ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ground loop issues  (Read 7086 times)

ang3lus

ground loop issues
« on: Time Format »

hey all,

i recently fired up my unit for the first time, it fires up fine but when i try to connect output A or B to a mixer or amp reeturn i get horrible hum, the ground loop hum, my unit is 110v and i'm using a step up transformer to 220v.

the hum happens also when the unit is OFF, so it must be a loop, i'm using a normal guitar cable, maybe using non shielded cables will help ? haven't tried it yet.

when pluggin from headphone out to the mixer or amp return i get no such issues, everything is dead quiet.

Rusty

Re: ground loop issues
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

hey all,

i recently fired up my unit for the first time, it fires up fine but when i try to connect output A or B to a mixer or amp reeturn i get horrible hum, the ground loop hum, my unit is 110v and i'm using a step up transformer to 220v.

the hum happens also when the unit is OFF, so it must be a loop, i'm using a normal guitar cable, maybe using non shielded cables will help ? haven't tried it yet.

when pluggin from headphone out to the mixer or amp return i get no such issues, everything is dead quiet.

Try feeding the mixer or amp return from the MP1 send line out jack, use a known good working guitar lead and keep the mixer or amp volume way down and tell us what you got ?

Unshielded cables are no good, they will make the matter worse.

You say that your MP1 unit is a 110V one and your mains is 220V, then your stepping down, just for correction.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Sounds like the A and B output jacks have been replaced with normal jacks that earth to the chassis/case rather than jacks with a plastic/insulated sleeve so they don't connect/contact to the chassis.  This was an issue MikeB discovered when he changed the output jacks on his B200s with normal style jacks and fixed when he put in insulated jacks instead.The Fx send always has a signal (volume controlled by the send/return knob), as Rusty suggests, try it, the signal is after the tube/gain stage but before the chorus (where it goes stereo and then feeds the A and B outs).Always use "known good" shielded leads, as Rusty says, unshielded cables will make it much worse  :facepalm: .You can use the headphone out to feed L/R mixer inputs for recording, the output has the treble reduced (like a cab simulator) to feed full range gear (like headphones, full range monitors etc.)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

ang3lus

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

interesting, I thought the unit was not messed with, I will add washers, it makes sense actually.

I will test the unit beforehand thru the send connection, gotta do the battery mod anyway and replace the caps maybe, i haven't been inside yet.

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Yes, I was thinking something along those lines too as rnolan says about the output jack earths grounding scheme. Those jacks need further inspection.

You will know by looking at the solder joints if they have been re-soldered and "maybe" the wrong jack types were accidentally put in there. I'm not a 100% sure on that as of yet.

Take some good pics when you take the lids off and post them up please for us to inspect, keep good info coming and it should become obvious what the problem is.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

There's a picture of the output jack on MJMPs site (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  It's a PCB mounting jack and is clearly isolating.  Unfortunately he's out of stock and it's no longer made.
@MJMP, is there a suitable replacement ?
My thinking here is that you said:1. Hum happens with unit on/off (I'm assuming connected to mixer or amp return in both states) so shouldn't be in the output circuit.  However, if the jacks are fine then there must be something else causing the hum
 2. the headphone out works and is dead quiet, this feeds off the output circuit much the same as the A & B outs but has a couple of caps to filter off the tops a bit so you don't have to change the patch eq (which will have more tops to feed guitar speakers but too much for full range (tweeters) speakers).
It seems (from MJMPs site) the same jack is used for a bunch of stuff (Replacement jack for MP-1 rear input jack (V1.38 models) output,headphone,effect send and MQ-1 input,MQ-1 output), none of which earth to the chassis.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

ang3lus

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

well i had some time to check and there's no hum from the effects loop out send to the mixer or return to the amp.

i will pop open the unit today and check

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey R, I have the rear jacks, the one you are referring to is the old style input jack.

ang3lus

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

unit is completely stock, opened it today, the output jacks haven't been changed, is there anything else to check ?

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Can you take some hi-res pics of the mainboard and some of the midi board top?

ang3lus

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

ang3lus

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Two

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Pic 1 is the digital side of the mp-1, can you take a pic of the analog side (left side). Also can you take a pic of the bottom side of the midi board.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

ang3lus

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

sorry, have not had the time cause of the COVID situation to do anything.

I recently inspected the unit closely, it appears that my hum is originating at the transformer, it vibrates and i can i hear it clearly thru the chassis, probably some laminates got loose, will have to replace that i reckon

Rusty

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

How bad is it humming? Transformers all do make a low frequency line voltage hum in any equipment. Mechanically through the chassis and electrically in the current path.

I don't think that the hum is down to loose laminations.

You posted in an earlier post, it's OK with headphones and the effects loop.

You have something wrong way upstream from the PSU.

The problem is elsewhere, not the MP-1 XFRMR.

Let me look at the schem for a while,

« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up