ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Fender-y tone  (Read 7009 times)

rickeb1

Looking for Fender-y tone
« on: Time Format »

Just wondering if anyone has any Fender-type patches for the MP-2.  I'm looking for something on the fat, edge-of-breakup end, maybe Stones/Keith Richards rhythm kind of tone.

Thanks!

~ Rick

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Looking for Fender-y tone
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Rick, I don't have any myself, I tend to chase a more Marshall tone. But the factory presets cover a wide range of tones so flick through them and see if there are any that are good starting points for what you want.

Maybe try my rhythm patch (in MP2 patches) and wind your volume knob down to 2 1/2 - 3, and adjust the eq a bit ?

To run up a tone for yourself (Highly Recommended BTW) MP2 voicing: I haven't played at this end of the MP2 much except for crystal clean for my clean sound and now the rhythm patch 5 warm vintage (this is now my main sound!!), initially I was up in the Ultimate High Gain area  >:D LoL.  I'll also give this a go when I get some time, but maybe try the MP2 voices from 1 Crystal Clean (which can break up nicely BTW) through to 5 Warm Vintage and see how you like the gain (again I'd recommend experimenting with the vol knob (and various PU combinations) as you go through them)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rickeb1

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Richard, thanks for the reply and the tips!  I'll do some experimenting some time this week when I have some time. 

By the way, I have a really, really basic question about the MP-2 that I should know, but don't.  :-[  On the MP-1, the cleanest voicing is a solid state clean, and the other 2 settings are tube voicings.  Are any of the MP-2 Clean voicings also solid state, or are they all tube?

Thanks!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the Spanky Clean is the old SS voicing.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Rick, all tube in MP2, no SS voicing.  Also in MP1 compressor was only available for SS voice, not for clean or dist tube. In MP2 everything is available for all voices except OD2 is only available for voices 6 through 10 (the high gain voices). So the voice I currently use for most everything (5 Warm Vintage) has only OD1, which I find is plenty of gain (for what I want/play, even with volume knob at 2.5 to 3). With some experimenting, I'm confident you'll find the sound you want.

@Dante, don't know about spanky clean being sort of equivalent to MP1 SS voice (never tried it (yet)) but you may well be right. While the MP2 is a very different beast to the MP1, they did attempt to kind of include the MP1 sound in the MP2's boundless sound possibilities, e.g. there is a "MP1" factory patch.

With MP1 I used the SS voice for clean sounds (don't think I ever used MP1 clean tube voice ?), so far in MP2 I've always used 1 Crystal Clean for clean sounds. But partly egged on by this discussion, I'm going to try every factory preset (which I've never done) and also the cleaner end of town (voices 1 through 5).

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I couldn't find any documentation online to support my claim that the Spanky Clean voicing is indeed SS. I will say this: The MP-2 had some very nice clean tones. I never realized just how much of my playing is using clean tones until somebody complimented me at a show. It's true though, i do play a LOT of clean stuff (funk, country, etc.).

I feel like you're keeping yourself honest when you're not hiding behind big fat distortion sounds. You get the instrument, not the effects.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Maybe the spanky clean voice was designed to sound like the MP1 SS voice ? I've been turning down the distortion also, getting more creamy bluesy tones, as you say it brings out the instrument much more and the Mullards make such a delightful sound stage. Last night at rehearsal MikeB was sprucking having the best of both worlds in his MP1 with a Boogie STR for it's lovely feedback and a Mullard short plate for 3D ness. Also following from my comment re using the MP1 SS voice for clean sounds he's going to give that a go, but it's 20 years since I used the MP1 so my memory is a bit hazy  :crazy:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Mmm, just checked the 1992 MP1 patches I posted, seems I was using the clean tube voice on the MP1 for clean sounds and not the SS, sorry Mike  :facepalm:
Pages: [1]   Go Up