Miscellaneous > Non-ADA Amps and Preamps

Rockman XL100

(1/21) > >>

rnolan:
Ok, these are very old but RG was asking about this unit (I still have one). This track IIRC the guitars are all XL100. Recorded on a Tascam 688 (8 track cassette).

rnolan:
And another one.

rnolan:
to give some context (this was a long time ago). Although I suspect some of you are familiar with these (or the better rack versions)
The XL100 was like a sony walkman, it was designed to clip to your belt for practicing and had a bunch of AA batteries (power supplies for it came later). It had guit in, 1/4 TRS stereo in (to come off a headphone out so you could play along with it), and 2 x 3.5mm headphone outs, it's own (tweaked headphones), 4 sounds (slide switch, clean 1 and 2, edge and dist), also stereo chorus/delay. Had the Tom Schultz boston sound, very compressed but the bees knees in it's day, so many adds/jingles from that era are XL100. I used it for recording quite a bit back then, sounded great just line in. A mate of mine got one and modded it to be foot switchable (the sliding switch was a pain live). He also got an old fridge and mounted 6 x 12" speakers in it, So he had XL100, SS poweramp, fridge speaker cab. So early version of what ADA did. Sounded great but not as good as MP1/2.

rabidgerry:

--- Quote from: rnolan on May 10, 2015, 06:06:41 AM ---Ok, these are very old but RG was asking about this unit (I still have one). This track IIRC the guitars are all XL100. Recorded on a Tascam 688 (8 track cassette).

--- End quote ---

not keen on the rhythm sound in places, but the lead tone for me is f**king brilliant.  I like it anyways.  Good song man.  Singing is very good.

rabidgerry:

--- Quote from: rnolan on May 10, 2015, 06:40:26 AM ---to give some context (this was a long time ago). Although I suspect some of you are familiar with these (or the better rack versions)
The XL100 was like a sony walkman, it was designed to clip to your belt for practicing and had a bunch of AA batteries (power supplies for it came later). It had guit in, 1/4 TRS stereo in (to come off a headphone out so you could play along with it), and 2 x 3.5mm headphone outs, it's own (tweaked headphones), 4 sounds (slide switch, clean 1 and 2, edge and dist), also stereo chorus/delay. Had the Tom Schultz boston sound, very compressed but the bees knees in it's day, so many adds/jingles from that era are XL100. I used it for recording quite a bit back then, sounded great just line in. A mate of mine got one and modded it to be foot switchable (the sliding switch was a pain live). He also got an old fridge and mounted 6 x 12" speakers in it, So he had XL100, SS poweramp, fridge speaker cab. So early version of what ADA did. Sounded great but not as good as MP1/2.

--- End quote ---

I really like this guitar sound Richard, it reminds me of late 80's Judas Priest.  They were not using rockmans!!  they had

Pete Cornish custom pedalboard with overdrive unit, flanger, MXR distortion unit, MXR Phase 100, MXR digital delay, MXR 12-band EQ, Maestro Echoplex, line boosters between each effect to preserve the signal from input to output, and a RangeMaster-based custom treble boost connected to the bass channel of Marshall 50 and 100 watt heads with no master volume Roland Chorus pedal

check this Richard.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_1hLiqwq7c

ok how I know about Rockman stuff is purely because I was researching Judas Priest sounds back then, and I stumbled upon some guy on youtube with a rockman devise (forget the model now).  Anyways he had used it to try and replicate it on of their songs and I thought he did a good job.  It was the rocknman into his computer and nothing else if I remember correctly.  Sounded great to me.  Yes very 80's, so very f**king good   :banana-rock:.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version