just right.  I can't really explain it like others can....other than everything just clicked.  The quality of that particular chunk and heft I look for was all there in spades. I didn't readjust any my normal EQ settings either; left everything right where it is for now. The EMGs really are nice, but I don't feel like they are right for me anymore like I always used to think.  Meh, tastes change and I'd be a fool to think otherwise because I already know how they changed for a lot of things over all the years. So, I will definitely be on the lookout for another pair of DiMarzio pickups for the other guitar.  8)  EMGs are going to market to help offset the purchases.

Now for the other guitar I'm thinking of trying a Crunch Lab paired with something else, perhaps the LiquiFire?  .....SC will undoubtedly have a great recommendation for a DiMarzio pair to try; IMO he's definitely the guy to listen to for that advice.   :bow:   

« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I hear ya on the tedious factor...my Steinberger gave me fits.

SC will probably recommend the Liquifire/Crunchlab combination, as he uses them extensively ;)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I hear ya on the tedious factor...my Steinberger gave me fits.

SC will probably recommend the Liquifire/Crunchlab combination, as he uses them extensively ;)

(Almost) on the money 8)
The CrunchLab bridge is my favorite pup hands down. If you like the Breed you’ll love the CL. It has the same character in a tad bit more modern and complex way.
I’ve gone back to the Air Norton in the neck though (installed with the slotted screws towards the bridge)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I stand corrected  :thumb-up:

SC is the only other person (besides me) that I know of to use the PU backwards in the neck
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I have the Air Norton in the neck position of both my MIK Showmaster guitars, but I have the slotted screws toward the neck for more warmth. I like that tone for soloing on the neck pup.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I have the D activator in the bridge with the Air Norton in the neck. Love the A.N. but might have to swap the D Activator for a Crunch Lab. The D/A is alright but that's the problem it's only alright.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

@ SC
I put the megadrive in my guitar man, and I put the bar facing the neck and pole pieces facing the bridge.

Very happy!

Have to buy another one although they are hard to find as it's only a custom shop model now days.

So for what it's worth I recommend the Dimarzio Megadrive.

Shit loads of tone, notes stick to your fingers, loads of mids, sizzle hi's, all good in a very dark guitar!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

If I had a dark sounding guitar, that would be helpful. In my case it's the opposite. The MIK guitars tend to be on the bright side and kind of thin sounding, so I lean more toward pickups that put more emphasis on the low mids and low end.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

If I had a dark sounding guitar, that would be helpful. In my case it's the opposite. The MIK guitars tend to be on the bright side and kind of thin sounding, so I lean more toward pickups that put more emphasis on the low mids and low end.

Funny my guitar is MIK (Stagemast),  perhaps "dark" is the wrong word, it sounded very "woody" before, very "bold", not enough sparkle.  It also felt a little too "open". 

It's a through neck like your showmaster.  But compared to my Bolt on Showmasters, it's a lot bolder in tone.  The megadrive gives a bit more bight and seems to compress the dynamic a little bit to make for a nicer feel.  It also allows me to get some "chimey, chimey" highs should I try to play in that super flexible wrist type of way with the pick only glancing the strings.  It's not too compressed, just it is compared to the stock pup that came out.  It rounds off the stiffness and gives some nice sensivity.

Perhaps overboard in description there but was trying to some it all up.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I echo the Crunch Lab and MegaDrive as I have both.  If it helps, for modern metal I'd go with the CL, but if you're going for 80s sleaze the MD is the pup for you.  My Air Norton shares a guitar with the MegaDrive and I find it to look the balls I want in a neck pickup; the Liquifire takes the Air Norton and basically rolls off all the good parts and it just sounds weak and meh.  Just my take on it, though. I've been curious to try a Super 2.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I have a Super 2 I wish to install in the neck of one of my Showmasters.  I got it ages ago to pair with the DP100 I have in the bridge.  When I get round to it I'll let you know what I think.  I have only heard good things about it.  Still classed as a high output pup despite the more standard 8 ohm resistance measurement.  Quite high on the MV readout though.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

The Showmasters are not thru-neck guitars rather, they are set-neck guitars along the line of Gibsons. When they were current on the catalogs, they were advertised as having Mahogany necks and a Basswood body, but I can see through the finish on the back of my S-S-S guitar, that the body as actually African Mahogany as well as the neck.
    When I got my first one in '07, it was hanging on the used guitar section in GC, and I picked it up for $250. It had a very comfortable neck and was in good shape, so I bought it. It came with it's stock pups which were SD's, (Pearly Gates in the bridge, and RWRP JB in the neck). As soon as I plugged it in when I got home, I knew those pups were out of there. It was all high end, and thin sounding. Currently, that guitar has the Air Zone in the bridge, and the Air Norton in the neck. The Air Norton actually delivers more of the kind of sound I want to hear from the guitar which is a full range type of sound with a lot of clarity all around, and it does have a decent emphasis on the low end. The Air Norton seems to have a lot more output compared to the Air Zone in the bridge, and I've toyed with the idea of replacing the bridge pickup with a Norton to balance the output a bit more, but I don't want to lose that warmth. The Airbuckers are advertised as a warmer. more vintage version of their original counterparts. For a short time, I did have a Tone Zone in the bridge of the other H-H guitar, but I took it out because it was too nasally for my taste, too much emphasis in the upper midrange. I replaced that with a Steve's Special in the bridge, and that guitar now produces tones that are very reminiscent of Waddy Wachtel's tone on Warren Zevon's Werewolves Of London.
   I have been thinking that I may try a Mo Joe pup in the bridge, but I'm not sure if I want that kind of tone in my bridge pick up, as that could be a little too muddy. I may just get a Norton and try it.

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Harley, report back to me on the Norton.  I was wondering, since the Air Norton doesn't have the balls I'm looking for, of what the regular Norton would sound like in the neck.  I tend to prefer bridge pups in the neck because I'm a crazy person.  I have a Flying V with a pair of X2Ns and a Les Paul with a Tone Zone in the neck.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up