Miscellaneous > Recording - Studio Talk

Michael Wagener interview/Reverb 2016

<< < (2/4) > >>

rabidgerry:
Well I like a lot of the stuff from back then, some dripping with processing and some not so much.

I like reverb as I like the impression it can give of dimensional quality.  I drop stuff in like this on my own recording and I'm sure people do frown and think "disgustingly 80's", but that's what I like and think is best.  If I am honest though I'm still not where I want to be hence only using some stuff minimal, it's difficult to manage lots of reverb as it can sound like to much, wash stuff out, or else sound unrelated to other elements in the song.  It's taken me a long time to get tom where I am even right now!

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Gerry,

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of stuff which I hear reverbs used creatively, and it really sounds good. It enhances a song, which is what effects are for. There is a song from Rush, on one of their earlier albums, I can't remember the song or album right now, but I remember the way the reverb was used vividly. The song begins with the volume swelling gradually, and there is a rich reverb effect on the whole band, the depth and mix is very wet, then as the volume builds, the depth and mix of the reverb effect is cut back until the music reaches it's performance level, and the effect is completely gone by then.
 This gives the listener the impression that the band is approaching from a great distance until it's right in your face.

I agree with you on the point of different reverbs, it is difficult. This brings up another band from the 80's to my mind, Bon Jovi. I'm not exactly sure, but the overall sound of their recordings is WAY over processed, and I think it's too many different reverbs clashing against each other. I could be wrong, or there could be even more on top of that. If you listen to "Bad Medicine" it's a great tune, but it sounds like it surrealistic, very unnatural. I could put on a Skid Row album after that and that band sounds more like a live band than Bon Jovi did.

Micheal Wagener also did Extreme's first two albums, and even though the reverb is very up front in those albums, it didn't take anything away from the band's performance.

MarshallJMP:
Another great album was Whitesnake 's 1987 album, great songs but way too much processing.

rabidgerry:
I guess I agree with ya Harley, but then I might offer up some examples that you think are too processed also.

Here are tWO examples of very 80's heavy metal production - if you do not like the music or band try and think of the production objectively  :) to me this is pure f**king genius and I love how it sounds, I wouldn't want to hear the songs any other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=206m_H8GzmY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtu20Ejv3SI

Harley Hexxe:
Hey Gerry,

Actually, I like Priest, and I agree there is a lot of processing in those two examples, but I don't feel it's over processed. It's actually very tastefully done IMHO, and here is why I think so:

I can hear the guitars are heavily chorused, but the effect is on the guitar amps, not on the tracks. Now here is something I learned in a studio back in the 80's, when using a thick, or heavy chorus effect to essentially double the sound it's added to, there are two ways to do it. One way is time shift modulation, the other is pitch shift modulation. If you want to combine Chorus and Reverb without it getting muddy, then the best way is to use pitch shift modulation for the Chorus, because Reverb involves time shifting. This way, the time shifts do not clash with each other.
    This is also true when two guitars are chorused. I believe I am hearing this on the 1st link. The guitars are heavily Chorused with no Reverb, but both are very distinct. I hear the Reverb applied to the Vocals, and to the Drums. The Vocals have a Hall Reverb while the Drums have a rich Plate Reverb that is placed after the Compression and EQ effects, and I believe I am picking up a very short Delay on the Snare Drum, almost inaudible.
   In all, I believe this is how you can use heavy processing, yet still keep it sounding like a live band, just with an enhanced sound.

@MJMP, Yes, there is a lot of processing on that album, but like the above, it's not so much that it works against the band. It actually makes the band sound more exciting.

Just my humble opinion according to my personal tastes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version