Non ADA Gear > Guitars

Heavier strings and Locknut?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Harley Hexxe:

--- Quote from: MarshallJMP on December 29, 2016, 10:47:00 PM ---Or you could make the right size screw by cutting a bigger one shorter?

--- End quote ---

That's what I would have done. Just get slightly longer screws and take them to a bench grinder to bring them down to size, then taper the ends and run them through a die to chase the threads at the start and clean them up. I would get the screws from a machine shop though instead of a hardware store. I don't have too much affinity for Chinese fasteners since they are made of inferior alloys, and in some cases what we call "pig-metal." I prefer hardened steel for a more solid connection and better vibration transfer.

MarshallJMP:
I use a special cutter tool to cut the small size screws.

Harley Hexxe:

--- Quote from: MarshallJMP on December 30, 2016, 04:43:43 AM ---I use a special cutter tool to cut the small size screws.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I have cutters for smaller screws, but hardened steel at .250" is a different story. I've ruined a cutter or two that way :lol:

MarshallJMP:
I can go up to M6 (6mm) with mine.

herbyguitar:
I've been using aftermarket screws for several years now. I had a couple of screws that the hex driver stripped out so went looking for replacements. Found a great shop in Joplin MO called 'Shamrock Bolt And Screw' that carries every type of fastener you could possibly want. They have 'billions and billions' of them   :thumb-up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version