Miscellaneous > Recording - Studio Talk

Michael Wagener interview/Reverb 2016

(1/4) > >>

Kim:
Ran across this interesting interview.  See what's in the rack in the background of the cover pic?  He brings up a few real good points, and perhaps even one controversial one.  I also didn't realize the Lake Geneva, WI connection either....that's like an hour or so drive from me! :o
Michael Wagener 2016

MarshallJMP:
Is it an MP-1 I see there  ;D

Great interview. :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe:
Interesting interview Kim,

I have seen another interview with Micheal where he raves about the Kemper Profiler. He's hung up on those things and for that reason, I don't believe he and I would see eye to eye. He is a purist when it comes to recording drums, and does it the old fashioned way, with microphones, but now he insists on recording guitars direct with the Kemper, with the occaissional punch-in.
  Maybe I'm just getting old and set in my ways, but I am a firm believer that the electric guitar is three components basically; Guitar>Amp>Speakers. If you take away any one of those three things, you are missing a part of the instrument.

rabidgerry:
Good article.  I was surprised about the Kemper also.  Perhaps a little disappointed actually that he uses it.

I know I use speaker impulses which is similar to amp profiling, but this is more so to do with convenience and practicality for me.  It sounds good yes, but I think if I had all the shit Wagener had and a studio I'd probably stick with the old fashioned way.  In fact I know I would  :thumb-up:

Thought it was interesting he had been using digital tape since like 1981!  That was an incredible revelation.

I have not heard the album of which he name drops the band often within this interview, but I bet it does not sound like an 80's record at all!  It probably has 80's signatures on it, but I'm almost sure it will not sound like one of my beloved albums from the 80's that I whorship so dearly.  I've heard modern take on the 80's records before.....................never enough reverb and still stuck through mastering limiter and blasted to bits until the wav files are square as the twin towers used to be!

Harley Hexxe:
I have to agree with Gerry here.

Modern takes on the 80's music really falls short of the mark IMHO. Although there is one point which I would change about it on many of the 80's albums, and that is the reverb. I used to think back then, and still do in the case of many albums, that there was an excess of processing used in the production. While some artists benefit from a bit more reverb, others gad too much which I think took some of the gonads away from their music.

That's just my opinion though

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version