Non ADA Gear > Amps

Power Amp volume

(1/2) > >>

Soloist:
I was wondering if anyone here runs their power amp wide open? I used to for some power amp distortion, but more and more I find myself running my MT200 in the 1:00 position and adding more preamp volume at the mixer. Who prefers what and why?

rnolan:
Good question.  In a PA context I always turn the power amps full up so there's maximum headroom.
For my guitar rig(s) I tend to run the poweramp (B200s) at around 1 to 3 o'clock depending how loud I need to be.  From a gain structure and noise perspective, it's better to turn the preamp up so the amps input is being driven solidly and well above the input circuits noise floor, then use the output knobs to adjust for overall volume (as you have gravitated to).  I don't chase poweramp distortion, and it's probably not a great idea with transistor output stages eg B200s, MT200.  If you had an all tube poweramp you could but I prefer to shape all the tone and distortion in the preamp.

Dante:
I run my preamps about 12:00 and use my power amps for volume. Each one is different, but neither is wide open. The MT-200 runs about 12:00 - 1:00 at gigs.

Kim:
My Classic 60/60 is currently at 6 on each input volumes...if don't think I'll need it any higher than that.  :thumb-up:

Samuraipanda:
I run my Mesa 295 full out but on the Class A 30W per side setting. I just adjust my volume with my effects unit.
When I use my MT100 I usually have the channels at about 12:00. Don't want to fry it running too high/hot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version