ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound libraries and iLok  (Read 13027 times)

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
Sound libraries and iLok
« on: Time Format »

Chucky turned me onto East West Symphonic Orchestra Silver Complete to run via my MIDI controlled keyboard. I'm down with purchasing it but 90% of the reviews say they have constant issues with this iLok dongle thingy and support is non existent.

Question is have any of you had to use the iLok technology with your software and have you been successful or disappointed with the results? Is there another more reliable product out there that handles this?

'stah

RobbHell

Re: Sound libraries and iLok
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Haven't tried iLok. Are you using Ableton?

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

No, not using anything that requires a dongle.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey 'stah, My ProTools LE uses iLok (developed by Pace technologies) but not a separate dongle as such. It's possible the "dongle" bit is included/integrated in/into the I/O interface hardware (Digidesign DIGI001) as up until recently ProTools only worked with the ProTools hardware which is/was expensive and the software was thrown in. The new versions of PT work with other I/O units but now you pay the big bucks for the software.
I've mostly never had any problems but back when I updated to the last version that supports my DIGI001 (PTLE 6.4) I had pace iLok issues and had to get an updated iLok file from them (Avid Digidesign) to fix it. IIRC I spent a whole weekend getting it to work (trawling through the support etc), iLok was one issue, there were others.
These things can be very hardware and opp system (OS) dependent and can also be affected by antivirus/malware programs, in the old days you plugged dongles into serial ports (hard to find on a modern device) so I suspect the newer versions are USB connected devices which now has multiple versions (1.0, 1.2, 2.0, 3.0 etc) and all monitored by your AV (on access scan). Also the PC and OS, 16bit (back then), then 32bit now 64bit. So upshot is you'd want to make sure it's all compatible with your system. Lack of support is not a good look.
(Is there another more reliable product out there that handles this?), (as in the dongle aspect?) if the software is tied to pace iLok (and it seems it is), there's no replacement alternative (that I'm aware of, although there may be cracked versions of the program (if it's any good I'm sure there will be but probably laced with malware in this day and age (sad but true)). The iLok dependance will probably be compiled into the program code/binaries.
So you may consider another program ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey 'stah, My ProTools LE uses iLok (developed by Pace technologies) but not a separate dongle as such. It's possible the "dongle" bit is included/integrated in/into the I/O interface hardware (Digidesign DIGI001) as up until recently ProTools only worked with the ProTools hardware which is/was expensive and the software was thrown in. The new versions of PT work with other I/O units but now you pay the big bucks for the software.
I've mostly never had any problems but back when I updated to the last version that supports my DIGI001 (PTLE 6.4) I had pace iLok issues and had to get an updated iLok file from them (Avid Digidesign) to fix it. IIRC I spent a whole weekend getting it to work (trawling through the support etc), iLok was one issue, there were others.
These things can be very hardware and opp system (OS) dependent and can also be affected by antivirus/malware programs, in the old days you plugged dongles into serial ports (hard to find on a modern device) so I suspect the newer versions are USB connected devices which now has multiple versions (1.0, 1.2, 2.0, 3.0 etc) and all monitored by your AV (on access scan). Also the PC and OS, 16bit (back then), then 32bit now 64bit. So upshot is you'd want to make sure it's all compatible with your system. Lack of support is not a good look.
(Is there another more reliable product out there that handles this?), (as in the dongle aspect?) if the software is tied to pace iLok (and it seems it is), there's no replacement alternative (that I'm aware of, although there may be cracked versions of the program (if it's any good I'm sure there will be but probably laced with malware in this day and age (sad but true)). The iLok dependance will probably be compiled into the program code/binaries.
So you may consider another program ?

should've clarified, yeah the sw is attached to iLok. I spoke with a guy at work who's used it for years and no issues. It's a great piece of software and I'm willing to roll the dice on it and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.  :metal:

Yeah, back in the day of Limewire and Napster, great days and a lot of fun. But now that I'm older I tend to feel obligated to have legit stuff. :)

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

But now that I'm older I tend to feel obligated to have legit stuff. :)

I've had that feeling ever since my teen years. Also makes you appreciate more what you've got, after having to save up for it first  C:-)

I'm running Cubase, and that has a dongle too (Albeit an eLincenser not iLock).
No problems with it the last 12 years.
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

But now that I'm older I tend to feel obligated to have legit stuff. :)

I've had that feeling ever since my teen years. Also makes you appreciate more what you've got, after having to save up for it first  C:-)

I'm running Cubase, and that has a dongle too (Albeit an eLincenser not iLock).
No problems with it the last 12 years.

Peter, how do you like Cubase? I'm running Sonar 7 and thinking it's time to upgrade to newer version or change all together.

Peter H. Boer

• The Granny Attic
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Peter, how do you like Cubase? I'm running Sonar 7 and thinking it's time to upgrade to newer version or change all together.

I've worked with Cubase, Protools & Samplitude, and Cubase fits my workflow best.
Using Wavelab as dedicated mastering solution

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Peter have you tried cubase pro 8 ?I'm still on 7.5 but the new one really looks good.

Finstah, i can also recommend cubase.Works really great.Maybe a tip,try to get an educational version,they are a lot cheaper.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I've been using iLok for the past 4 years without any issues.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

My investment has been in ProTools, which works fine. Some friends went with qbase and liked it more. Both seem good. Interesting history though, protools comes from digital recording and added midi sequencing, cubase comes from midi sequencing and later added digital recording.

rickeb1

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard, what do you think of the new Pro Tools subscription licensing approach?

Peter H. Boer

• The Granny Attic
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Peter have you tried cubase pro 8 ?I'm still on 7.5 but the new one really looks good.
Stilll on 7.5. (migrated just last summer to 64-bit machine)
Pro 8 looks very interesting, however you must use aero themes, which I do not want to do. I like my graphics as simple and clean as possible.

Finstah, i can also recommend cubase.Works really great.Maybe a tip,try to get an educational version,they are a lot cheaper.
Or just the simpler versions of cubase. If you're not going to use all the extra functions, the cheaper versions work just right.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Rick, I'm not across it, so how do they do it now ? The new versions don't work with my Digi001 which cost me ~ $2.5k back in the day. And these days I don't use it enough to spend lots on upgrading. Generally I'm not a fan of subscription ideas. If you buy the thing you should own it IMO (and they should support it).

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Peter

Aero themes is no problem for me,i think i 'll wait to buy to upgrade until june,usually cubase brings out the .5 upgrade around that time so i can get a free upgrade with the grace period. ;D

Do you mean the artist and elements and AI versions?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up