ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 Trials  (Read 42651 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: MP1 Trials
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

That's a decent sized capacity.  About the same as where I played last saturday which is about 500. 

Varies capacity wise from 200 to 500 in some places.  You're lucky if you get 50 people though.  And that's not just us, that's touring bands also.  It's so small over here that a big band might pay on Friday and then by Monday another big band might play the same place but gets less of a crowd because everyone has spent all their money for the month going to the first gig.  It suck.

It's usually the local bands that suffer from the big shows a few days before though as everyone will go to see the bigger, more established acts and then give the local stuff they normally come to see a miss because of again the money etc.  If you're the local band though and on the support slot for the bigger band then you get to enjoy that prestiege.  Again it's so small here that it might not even get a great turn out unless you're Justin Bieber  :facepalm:

On Saturday I might try some new tubes in the MP1 and see what the story is.  I'll stick in an A and B Bugera since I know they sound to my liking at least in a 3tm.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

El Chiguete

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

I didnt want to say anything, but are those bass cabs behind the drummer in the wrong place?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Due to stage size that's where they fit. Picture is deceiving though, there is about 2 and half feet between the bass cabs and drum riser.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

I didnt want to say anything, but are those bass cabs behind the drummer in the wrong place?

El I dunno your amount of experience playing live in a band, but in my experience, I have seen some f*cked up positioning of equipment.  Some really dangerous, some really stupid, and some really just pointless.  But a lot of things are stage dependent.

When it doesn't make sense on stage sometimes that's why there is a sound man to correct it out front.

In saying that, Soloist, I know it's a lot cooler to play with all those stacks, but for practicality at the end of the day would you not have taken a guitar stack away from each side to allow those two bass cabs more room?

The only time I see that amount of cabs for guitars at much bigger venues or else open air festivals.

Don't get me wrong I like excess lol  or perhaps some of them are props?

Also where are the mics and monitors out front?  Mind you the guitarist will not need monitors by the amount of speakers already  :lol:
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

ok so never mind the tubes and the feedback issue.

The hum and buzz I'm getting from the unit is a little too much for my taste.  I'm relegating the MP1 to the bench until I get that sorted out.

I use a step down transformer and MJMP told me to check one time to see if the earth pin was actually connected in case that is the issue.  But I remember moving to a different plug outlet in our rehearsal room and that seemed to quieten down the "noise".  But I am thinking it's still too much.  No wonder it goes bezerk with a pedal in front of it with all that shit in the signal.

Just for clarity my Peavey Rockmaster connected the same way does not make as much noise.  How I have made my comparisons was simply by connecting everything up and leaving it.  So not touching the guitar or strings.

Plug in the MP1, noise and hum even using a humbucker.  On single coils the signal to noise ratio is insanely bad.

Plug in the Rockmaster, much quieter, may be even completely quiet on the humbucker, and then just the expected amount of noise using single coils.

Have to do something about this.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Well first you need to see what is the MP-1 noise level and what's so called outside noise.Just plug in the mp-1 but don't plug anything into the input.The noise you are getting this way is the noise generated by the mp-1 itself.Now plug in your guitar,all the noised added is comming from your cables,guitar,interference from other stuff like transformers,neon lights etc....

There are a few ways to lower the noise level of the mp-1.

Soloist

« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

In saying that, Soloist, I know it's a lot cooler to play with all those stacks, but for practicality at the end of the day would you not have taken a guitar stack away from each side to allow those two bass cabs more room?

Don't get me wrong I like excess lol  or perhaps some of them are props?

Also where are the mics and monitors out front?  Mind you the guitarist will not need monitors by the amount of speakers already  :lol:

Well, first off there already is 1 less stack per side. No props on this gig, didn't have excess space to fill. Good eye on the monitors this was the first time we tried in-ear monitors. I think the were Westone or something. I did not like them at all. I will be going back to floor monitors. The singer had the mics and stands and of course was late to set up.(as usual) :facepalm:
Even with the bass cabs tucked in our sound was enormous. So it was a non-issue.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

Soloist

« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

The noise floor on my MP1 is higher than my other preamps as well. If I don't max od1/od2 or the master it is controllable. I don't use my MP1 for ultra hi gain. Hard rock 80's type gain and cleans are what I use it for. Maiden type distortion, and plexi/jcm800 tones from my JMP. Ultra hi gain from voodoo valve or piranha :metal:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Well first you need to see what is the MP-1 noise level and what's so called outside noise.Just plug in the mp-1 but don't plug anything into the input.The noise you are getting this way is the noise generated by the mp-1 itself.Now plug in your guitar,all the noised added is comming from your cables,guitar,interference from other stuff like transformers,neon lights etc....

There are a few ways to lower the noise level of the mp-1.

This makes sense of course!  That will be the first test I do.  Then gradually start connecting stuff up.

The reason I jump to the conclusion I do is because A/B 'd with another pre it's worse and that's using exactly the same settings on the accommodating FX pedal that uses the pre's in the loop.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

The noise floor on my MP1 is higher than my other preamps as well. If I don't max od1/od2 or the master it is controllable. I don't use my MP1 for ultra hi gain. Hard rock 80's type gain and cleans are what I use it for. Maiden type distortion, and plexi/jcm800 tones from my JMP. Ultra hi gain from voodoo valve or piranha :metal:

I know what ya mean, I guess my patch isn't really hi gain though and still noisey.

I like to think I could get away with the stock MP1 and more gain but perhaps not.  I'd really like to get to a point where I can use it with a pedal in front for more thrasy style gain.  I still think it sounds nice.  Everyone said it was good sounding the other week at the gig I used it at.

But lets get to noise issue before anything else.

Soloist

« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Hey Gerry I just remembered something, are using the front or rear input of your MP1? I ask because I was using my front input. One day out of the blue it became obnoxiously noisy, so after dicking around with cables and shit I tried the rear input. Instantly dropped the noise level. So my front input went bad. I never replaced it, I still use the rear input to this day. If that one goes I will have no choice but to replace them. So try the other input, if no change at least you eliminated the inputs from the equation. :thumb-up:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Just make sure when using the rear input it's a V2 model,V1 have a line in at the rear,so not for use with passive pickups.

Soloist

« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

ok then I must have a V2! Cause mine works awesome.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Ahhhhhhhh the old line in rear input   :o.

Well the first mp1 I bought was a v1 AND I of course did the input Mod successfully albeit with some free styled parts (I used a stagg stereo jack as opposed to a switchcraft).

But I sold this as it sounded like a dead donkey.

Then I bought 3TM, all good in the hood!

Then I went, what da f*ck lets by another MP1 as it's cheap!  So this is the MP1 in question and it whether has the Mod done to it or else it's a V2 as both are usable for guitars and passive pups.

I think it might be a V2.  I can't remember if it has the switch on top for line level switching on the loop or not.

Anyways I have been going in via the front input.  I'll try the rear and see if it makes a difference.  My guess is it's noisey, BUT it's also being used with a step down transformer that may not have an actual functioning earth pin.

I'll do the noise by itself test using only MP1
Then test the front and rear inputs.
Then test the earth Pin on the transformer

I did notice that when I moved it from plug outlet that a mixer and whole pile of other stuff was plugged into it reduced the noise a little.  Still bad compared to the other pre.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

When you do the noise mod replace 4 33µF caps on the tubeboard to 10µF/50V (C16,12,7,6).This also helps to get the hum down.As for noise replace the 4 100k anode resistors with metal film resistors.(R6,5,3,2).

V1 mp-1 always have the topswitch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up