ADA Preamps > Original MP-1

MP1 just not sounding right

(1/3) > >>

Bazza:
Hi guys can we still get the 1.38 Firmware? If so could it be installed into a 2.0. I tried putting in the Settings that were used by the 80’s hair metal bands and it sounds like crap. I watched Leon Todd’s vid on that type of tone and my MP1 sounds nothing like it. So I’m trying to find out if my one has a problem. Thanks for any advice?

rnolan:
Hey Bazza, I don't know anyone selling the 1.38 EPROM although I'm sure lots of people have one lying around after upgrading.  And yes you can change out your 2.0 EPROM and put in a 1.38 but that's kind of going backwards and I don't think it will fix your tone problem.  IIRC the 2.0 EPROM mostly just added more factory patches (and maybe faster program changes  :dunno: it was  long time ago I went from 1.38 to 2.0), but it still had the original set of patches and added a few more to it.  The last EPROM 2.01 lets you save to/from PC over midi connection.  None of the EPROM changes affected the tone.

It would seem something else is wrong if you can't get "close" to a similar sound.  Where did you get the patches for the 80's bands ?  Did Mr Todd say what his patch settings are ?  Does your unit sound good?

It doesn't surprise me that using someone else's patch(s) doesn't sound exactly the same but you think they'd be ball park.  Also lots of things affect the tone, guitar, pickups, how you play, how you run your rig (stereo sounds allot better than mono), Fx and how you patch them in, cabs, speakers, tubes, chorus on with depth 100 and rate 0 (nice fat short delay), trim pots etc.E.g. having a Marshall and a strat doesn't make you sound like Richie Blackmore.When I first got a MP1 I had been using my 73 Marshall 50.  The MP1 sounded heaps better and had lots of patch and volume options.  I used patch 1 Marshall as a starting point (for some patches) but then modified the patches to suit my setup.  I wasn't trying to copy anyone else's sound, I dialed in my own and tweaked them (mostly master vol changes) over time and at "stage" levels (i.e. loud).

rabidgerry:

--- Quote from: Bazza on May 14, 2020, 06:39:29 PM ---Hi guys can we still get the 1.38 Firmware? If so could it be installed into a 2.0. I tried putting in the Settings that were used by the 80’s hair metal bands and it sounds like crap. I watched Leon Todd’s vid on that type of tone and my MP1 sounds nothing like it. So I’m trying to find out if my one has a problem. Thanks for any advice?

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately there are so many variables with setup to factor in.

What is your setup? Guitar > preamp > poweramp > speaker cab?

rabidgerry:
Just to add a bit more info, firmware will not alter the sound, I don't care what Michael Wagner says :lol:

Bazza:
It’s not even in the ball park It’s mire like 3 blocks away from the park and around the corner. I am using a Washburn N4 into the MP1 into a Rocktron verlocity 100 into a Mesa 4x12 slant cab with V30’s or a Marshall DSL 20 both are sounding similar.
It should be patch 45 or the Micheal Wagner Tone
OD1 4.0
OD2 5.5
MG 7.5
Bass 12
Mid 0
Pres 12
My patch 45 is clean so I’m thinking this could be one of the updates.
If I could get something like I would be happy.
I can get some good metal tones like early Metallica and such but that 80’s metal sound is just not there for me.
I understand changing back is not worth the time or effort. I have been thinking of taking it to my tech and letting him give it a good look over I know pots and such can decay over time and maybe that could be my problem I will admit my unit had been around the block a few times.thanks again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version