ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 raw recordings MP1  (Read 15376 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: 2 raw recordings MP1
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Not quite ?, You want the tip to be at an angle to the front of the cab/speaker.  In the pic you had the 57 aimed directly at (close to) the centre of the speaker cone. Just point the tip left toward the outside edge (so the mic diaphragm is (off axis) at an angle to the front of the cab). On axis is directly in line with the voice coil (pointed straight at the speaker (BTW you can try staying on axis and just moving it left or right to point at different parts of the cone (remember tops are in the centre of the cone, bass on the outer edges...)), a little off axis tilt works better though IMHO. You'd do the same with a snare drum i.e. mic it at an angle, the closer to 90 degrees, the more proximity effect but much harder for the diaphragm.

Hey El, I don't know if you already know this stuff so I'll just blurt it out:
Mics and speakers are transducers, mics convert sound waves to electrical signals, speakers turn electrical signals into sound waves. There are various ways to do this but each mic type (dynamic, condenser, ribbon, piezo etc) has an equivalent (almost opposite job but they work the same way) in speakers.

The 57 is a dynamic mic and works in the same way as your guitar speakers. The mic has a small diaphragm (mylar ?) attached to a short tube which is surrounded by lots of insulated copper coils, the tube/coils sits in a magnetic field, as the diaphragm vibrates, the coil movement generates a small voltage, a dynamic speaker (like a guitar speaker) does the same thing in reverse, it has a bigger coil/tube and bigger diaphragm (cone) and takes the amp output signal into its coil which makes it vibrate.

A condenser mic works a little differently (but does the same job (albeit much more acurately)), a condenser mic also has a (mylar?, they vary) diaphragm but impregnated with carbon (so is electrically conductive), this sits between 2 electrically charged plates (so can't move as far as dynamic without bashing (bottoming out)). When the diaphragm vibrates, it changes the capacitance between the two plates which is the signal you want, this is very low voltage so needs a pre pre amp (if you will)) to bring it up to decent level, so condenser mics need power (either battery or phantom (48v) power) to work (power for the 2 charged plates and power for the pre pre amp (best ones use a tube for pre pre amp)). Condensers are much more sensitive (you'll pick up the traffic outside etc) so tend to be used in studios where you have sound isolation and want very accurate sound.  The speaker equivilent is like my QUAD ESL 63's, they are electrostatic speakers, they work the same way as a condenser mic in reverse, they are larger carbon impreganted mylar diaphragms between 2 charged plates, very accurate, but don't go too loud (as they'll hit the plates while vibrating).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

So a quick question, to go off axis I just go straight back and then angle from the tail of the mic so to leave the tip of the mic in the same position?

top mic: off-axis
bottom mic: on axis

El Chiguete

« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Since im a bit stubborn I have to ask again using the attached picture. I believe that what you guys are telling me is to have the mic as in example C correct? To have the mic still in the edge of the center and cone pointed to the outer edge yes?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Since im a bit stubborn I have to ask again using the attached picture. I believe that what you guys are telling me is to have the mic as in example C correct? To have the mic still in the edge of the center and cone pointed to the outer edge yes?

Exactly! C it is! Attack and articulation from the center plus more of the fullness/bottom end/"cream" of the outer part...
Play a lick/riff using the looper in the MPX-G2 and have it repeat while you move the mic
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Well SCs pic = A  :dunno: , but I was trying describe C LoL. A is also worth trying (often you are limited on stage by space and mic stands so you do the best you can with what you have). An do try just hanging the mic (by its lead (wont hurt it or lead))  over the top and place the tip/capsule about half way between the edge and centre (often sounds better BTW  :thumb-up: ). All of these approaches are valid, as SC says if you aim more toward the edge to get more bottom end/"cream" (nice description SC BTW  :thumb-up: ) and more toward the centre to get more bight/tops (sparkle in clean sounds), in between more mids.

And very good idea to loop G2 so you can play with different positions until you hit a sweet spot you like and the mic works well in.

So in the attached pic I have the 2 Rode NT5 condensers aimed a little off axis and not too close to my stereo wired split stack, this worked well for them in that situation, but they are very flat and "faithful to the sound"  mics. If I was playing louder I would pull them back a bit. Also I recorded in the we hours (2 - 3 am) so no cars going past (which they will pick up).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up