ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: parametric eq  (Read 41025 times)

El Chiguete

Re: parametric eq
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Just don´t start off at all Tone-Ctrls set to 5 .... 0 on the MP-1 equals 5/noon on standard amp knob  8)

Personally I'm not too sure that's 100%. The MP-1 has an active eq system which both BOOSTS frequencies as well as cutting them, whereas a passive eq system which most amplifiers use, only CUT the frequencies.

After a long time of stubbornly forcing myself to keep the mids above zero (as I've NEVER scooped mids before in my life, since I love the tone of a nice middy amp, and scooping would be sacrilege to me! :lol:) I've finally realised that the way the eq works in the Mp-1 is WEIRD AS HELL versus what we're used to with normal amps  :lol: . A typical setting that I'd use on a standard say, Marshall amp is completely different from that of the MP-1.

Well that all theppends how are the stock freqs set, I meen you can build a normal amp and set the MID that even at 0 it has more MID than any other amp out there... so the same goes for the MP-1 maybe the reqs that you have at their minimun value have more in them than another amp at its max!

BTW I normally run my mids at -8!
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

RobbHell

« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

To Eq or Not To Eq Tis thee question. I use -4 on my mids with a slight eq mod tweaks. For any Modern Metal tone and for any Balls Eq is a must. Even with my 2:90 with the Deep function on the MP1 still needs shaping its Bass department. Sorry 180hz for bass sounds like shit.

RobbHell

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/boogie-eq-pedal.html

bout damn time!
The eq points of a Mesa Mark should be the stepping stones for a Guitar amp period.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Slighty OT....
The Mesa Mark series tone stack is way different than that of e.g. an MP-1 as the Mark series "initial" tone stack is "within" the gain stages, unlike an MP-1 where the tone stack is after the gain stages.
So the gain on a Mark is cascaded in the way the tone ctrls are set. The actual post eq'ing then happens with the 5band graph eq.
To close-emulate that specific EQ these values should get you in a *very close* ballpark:
80Hz @ Q = 1.17
240Hz @ Q = 1.94
750Hz @ Q = 2.12
2200Hz @ Q = 0.68
6600Hz @ Q = 1.0 

RobbHell

« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

It's not off topic were talking Eq.. and duh the tone stacks are in different locations and different values. Thats why I've done my own eq mod to better with with my Parametric and Mesa 2:90.

El Chiguete

« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

To close-emulate that specific EQ these values should get you in a *very close* ballpark:
80Hz @ Q = 1.17

wow I was using Q like at 6 (I think) the other day testing!!!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Interesting how "Q" gets used in various audio descriptions. In sound engineering (when I did the course ~1980) Q = centre Feq (e.g. Q = 80hz, band width = 1.17, shape = notch).
For speakers Q = resonant freq, but seems to be used differently by different people in different decades...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Nice one SC  :thumb-up: , as I was saying, Q is being used differently in difference decades. It mean't centre frequency back then.

El Chiguete

« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Also remember that volume make a huge difference due to the Flethcher Munchon curves. You ears hear the sound flat (as it is) at 98db (reasonably loud), at lower levels the mids are more dominant (most sensitive part of our hearing) so you need to boost bass and Treble (like a loudness button on stereo), above 98db the curves reverse and bass and treb appear louder (to your ears) than the mids...

How would you recommend checking how many db is coming out of my cab? Allways wanted to meassure how much my 5watt amp is making!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

You need an Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter and then it can get a bit complicated as different db weightings are applied for different reasons.
These days there are reasonably simple SPL meters available that give you ball park (designed for people to take to concerts etc IIRC).
There's probably a phone app that does it ?? though the mics in phones are all about speech so not sure how accurate it would be, but then unless you are doing a frequency analysis of your room, simple is probably good enough.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Interesting how "Q" gets used in various audio descriptions. In sound engineering (when I did the course ~1980) Q = centre Feq (e.g. Q = 80hz, band width = 1.17, shape = notch).
For speakers Q = resonant freq, but seems to be used differently by different people in different decades...

Q is not the center freq but the quality factor of the filter,so the higher the Q the lower the bandwith the better the filter is,and also harder to construct.

For speakers the resonant freq is called Fs,again Q also stands for quality factor Qts which can be calculated from Qes and Qms.Qes is the electrical quality factor and Qms is the mechanical quality factor.These are part of the Thiele and Small parameters to calculate a cab for a specific speaker.All the parameters can be found in the datasheet of the speaker.

Metropolis

« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Any opinions on Symetrix 551e?  Or Aphex 109
Custom Built Ibanez RG (2)
ADA MP1
Rane SP15 5 Band Parametric EQ
Rocktron Intellifex
ADA Microcab II
Tube Works MosValve 962
Custom Built 2x12 Mesa Clone Cab V 30

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator

El Chiguete

« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

Too bad we are anal on it beeing pure analog eq because im getting a Behringer Half Rack DSP8024 for $50 bucks...

PS:
I think that an analog half rack eq that has say the 10 more guitar focus eq bands would be a great thing!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up