ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using an ART SplitMix4?  (Read 11433 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Anyone using an ART SplitMix4?
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

The Behringer ULTRALINK PRO MX882 Rack Mixer/Splitter/Submixer also has potential if you just wanted 1 send. Or the Alesis Multimix 8 LINE Rackmount Mixer would do the job, again just 1 stereo send.  The Rane SM-82 looks good but discontinued and very expensive in Australia if you can find one.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Luke Gibson

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Thank you gentlemen, I will research all of these.....   :thumb-up:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

I know the SM-82 is cost prohibitive in Australia, partly because they are discontinued, and partly because of availability, but they are available here on ebay for some reasonable prices. My preference towards them comes from owning several other Rane pieces, and their durability. Their equipment is built like military grade, and can take just about anything you can throw at it and keep working.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Luke Gibson

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

I know the SM-82 is cost prohibitive in Australia, partly because they are discontinued, and partly because of availability, but they are available here on ebay for some reasonable prices. My preference towards them comes from owning several other Rane pieces, and their durability. Their equipment is built like military grade, and can take just about anything you can throw at it and keep working.

Harley 8)

What era were these made Harley?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hi LG,

I believe the SM-82 came out in the late 80's following the success of the SM-26 Splitter/Mixer. I have 2 of those, and they were very popular in larger racks for creating and/or blending multiple signal paths in a rack.  I think both of these units were discontinued around the late 90's.

Harley 8)

Luke Gibson

« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Thanks Harley, much appreciated!

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

No problem LG,

Something worth noting about Rane, even though these units are discontinued, Rane still supports them. They will repair anything they made, and they stand by all of their products, past and present.
    As far as technical support, they are very knowledgeable about helping use their equipment with all other brands, even ADA. That's another reason I would recommend their rack line level mixers.

Harley 8)

Luke Gibson

« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Are both the SM-26 and 82 Stereo?

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Yes Luke,

Both have L/R inputs and outputs, however, the are not the same type of units. I'll try to give a brief description of how they work.

The SM-26 is a splitter/mixer, so you can take two signals in, and split them into three stereo outs with independent level and pan control on each channel. You can also do the reverse, six mono channels in, mixed into a stereo out, with the same controls. You can also use it to mix six in, six out if you wanted to, with level and pan control to each channel. This is why it's known as the Swiss Army Knife of splitter/mixers.
    That is the original SM-26 which has a brown face panel, and is hard-wired with an AC cord. The later model, the SM-26B, uses the wall wart power supply, and has a black face panel. this does all of the same things as the older model with one added feature. The SM-26B has jumpers in it you can change to split it 2 X 8, or 8 X 2. the upgrade will allow you to use the Master In/Master Out as level controls for these additional mixes, but with no Pan control.

The SM-82 is a 1U rack 8-Channel Mixer. You can use that  to mix four stereo, (8 Mono), signals into a stereo, (2 CH), line out. This gives you Level and Pan control on each channel, with an Aux Send/Return to each channel. This would be good if you wanted to mix four ADA preamps into a stereo effects chain before your power amps. Unfortunately, you can't split like the SM-26, it only works this one way. You can also use the Aux loop to parallel your stereo effects in the signal chain, and run all four preamps into one stereo poweramp.

I hope this is helpful.

Harley 8)

Luke Gibson

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Thank you for the replay, much appreciated Harley! :thumb-up:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up