ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre EQ or post EQ when recording  (Read 5971 times)

El Chiguete

Pre EQ or post EQ when recording
« on: Time Format »

Ok so after going around in youtube and watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYclg3W1eI8 I think I now got the balls to tackle doing some added eq to my tone, so here is the question: If I go on the DAW and do some EQing to make everything sound better will it be the same to make those same changes, or at least something similar, before recording using my RANE MPE 28 rack EQ?

For a quick example,

a) will I get the same results when I add 4db at 80Hz in my RANE as to add that in the DAW?
b) will I get the same results if I add or substract in the DAW post eq at the same dbs in the freqs that the MP-1 uses for the bass, mid, treb and pres?
« Last Edit: Time Format by El Chiguete »
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Pre EQ or post EQ when recording
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey El, It won't be the same as all eq's are different, though theoretically if you had the same centre feq, slope and bandwidth (i.e. parametric eq) it should come close.

a) you should get close/similar (depends on slope and bandwidth of each eg (and also the eq filter design, lots of variables here...))
b) as above but probably not, though should be similar (all eqs sound different (for many reasons see attached)

A fundamental of recording is capture the sound as faithfully, cleanly and best as possible and only use post eq if you "HAVE" to. If you want to use eq as a FX, you can, in your case IMO it's better done in MP1 / Rane, you are then creating the sound you want to record, and then record that as faithfully as you can.

Another driver here is the eq in MP1 and Rane is analogue, eq in DAW is digital, the attached pdf will help your understanding analogue eq vs digital. You have to spend serious $'s to get a digital eq anywhere near as good as a really good analogue eq (typically they need very wide back plane processing (128bit or wider, the majority dont) to not wreck the signal , check out Bob Katz site, (Mastering Engineer) he had a good discussion on why).
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ok so how about doing the low pass and high pass filtering with eq units before going in the DAW? Do people ever even do that?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey El, yes if they want to keep out hi or low freq.  e.g. it's common on vox to use a 100hz hi pass in PA application (I wouldn't for studio though typically). Although depends on the vocal range and recording setup, I wouldn't do that to Eddy Veder (Pearl Jam) though LoL. Beyer M88 mics were designed for male vocals (though great kick mic BTW) and have 80hz boost built in (like SM57/58 have 5khz boost (presence)). But live you often put 100hz hi pass on vox to keep the bass and drums out of the vocal mics. Hi and low pass filters are used in many ways depending on context, e.g. in reverb programs to simulate a particular room. In your context, your using eq as a FX to make a guitar tone how you like (eq approach for other instruments (e.g. drums, bass, vox, keys, brass etc) is different for each.

I like to go full range, and when reverb programs have either hi or low pass in them I turn it off. But if I have a need (and it's rare), I use them to clean up a sound.

Hey play around with them and if you get a better tone you like  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I always try to get the best sound before i do a record and then after the recording is done and you do the mix you can still add some EQ.

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I always record with the sound in mind.

EQ sculpting in the mix, to give each instrument it's own placed, then only has to be used for that and not for tone shaping.

One thing though, with gain/distortion I always err on the save side, better too little, than too much gain, as you can add gain later, but you cannot take away if it's too much. 8)
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

As Peter says, post production eq is (generally) about placing the various sounds in the overall mix sound scape and hopefully you've captured good sounds faithfully with good levels etc. And as always, less is more. The discussion used to be: do you eq in the mixer before you record to tape (these days more often disk). Part of the thinking was if you eq before tape/disk, you can't undo that if later you don't like it. So you'd record things as flat as possible, you can always add a little sparkle/bottom end etc later. Real drums are a slightly different story, I often give them mild eq pre record but then I'm using eq as a FX to make the tone I want. And experience also guides you over time. Also I'd use much smaller eq boost/cut  (e.g. never more than 1 or 2 db (unless really required (which probably means it's recorded badly))) than in a guitar preamp
But running up a MP1 patch, the eq is all about the tone (so as FX) which you then record as faithfully as you can.

The other eq story (and I'm sure there's more) is using eq to sort out a room albeit a studio or theater/concert hall etc (to create a blank sound stage to mix on), then you want to eq to control standing waves and other room artifacts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up