ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help - Soul and R&B patches needed !!  (Read 5050 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey fellow MP-2 aficionados, I'm having a play with a soul/R&B band on Sat arvo (Soul Trader, allegedly: bass, drums, keys, me, and 2 female singers), all my patches are rock oriented, so I'd appreciate some patches/ideas/good Fx ideas if you have any ? I suspect it's time for me to discover voice 2, 3, and 4 (rather than 1, 5 and 9 >:D ).  It crossed my mind that phaser would be useful ?, crap I haven't used phase in years (since I had a MXR phase 45, first Fx I ever had...).
@Dante, you play a bit of soul stuff IIRC ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Help - Soul and R&B patches needed !!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

That's out of my territory, so can't help you out here. :facepalm:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, yeah it's a bit out of mine as well, but I'll give it a shot  :thumb-up: . Up side is I actually like quite a few of the songs in their set list, but just never played them before, or did much more rocked up versions of them LoL.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Here I am, three months later...discovering this thread  :facepalm:

The MP-2 has great clean tones, go with one of those. Use a hollow-body or semi-hollow guitar if you have one, but it's not a deal breaker at all. Keep your toggle switch on the middle or neck position, play those chords as big as you can. Bar chords are fine, and don't ignore those great 7th and minor 7th chords, very bluesy with more notes playing per chord than a typical Blues song using only 2-3 strings. Use em' all.

Above all, trust your ears more than your head. I learned a great deal about little nuances of adding/subtracting notes in chords by playing ol Motown stuff (Stevie Wonder, Temptations, etc).

I hope that helps.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, thanks for the tips :thumb-up: , I just went with my MP-2 clean sound and the Anderson, middle PU coils switched parallel and neck PU coils in series.  Also I have the middle PU screwed as low as it will go (to stay out of the way of my picking).  It worked well, and the band liked it.  But I pulled out of that band now as our main band (1st World Problems) is getting a leg up and taking more time & energy.  We now have a singer and our bass player came back (after a long health related hiatus). So I'm back playing rock guitar  >:D and singing backup vox  :whoohoo!: . I had been playing bass a doing most of the singing with Mike doing all the guitar (although we usually switch roles for Foxy Lady).

I did enjoy the funk/soul/R&B thing and, as you say, using a wider variety of inversions and chord voicing.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Man, the more things change, the more they stay the same....I am in three bands now, but the last one is really an old one that got back together too ;) Pretty cool.

Band one: Best Cover Band in Sacramento (google it!) The Tone Monkeys!!
Band two: ZZ Top Tribute Band (4-5 really good paying gigs/year)
Band three: day-do-day Classic Rock band (good for a gig or two per month, lots of extended 'jams' aka solos)
Pages: [1]   Go Up