ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a gate/suppressor?  (Read 28533 times)

PrimalScream91

Suggestions for a gate/suppressor?
« on: Time Format »

As I'm sure we all know, the MP-1's can be a bit... noisy.

So I'm on the hunt for a good noise suppressor/ gate, but I'm relatively new to rack gear (still using effects pedals for everything else) and I feel like I'm swimming in a crazy ocean right now!  :banana-trip:

I know one of the standby's is the Rocktron HUSH units, but damn is there a lot of em to choose from! What's some of the depots suggestions for a good rack unit?
Guitars: Couple Gibsons, Couple Fenders, Couple Kramers, Couple others...
Amps: MP-1, MP-2, B200S, Couple Marshalls

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: Suggestions for a gate/suppressor?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Check out an ISP Decimator ProRack. Around $300 US new, little pricey but by far one of the best you'll find! I believe the ProRack G is their top of line model at $411 US.

Rocktron's aren't bad, just a bit touchy to set it right without squashing your tone.(Had one for a few years)

Boss NS2 is another cheaper option in pedal form that works pretty good.( I use this on a low setting for pickup noise and Tube Screamer noise only)

What effects unit are you using? I ask because the noise gate in my G Major 2 works really well also. :thumb-up:

Another option is the MP1 noise mod.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I own

a Boss NS-50  (half rack version of like an NS2 I guess - MJMP likes the NS2 IRC)

I also own a Roctron Hush II CX

but I've never integrated these units into my rack setups.  It's so much more convenient to use the onboard noise reduction of my Boss GT5.

Now I got rid of my recent ground loop problem this is all I need to have a very quiet setup and very high volume.

In the future I may implement one of those rack noise units I own, it all depends on what I can travel easiest with.  The little boss half rack is a nice idea.  Kinda sought after as they aren't that common.  I've see then going for a lot more than I paid, I got mine cheap from the states.

Just thought I'd mention what I was using in case it helps you get an affordable unit PrimalScream91
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Soloist raises a salient point, as you are in the process of building a rack, a good rack multi FX that has noise gate (eg the TC GMaj, it will also give you master vol using a CC pedal, you'll need a midi pedal) but this is working toward the wet/dry set up you've been thinking about.

The 2 "must do" mods for the MP1 that come to mind (when/if your up for it) are the noise mod (replace old capacitors, helps allot with the noise) and the MDRT replacement transformer (really opens up the MP1 and also helps with noise).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

PrimalScream91

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

What effects unit are you using? I ask because the noise gate in my G Major 2 works really well also. :thumb-up:

I'm running into the front and my signal path is Wah-Phase-OD-Chorus-Delay. I'll probably integrate a Flanger and Leslie sim in later. I don't use the drive pedal much anymore unless I just want to saturate the hell out of whatever I'm playing, but it definitely contributes to the noise!

Soloist raises a salient point, as you are in the process of building a rack, a good rack multi FX that has noise gate (eg the TC GMaj, it will also give you master vol using a CC pedal, you'll need a midi pedal) but this is working toward the wet/dry set up you've been thinking about.

The 2 "must do" mods for the MP1 that come to mind (when/if your up for it) are the noise mod (replace old capacitors, helps allot with the noise) and the MDRT replacement transformer (really opens up the MP1 and also helps with noise).

I've looked at multi FX units before, but my knowledge of them begins and ends at the Alesis Quadraverb  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

The Quadverb is a good unit, I still use one in my live rig, just mild delay and reverb mostly these days, BTW it has a leslie sim built in.  Each to their own, but the only thing I'd run in front of the MP1 is the wah and do the rest with a stereo multi FX (lots to pick from).  This will help your gain structure and keep the noise down.

PrimalScream91

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I'll definitely look more into them then!

My initial idea for a wet/dry setup would be more cumbersome anyway, i was considering an A/B box with one going straight in and another going through the board.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I used to us an old peavey 2 button switch pedal which I rewired to be A or B or A+B

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Used the Boss NS-2 pedal for years but got it out the pedal case and build it in a 19" rack because I didn't like pedals on the floor. Then later on I used the noise gate of the 3630 compressor, 1 gate between guitar and MP-1 the second gate after the MP-1.But the 3630 wasn't quick enough and I found the Decimator pro rack G which is the best noise gate I ever owned, works perfect. Like mentioned by Soloist, not cheap but worth every penny! I set it up like my 3630 ch1 between guitar and mp-1 ch2 after the mp-1.
Never been a Hush fan. It always worked to soon or it didn't close when it had too. Really hard to set up.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Used the Boss NS-2 pedal for years but got it out the pedal case and build it in a 19" rack because I didn't like pedals on the floor. Then later on I used the noise gate of the 3630 compressor, 1 gate between guitar and MP-1 the second gate after the MP-1.But the 3630 wasn't quick enough and I found the Decimator pro rack G which is the best noise gate I ever owned, works perfect. Like mentioned by Soloist, not cheap but worth every penny! I set it up like my 3630 ch1 between guitar and mp-1 ch2 after the mp-1.
Never been a Hush fan. It always worked to soon or it didn't close when it had too. Really hard to set up.

May be I should sell you that Boss NS-50 mjmp.  The (half) rack version perhaps a little better than the NS-2.  I guess you don't need one though since you have the decimator.  I had a G-string pedal decimator.  Good but in my experience, was no better than any other "good" gate.  The tracking guitar element was good, but at that point I didn't realise other gates do that.

As for the hush, bought it, never used it.  Perhaps I should set it up in my studio since I wont have to cart it around and see what I think.  Have actually read a lot of people saying it's easy to set up, however, I personally assumed it would not be easy.

As for live, I can just stick with my GT5 noise reduction.  So long as I don't set it too high it works well enough for my tastes.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Samuraipanda

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

When I was all rack all the time, I used the Hush II C in stereo. That unit did the trick but got touchy when turning the guitar volume knob down too much or if I got out of my audio technical wireless range.

I used the Quadraverb GT and that had a gate but it was seriously tight and chopped off notes too much.

When I switched to the Boss GT-10 floor effects unit, it had two virtual NS-2 pedals in it. They do a great job.

I have a physical Boss NS-2 that I want to use for my w/d/w setup using two MP-1's but it's a pain for me to use the way I want to like the old Hush IIC.

I've never tried the Decimator stuff. I might have to pick one up used.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I also tried the decimator pedal but didn't like as much as the rack version.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

When I was all rack all the time, I used the Hush II C in stereo. That unit did the trick but got touchy when turning the guitar volume knob down too much or if I got out of my audio technical wireless range.

I used the Quadraverb GT and that had a gate but it was seriously tight and chopped off notes too much.

When I switched to the Boss GT-10 floor effects unit, it had two virtual NS-2 pedals in it. They do a great job.

I have a physical Boss NS-2 that I want to use for my w/d/w setup using two MP-1's but it's a pain for me to use the way I want to like the old Hush IIC.

I've never tried the Decimator stuff. I might have to pick one up used.

What's the difference between the Hush IIC and the Hush IICX?

Just one has meters?  I might set it up.

@mjmp

Yeah I didn't mind the G-string decimator but I rendered it useless when I realised I was just doin stuff wrong and using too much gain and all that sorta novice shit, and then I realised the GT6 (I was using at the time) noise reduction (I guess a virtual NF-1) did the job fine.

ISP bill the g-string pedal as the same as rack, what is different in your opinion?  Or did you just want the pedals off the floor?
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Back when I was using MP-1 preamps, I also had a Rocktron Hush Super C.   I didn't really use or even need the Hush part of it; I just needed the Gate part and it really worked great.  So easy to use, just two knobs....and only one of those to adjust if you only use the Gate part like I did. I've heard some "tone suck" stories about it, but I didn't get any suction at all with my setup.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

@RG Well yes no pedals for me and I like to use 2 gates (before, after the MP-1)

And BTW I still own a Japanese NF-1,it was my first noise gate and never got rid of it.In my pedal board I have a NS-2.
Now I think of it I also have a Hush in my Rocktron patchmate but I never used it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up